Napster To-Go
Feb 3, 2005 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Underdog311

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone tried it? Like it?

Feb 3, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 45
No doubt, I would much rather pay a set monthly fee and download all the songs I want instead of paying per song.

Feb 3, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 45
The problem with Napster's music rental model is that it's just not psychologically appealing to people. People want to own, and own "forever" or they simply want to rent for one-time use. Witness the utter failure of DIVX. It sure seemed like an economical compromise between renting and owning DVDs, but no one bought into it. The subscription model seems to be the "in" topic in the software and media industries nowadays, but no one has really found a good way to make it appealing to customers for those things that have traditionally been for-purchase commodities. Maybe Napster can change that. Maybe it can't. We'll have to wait and see.

By the way, what happens if Napster goes out of business? Suddenly a library of 10,000 songs is reduced to 0.

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 45
So are you saying that the songs you DL from Napster arent yours to keep? Heck, if they are on my mp3 player I dont think they are going anywhere. You can always back them up to your HD anyways.

Also, ANY company can go out of business anytime so I dont think that is a factor to even consider, unless I was thinking of signing up with K-Mart tunes...

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
So are you saying that the songs you DL from Napster arent yours to keep? Heck, if they are on my mp3 player I dont think they are going anywhere. You can always back them up to your HD anyways.

Also, ANY company can go out of business anytime so I dont think that is a factor to even consider, unless I was thinking of signing up with K-Mart tunes...

As I understand it your Napster tunes won't play unless the subscription is renewed each month. So you might have those files forever, but they'll be unplayable and merely be occupying space.

As for companies not being guaranteed to be around, I suspect both Apple and Microsoft are a lot more stable than Napster. I wouldn't want to put all or most of my eggs into Napster's basket.

By the way, this kind of hits close to home. I have a lifetime TiVo subscription but in light of their recent corporate woes I'm wondering if that'll mean anything a year or two from now.

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 45
As soon as you stop paying for the music it won't work on your computer or player. The player has to be synced at least once a month or else the license expires and poof no more music unless you pony up the cash again. Will you be able to burn CD's of those songs that you rent? What is the quality of those files?

Feb 4, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
As soon as you stop paying for the music it won't work on your computer or player. The player has to be synced at least once a month or else the license expires and poof no more music unless you pony up the cash again. Will you be able to burn CD's of those songs that you rent? What is the quality of those files?

ah ha....so thats the catch. Well heck, that is not such a great deal after all.

And no, if you want to burn the music to a CD you have to purchase it. The 14.95 is for unlimited downloading to you computer and to you player. Burning means you gotta purchase the album or song.

allofmp3 is sounding better and better...

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

CD = $15/ea

ITMS = 99 cents/track

Napster to go = $15/month

AllofMP3.com = .05/meg

Free P2P over your neighbors unsecured wireless network = Priceless

Yeah I use P2P also (but from my own cable, not stolen), winmx which I love, but it can be frustrating at times. Download times will never reach what I can with allofmp3.com. And I hate when I get partial DL's cuz of the guy closing his connection down.

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
As I understand it your Napster tunes won't play unless the subscription is renewed each month. So you might have those files forever, but they'll be unplayable and merely be occupying space.

With technology today I'm sure someone will find a way to hack this.
wink.gif

But in general I think this is a bad idea to have people subscript every month even if they have songs from a year ago that they have probably already paid for through their monthly fees. Especially with so many bittorrent and P2P programs going around (and not to mention allofmp3.com) I see no point for this.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Am I the only one find this disturbing? You want him to take the rap of what you're doing. ****, if that happens to me, I might as well shoot you, that way at least I'll be going to trial for something that I did.

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

there are hackers that setup open wireless access points for people looking for free Internet, in order to get your info or hack into your computer. go ahead, take the chance. and you are also at risk of viruses, trojans etc since people who don't know how to lock down probably don't know how to protect their own system.

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
Yeah I use P2P also (but from my own cable, not stolen), winmx which I love, but it can be frustrating at times. Download times will never reach what I can with allofmp3.com. And I hate when I get partial DL's cuz of the guy closing his connection down.

give limewire a try. its getting really popular over at www.download.com and its got no spy/adware, has very consistant d/l speeds with lots of users. and best of all is that your can do a software search in limewire for limewire pro and get pro for free. HAHAHAHA i love it.
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
Am I the only one find this disturbing? You want him to take the rap of what you're doing. ****, if that happens to me, I might as well shoot you, that way at least I'll be going to trial for something that I did.

Easy killer. Please note the sarcasm. But maybe at least you'll secure your network now.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back