Napster To-Go
Feb 4, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
With technology today I'm sure someone will find a way to hack this.
wink.gif

If someone hacks this, that may simply end this little experiment in musical marketing. Music companies wouldn't stand for it.

What I'd like to see is some sort of rent-to-own service; i.e., if you rent a song long enough, it's yours.

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuropa
and you are also at risk of viruses, trojans etc since people who don't know how to lock down probably don't know how to protect their own system.

Risk using OSX = minimal

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
CD = $15/ea

ITMS = 99 cents/track

Napster to go = $15/month

AllofMP3.com = .05/meg

Free P2P over your neighbors unsecured wireless network = Priceless

I use morpheus P2P and its pretty good... best of all its free. As a cisco employee I operate through a Cisco corporate LAN firewall and I run zone alarm on top of that... no problems as of yet. Most files are >128 .

Garrett

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
give limewire a try. its getting really popular over at www.download.com and its got no spy/adware, has very consistant d/l speeds with lots of users. and best of all is that your can do a software search in limewire for limewire pro and get pro for free. HAHAHAHA i love it.
tongue.gif

Hey I wonder if I can DL Morpheus-Pro P2P through Morpheus basic ????

LOL I gotta try it!!

Garrett

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 45
While there are hacks for DRM protected music (just try google) I prefer to get mine from allofmp3.com, heaps of codecs available, choice of bitrates, low price, and they are mine.

I did the 2p2 thing for a while but most people there dont rip very well and the quality was bad.

Just my 0.02/mb

z

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I use morpheus P2P and its pretty good... best of all its free. As a cisco employee I operate through a Cisco corporate LAN firewall and I run zone alarm on top of that... no problems as of yet. Most files are >128 .

Garrett

ok, sooner or later you gonna be busted on this. this is definely against corporate policy. do you really want to risk your job over this?

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #24 of 45
I used to use morpheus and actually forgot about it. Thing with p2p is I used to use Kazaa, and nothing made me more angry then when I would DL a song and it would be corrupt. I would have to try several before I got a good one. I guess either I am losing my youth edge or I am feeling guilty, but I sorta feel like I need to pay for something!

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #25 of 45
I'm probably nuts, but the Napster to Go idea really appeals to me. I like the idea of renting music. If I stop paying, sure, the music goes away, but I can always buy CD versions of music I really want to keep, or subscribe again down the road.

For me, at least, this service sounds close to ideal. The devil is in the details though, including ease of use, how many concurrent song downloads allowed, and sound quality. But I really like the idea.

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #26 of 45
Oh and there is one more catch-it only works with certain players. Fortunatly for me (if I had decided on it), it supports the Zen Micro. However, the list is short on how many players it allows. Here is the short list:
Zen Micro
Zen Portable Media Center
iriver H10
Gateway Photo Jukebox
iriver H320
iriver PMC-120
Samsung YH-999

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 45
for some reason, napster priced it at 14.95 across all three countries, but that's 14.95US$, 14.95CDN$, and 14.95pound. so canada is getting the best deal out of this at the current exchange rate. go canada!

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 45
Slightly OT, but I think Napster should change its name. I was a freshman in college when the real Napster hit. It was a free-for-all and it was awesome. I know that they've moved on and are trying to be a legitimate business and all that, but when I think Napster I think massive copyright and IP violations. Buying music from Napster is like having Pablo Escobar as your pharmacist.

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 45
Um, are you all aware that Morpheus, Limewire, and KaZaA are all the same service? They all run off the Gnutella 2 network, and whenever I've done side-by-side comparisons of the clients (run the same search on each client, one after the other), I get the exact same results.

Solution: use Shareaza. It's free, it's Free Open Source Software, and it's one of the most flexible P2P clients out there (supports Gnutella 1/2, ed2k, and magnet networks, and manages BitTorrent downloads, if you wish
biggrin.gif
).

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #30 of 45
Halbyrd, I was not aware of that. Like I said before, I use WinMX for my illegal needs but I cant get the transfer rates I wish I could get with a legit service. So I am slowly turning to the good side
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back