Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs
Sep 3, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 21
Ah, memories....

I think the first time I ever heard 10,000 Maniacs is when I saw them on (if I remember correctly) Late Night with David Letterman, and I'm guessing that was 1986 or 1987 -- I believe it coincided with the release of In My Tribe (again, if I remember correctly). She captivated this then-teenager from the get-go. The next day, I bought my first Maniacs album (In My Tribe, which was their latest at the time), and I listened to it through my Sony D7 portable CD player and Sony MDR-V6 headphones almost exclusively for weeks.

The recommendations in this thread are solid, and, like markl, I think my favorite is still In My Tribe.

Since its release, I've been enjoying what I believe is still Natalie's latest album, titled The House Carpenter's Daughter: A Collection of Traditional & Contemporary Folk Music.

b.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Ah, memories....

Since its release, I've been enjoying what I believe is still Natalie's latest album, titled The House Carpenter's Daughter: A Collection of Traditional & Contemporary Folk Music.

b.gif

That is indeed a nice cd, Jude. I got it just after its release after hearing it on our only local FM station of worth, WDET where they played most of it. I think its been somewhat overlooked as many stores dont even seem to carry it, per friends I've recommended it to. Perhaps because she released it on a small label to get it out. And, I expect traditional folk song collections dont sell all that well, sadly.
Along with you and markl, I also consider "In My Tribe, to be their best work, though "Blind Man's Zoo" isnt too far behind.
Oddly enough, my first exposure to them, and Natalie, was that same Letterman show.

JC

Sep 5, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
You should hear in in DVD-A...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I did once, but the cable hassle is daunting.
biggrin.gif
I'm still buying the high resolution disc for the titles I know I'll love on a permanent basis...one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back