Nan-6 planar headphone ?
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #181 of 204
Any chance you or anyone who has a nan-7 can try to explain how they sound? Do you feel they are good enough to compete with other headphones like LCDX/Arya/focal clear? Or are they really good enough to compete with something even better like Susvara or LCD4?

I’m considering ordering a pair on aliexpress but it’s so hard to get an understanding of how good they actually sound in relation to other products on the market. If anyone can share a few words describing the sound and maybe compare vs another headphone you’ve heard or even just mention what you like or if you feel they lack anything, I’d really appreciate it!

I realize this is a nan-6 thread but it’s the only place I can find anyone actually talking about the 7..
I would not use AliExpress to order the Nan 7. Price mark up is kinda crazy imo. Just use reputable Chinese agents like Superbuy or Pandabuy and pay through bank transfer via wise. This way, you are not being charged for service/PayPal fee, which stacks up quite a bit since the item is expensive. I paid around $760 at the end (3.5mm cable version), which is pretty close to what the Chinese people would pay locally.

I have the Nan 7 with me and I think it's a good contender to many totl headphones. I've only tried the Arya from your list and I think they are too different for direct comparisons. Arya sounds diffused with larger soundstage and it has slightly better imaging (pinpointing instrument location) probably due to that wide/tall stage to project instruments further in the space. The Arya is also brightly tuned, which can also contribute to imaging since instrument perception is clearer.

The Nan 7 has better dynamics (punch & slam) and extends lower in the subbass region. Tuning wise, it sounds more neutral with a slight peak around 13k to 14k region, which could emphasize metallic shrill sounds for some people. This phenomenon is worse in the Arya, so if you can handle Arya's stock frequency response, then it shouldn't be a problem for the Nan 7. Lastly, center stage definition is more pronounced in the Nan 7 with better sense of depth.

I think comparing Nan 7 to other Hifiman headphones like the susvara, og he6 and he6sev2 would make better comparisons. I've never tried the susvara and og he6, so I cannot say much about those two. However, I do own the he6sev2 and I think the Nan 7 sounds more refined and detailed when running off of my schiit Jotunheim 2 and ifi zen dac signature v1. Hope this helps.

P.S. if you are curious about how the Nan 7 competes with the OG He6, there is someone in this thread that owns both. I would read his review. Good luck!

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #182 of 204
I would not use AliExpress to order the Nan 7. Price mark up is kinda crazy imo. Just use reputable Chinese agents like Superbuy or Pandabuy and pay through bank transfer via wise. This way, you are not being charged for service/PayPal fee, which stacks up quite a bit since the item is expensive. I paid around $760 at the end (3.5mm cable version), which is pretty close to what the Chinese people would pay locally.

I have the Nan 7 with me and I think it's a good contender to many totl headphones. I've only tried the Arya from your list and I think they are too different for direct comparisons. Arya sounds diffused with larger soundstage and it has slightly better imaging (pinpointing instrument location) probably due to that wide/tall stage to project instruments further in the space. The Arya is also brightly tuned, which can also contribute to imaging since instrument perception is clearer.

The Nan 7 has better dynamics (punch & slam) and extends lower in the subbass region. Tuning wise, it sounds more neutral with a slight peak around 13k to 14k region, which could emphasize metallic shrill sounds for some people. This phenomenon is worse in the Arya, so if you can handle Arya's stock frequency response, then it shouldn't be a problem for the Nan 7. Lastly, center stage definition is more pronounced in the Nan 7 with better sense of depth.

I think comparing Nan 7 to other Hifiman headphones like the susvara, og he6 and he6sev2 would make better comparisons. I've never tried the susvara and og he6, so I cannot say much about those two. However, I do own the he6sev2 and I think the Nan 7 sounds more refined and detailed when running off of my schiit Jotunheim 2 and ifi zen dac signature v1. Hope this helps.

P.S. if you are curious about how the Nan 7 competes with the OG He6, there is someone in this thread that owns both. I would read his review. Good luck!
Thanks for that. Is it easier to drive than HE6se v2?

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #184 of 204
Any chance you or anyone who has a nan-7 can try to explain how they sound? Do you feel they are good enough to compete with other headphones like LCDX/Arya/focal clear? Or are they really good enough to compete with something even better like Susvara or LCD4?

I’m considering ordering a pair on aliexpress but it’s so hard to get an understanding of how good they actually sound in relation to other products on the market. If anyone can share a few words describing the sound and maybe compare vs another headphone you’ve heard or even just mention what you like or if you feel they lack anything, I’d really appreciate it!

I realize this is a nan-6 thread but it’s the only place I can find anyone actually talking about the 7..

Nan-7 is more diffused sounding. Like listening to speaker monitors.

While HE6 6screw is more engaging & has more midbass slam. And the Treble and details pop out with more edge and imaging.

Nan7 will be more natural and chill. Compared to the exciting engagement of the HE6.

I like both. Nan7 needs sources that make it more etched and engaging in the Treble. HE6 needs source chains that reduce the etch to the presentation.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #185 of 204
Nan-7 is more diffused sounding. Like listening to speaker monitors.

While HE6 6screw is more engaging & has more midbass slam. And the Treble and details pop out with more edge and imaging.

Nan7 will be more natural and chill. Compared to the exciting engagement of the HE6.

I like both. Nan7 needs sources that make it more etched and engaging in the Treble. HE6 needs source chains that reduce the etch to the presentation.
So generally you’d put it on even ground as far as sound quality with the he6 / he6se?

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #187 of 204
At the price $399 for he6se v2 on adorama, its value is hard to be beaten by any headphone.
I agree except they're back to $799 now (if you can somehow provide a $399 link, please do!).

My understanding was that the NAN-7 was supposed to have more of a "Susvara" tuned sound where the NAN-6 was tuned more like a HE6. Or maybe it's a blend of both? Hard to say since I've heard many refer to the HE6 as a "Baby Susvara".

Something to add - The HE6SE has it's flaws. It's difficult to drive. The headband on it is HORRIBLE and requires modding (in general the headphone should at least have the headband and grills modded). Additionally the HE6SE is a heavier headphone. The Nan-7 actually addresses all of these problems right off the bat. It's 410g so comfort is way better, floating headstrap, premium materials (carbon fiber body) and it's easy to drive while having a similar or better quality of sound. I don't think the value proposition of the NAN-7 is that bad from the sounds of it / reading what owners have had to say about it.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #190 of 204
I agree except they're back to $799 now (if you can somehow provide a $399 link, please do!).
This seems to have run through for now, and is resting back at the usual 'sale' price. Suspect as stock builds up again, you'll see deals once more.
My understanding was that the NAN-7 was supposed to have more of a "Susvara" tuned sound where the NAN-6 was tuned more like a HE6. Or maybe it's a blend of both? Hard to say since I've heard many refer to the HE6 as a "Baby Susvara".

Something to add - The HE6SE has it's flaws. It's difficult to drive. The headband on it is HORRIBLE and requires modding (in general the headphone should at least have the headband and grills modded). Additionally the HE6SE is a heavier headphone. The Nan-7 actually addresses all of these problems right off the bat. It's 410g so comfort is way better, floating headstrap, premium materials (carbon fiber body) and it's easy to drive while having a similar or better quality of sound. I don't think the value proposition of the NAN-7 is that bad from the sounds of it / reading what owners have had to say about it.
Both the Nan-6 and Nan-7 are tuned to have roughly the same FR measurements as the Susvara, though neither apparently get close to sounding like it, and have their roots in the same kind of performance as the HE-6 series. In that sense, the Nan-6 is a sidegrade built off its tonal tweaks and comfort additions, while the Nan-7 iterates on top of the work done there, while also removing the huge current draw requirements.

Regardless, the Nan-6 seems to have discontinued, and with the HE6SE v2 back up at $799, the only headphone in the conversation now is the Nan-7.

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #192 of 204
I believe they have the 1266 driver
The guy who produces Nan 6/7 on taobao is researching 1266 drivers as he plans on creating Abyss clones in the future. But he hasn't made any updates on that one for a while. The Nan 7's driver is modeled off of Hifiman Susvara, but he made it easier to drive. Considering that Nan 6's driver was basically what hifiman used on their he6se series, maybe the guy has access to hifiman drivers and he is reverse engineering them (just my prediction, I could be wrong).

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #193 of 204
The guy who produces Nan 6/7 on taobao is researching 1266 drivers as he plans on creating Abyss clones in the future. But he hasn't made any updates on that one for a while. The Nan 7's driver is modeled off of Hifiman Susvara, but he made it easier to drive. Considering that Nan 6's driver was basically what hifiman used on their he6se series, maybe the guy has access to hifiman drivers and he is reverse engineering them (just my prediction, I could be wrong).
Kinda wanna send him my broken OG HE6 and see if he can clone its mystical diaphragm LOL

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #194 of 204
Kinda wanna send him my broken OG HE6 and see if he can clone its mystical diaphragm LOL
It's probably possible but since he already created a clone of the susvara's driver, not sure if it's worth the research for him. Also, he used to make the Nan 6, which looked similar to the og he6 and he6sev2, so he might just replace the driver instead. But then Nan 6 is no longer being produced, so he may not have any replacement parts.

May 22, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #195 of 204
surprised by how light they are but the thick leather strap gave me a bit of pain so I change to audeze headband , work well

this guy is greatly resolving but a bit boring tbh

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_051200.jpg
    IMG_20230522_051200.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back