Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs
Aug 31, 2004 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Budley007

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I've been listening to NM for a couple of years now. She grew on me. I would rank her up there quite well now with my top 20 performers.

Question: I feel as if I only partially know Natalie. Can anyone recommend a couple of the 10,000 Maniacs albums? All suggestions would be appreciated.

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 21
Numero Uno - "In my Tribe."
Numero Dos - "Blind Man's Zoo."
Numero Tres - "10,000 Maniacs Unplugged."

That should do it. Avoid the Wishing Chair and the other later albums, ESPECIALLY the one which doesn't even have NM in it (although the cover of Roxy Music's "More than this" wasn't too bad)

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Numero Uno - "In my Tribe."
Numero Dos - "Blind Man's Zoo."
Numero Tres - "10,000 Maniacs Unplugged."

That should do it. Avoid the Wishing Chair and the other later albums, ESPECIALLY the one which doesn't even have NM in it (although the cover of Roxy Music's "More than this" wasn't too bad)

Gracias
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 21
yeah get the 10kM unplugged. That one is audiophile quality both recording and performance. excellent....

k.s.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KShaft
yeah get the 10kM unplugged. That one is audiophile quality both recording and performance. excellent....

k.s.

Thanks for the recommendation, KShaft. For some reason, its their only recording I've never gotten around to buying. I had no idea it was that good. I will remedy this on my next trip to buy cds.

JC

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 21
They just put out a best of for 10,000 maniacs. But I like In My Tribe best.

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
They just put out a best of for 10,000 maniacs. But I like In My Tribe best.

I just listened to In my Tribe all the way through again last night. I don't know if the "DDD" recording has anything to do with it, but this old CD of mine really shines on my home rig - and that's with the Cmoy pushing it temporarily too!

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KShaft

k.s.

well, compared to "Tiger Lily", i'd say no contest. on 10kM, she mumbles badly, and the instruments are everywhere. on TL she articulates, and the music is much cleaner. it's my second favorite "clean disc", just a smidge behind "Breaking Silence" by Janis.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 21
Speak of teh devil, my copy of Campfire Songs, the 2CD best of just came. Disc 2 is just B-sides and rarities, I never have much luck with those, but oh well. But remastering is usual Rhino suspects Inglot & Hersch who typically do fine work. I'll report results later.

Now if only they'd release a remastered In My Tribe, I'd be all set!

Mark

Sep 1, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
well, compared to "Tiger Lily", i'd say no contest. on 10kM, she mumbles badly, and the instruments are everywhere. on TL she articulates, and the music is much cleaner. it's my second favorite "clean disc", just a smidge behind "Breaking Silence" by Janis.

Tigerlily eh? I'll have to go listen to that when I get home tonight.

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert

You and I have very similar tastes. "Tiger Lilly" and "Breaking Silence" are two of my most favorite test discs as well. Merchant's "Ophelia" is also a very good album with great sound quality. I don't have much experience with the 10,000 Maniac's Unplugged album.

In general, MTV Unplugged albums have really good sound quality. Most notable is Clapton's. Alice in Chains' is also top notch. I recently purchased The Corrs' which is also quite good but maybe just a notch down the scale. Nirvana's is in the same category as the Corrs' sound wise, but the performance is of course legendary. Sorry to roam off topic.

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 21
Holy cow, this Best Of is just great. It transports me back to 1987 when I was 17 and had a BIG OL' CRUSH on Nathalie Merchant. She has one of those voices that just... I don't know, "takes you away". That voice is just sooooo moving...

Remastering is just phenomenal. The material is indisputable-- even the stuff on Disc 2 I would have to say, half of it are keepers. Run, don't walk to get a copy of "Campfire Songs"...

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 21
I've got to agree with Markl on this one. I've had the 2 disc "Campfire Songs" compilation for some time now, and the remastering is quite good for redbook.

Sep 3, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 21
listening to tigerlily right now. she kicks tori amos and sarah mclaughlin to the curb. no pretension, no fake lushness - just a laid back female groove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back