Name your worst impulse buy! (Headphone wise)
Jan 1, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #122 of 144
The ex-71s. exactly the same reasons as everybody else. Muffled, bloated overpowered bass with non-existent highs. Worst impulse being the amazon reviews that made me think it was so amazing to get it, thank god we have head-fi
icon10.gif

Best impulse buy would be my HD600s, i just saw them one day on amazon, saw a few reviews on audioreview and thought, 'hey i have the money for this'.

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #125 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
Oh yea, I forgot about the Aiwa HP-CN6. Those things are AWFULL!!!!
They make this awfull hiss and sound very bad.

Ixeo why do you hate the 280s?

bright/shrill to my ears, too detailed/analytical. they were designed as DJ/Studio/Professional headphones..and i guess for that purpose they are great.. but for listening to music i simply prefer the HD580 or Philips HP890 i have over them. simply put, the sound from it hurts my ears.

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #126 of 144
Worst: Sony MDR-EX71SL
Right after my worst DAP impulse buy (MZ-N10 md recorder) I made my worst impulse buy headphone purchase. Unfortunately I could return neither, so I just sold the MD to someone on another forum and gave the EX71s to a friend of mine who doesn't care much about SQ more than comfort.

Best: Beyerdynamic DT440
I just stumbled upon them in the FS forum. Didn't really have the money but the price was good so I snatched them up!

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #128 of 144
Worst = EX51. Not exactly an impulse buy. I already knew their shortcomings but my best buy gift card was going to expire so I had to use it.

Best = Audio Technica HA2 amp. Used on ebay. Knew nothing about it, just thought it looked cool. pleasantly surprised, powers my DT770 wonderfully.

Garrett

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #129 of 144
e5c
it was a choice btwn that and the etymotics...just had to decide
sounds like the etys might have been a safer choice
no harm done, they can be returned
thnx Todd!

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #130 of 144
HD570s. Saw them for $60 so i jumped becuase i didnt know much about headphoens.

Got them and they had a short so the sound would jump in and out, the guy goes "oh yeah i forgot to tell you that, usually i just jam something to keep the cable still"

that made me so mad, man alive. i eventually told him "im not paying $60 for somethign broken" so i payed $35 used the warrenty and got a brand new pair back.

not bad for $35 but not worth the hassle.

Jan 2, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #131 of 144
Worst:
Some random Panasonic Dual Style Street/DJ Phones. Paid $50 and said, it was good (at the time with IMP-250). Panasonic has since sold them at cut-rate price of $20...

Best:
Technics RP-DJ1200. Best $40 I've ever spent on a set of cans. Even if it is a set of DJ cans, nothing to complain about SQ overall and fun but very flat in terms of soundstage (yea right). Win some, lose some.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #132 of 144
Well a bunch of gamers recommended plantronics audio 90. Well I got them and they didn't sound too great. Not to mention they started falling apart after a couple weeks! I just trashed them.
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #133 of 144
Sony D-66 Eggo's and Audio TEchnica ATH-A500

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #135 of 144
Worst: AKG K501 - Not my cup of tea, I can see why some poeple would like them.. But I don't.

Best: Sony MDR-CD3000 - I got so worried after reading up on some of the bad comments posted on this forum about them while I was waiting for them to arrive. I now see it was much worrying over nothing and not to build an opinion on what others think, make your own.. Lesson learned. My favorite headphone atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back