Napster To-Go
Feb 4, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Slightly OT, but I think Napster should change its name. I was a freshman in college when the real Napster hit. It was a free-for-all and it was awesome. I know that they've moved on and are trying to be a legitimate business and all that, but when I think Napster I think massive copyright and IP violations. Buying music from Napster is like having Pablo Escobar as your pharmacist.

I think they still feel that name recognition is more important then anything else. True Napster wasn't legit, but people are familar with the name and logo. I think if they did change their name and logo then that could have hurt it as well.

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #32 of 45
If you can play the music on your computer, then you can also record it to a non-restricted file.

And if you have a quality sound card, there will be no loss of quality.

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 45
How do you do that? Because right now napster offers a free trail for unlimited downloads, and I have a ton of songs on my computer to play, you just cant burn them or transfer them.

Feb 4, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #35 of 45
Here's my idea for an ideal (legitimate) music download service.

$10-15 month subscription to access the entire library. Every month you get $1 credit towards purchasing tracks. Subscribing for one year doubles the credits for the year. If you buy a one-year subscription up front, you get the credits up front to buy music (that's two albums worth of music). I bet they could get TONS of subscribers with this plan. It'd appeal to both the buying crowd and the renting crowd.

Feb 5, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuropa
ok, sooner or later you gonna be busted on this. this is definely against corporate policy. do you really want to risk your job over this?

really... I hadn't thought about that... are you a Cisco employee? Or legal consultant, familar with their corporate policies?

Just curious really because many of my co workers participate in P2P over the Gnutella network, and no one has gotten in any kind of troubles. Granted were only sharing mp3 files and not corporate documents or anything thats restricted.

????
Garrett

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #37 of 45
i have napster 2 go and if u dont pay your music doesnt stop working it has a fixed expiration date.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #38 of 45
fixed expiration date? Explain?

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
fixed expiration date? Explain?

all my napster to go track expire on the 21 of this month i sgined up for free trial on the 4th

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #40 of 45
Right but if you actually paid for the service, then it is assumed you have those tracks till you cancel service. But if you have those tracks in your player, how will it know that they can't be played anymore?

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #41 of 45
It probably codes the mp3 with a specific expiration date. If you look, not all mp3 players support these files. Only the ones that are made after 2004, which I assume must have some firmware that has some sort of time system on it.

Frankly I don't think this is such a bad idea. Napster doesn't ONLY allow the subscription. Just like Itunes you CAN actually keep the file forever and ever and ever if you pay $0.99 per track. So you can dled whatever you want and keep what you'd like.

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #42 of 45
Ah ha...that is true. Well I have noticed some users on specificly Micro only forums happy about the Napster-2-go thing.

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
really... I hadn't thought about that... are you a Cisco employee? Or legal consultant, familar with their corporate policies?

Just curious really because many of my co workers participate in P2P over the Gnutella network, and no one has gotten in any kind of troubles. Granted were only sharing mp3 files and not corporate documents or anything thats restricted.

????
Garrett

I seriously doubt it's within corporate policy to infringe on copyright laws. They probably know about it and won't do anything unless you get caught by someone else. Universities nowadays do nothing unless the MPAA or RIAA contact them, but once they do, you can lose your internet or your housing depending on severity, how many times you've been caught, etc. At a job, even though they don't stop you, it's probably not in your contract that you're allowed to, so if they want to/need to, they will punish you.

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman
If you can play the music on your computer, then you can also record it to a non-restricted file.

And if you have a quality sound card, there will be no loss of quality.

You can record them, but the results are huge .wav files.
Reencoding them with lame means a loss in sound quality.

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
I seriously doubt it's within corporate policy to infringe on copyright laws. They probably know about it and won't do anything unless you get caught by someone else. Universities nowadays do nothing unless the MPAA or RIAA contact them, but once they do, you can lose your internet or your housing depending on severity, how many times you've been caught, etc. At a job, even though they don't stop you, it's probably not in your contract that you're allowed to, so if they want to/need to, they will punish you.

I know at work I do not do the p2p thing at all. Way to risky since I have gotten a virus from using one before with my home computer. However, I did do the free napster trail and have been downloading from them like mad! Too bad once the trail is over its bye bye music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back