Naim headline 2 impression
Apr 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leicachamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The seller stated that he hated it with his GS1000, which worried me for I have a pair of GS100i. When i questioned him why he didnt like the combo, his explanation was that he was using a harsh sounding Teac DAC and that could be the reason.

This sort of thing is particularly something for me to watch out for. I love the Sennheiser PXC300 and literally could never use any other headphone for serious listening (superb detail, clarity, PRaT, transparency, ability to function well at extremely low volumes, extreme comfort levels, etc), but it is very easy for the presentation to become too bright with ill-matched amplification. It's a bit like the headphone world equivalent of a very high quality but small standmount speaker.

It sounds wonderful out of my Xonar Essence and even quite well balanced out of my CMoy (for all the obvious sonic shortcomings of a CMoy though), but there are some amps it just does not work with at all.

This is why for me I would not be able to buy without audition, even at a great secondhand price (because second hand Naim gear is still expensive).

I would have thought the seller could simply remove the DAC out of the loop to see what happens to the sound, rather than speculating whether it was the culprit or not. On the other hand, I really admire their honesty
L3000.gif

Anyway, I will be interested to hear what you have to say about it. It's still a pretty pricey amp retail whatever way you cut it
frown.gif
$300 more than an XCan V8, around $600 more than the new Rhinelander and just a bit cheaper than the Lehmann top end stuff.

I was thinking of trying to hear one today, but as the dealer has not responded to my latest email, I am guessing they don't actually have one to demo anyway.

May 1, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 76
i'm curious as to why you chose gs1k over rs1? anyways, be prepared to be blown away. i suspect with a hicap upgrade it will even out perform ear hp4 which i consider the best headphone amp ever. however, i prefer the sound signature of the headline more so than anything else...

May 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #37 of 76
Someone just sold the headline with the NAPSC on audiogon and claims poor synergy with the GS1000's but also comments it worked well with AT's and AKG's...FWIW.

May 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm curious as to why you chose gs1k over rs1? anyways, be prepared to be blown away. i suspect with a hicap upgrade it will even out perform ear hp4 which i consider the best headphone amp ever. however, i prefer the sound signature of the headline more so than anything else...

I use to have a pair of RS1's but could always found that i wanted something in between the flat and bowls sounds. I tried the old version of the GS1000 and found that they sounded too distant without the intiatcy that i had with the RS1. I then ventured off to sennhiser land with a HD650 zzzzzzzzzzzzz snore!!!!!!! Then a pair of DENON 2000 mark l mods. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Maybe my amp was not suited. Darkvoice 336)

Then last month my favorite hifi dealer in Melb told me that the new GS1000i was heaps better( they all say that dont they!) But I trust his ears and bought a pair off him. Straight out of the box I could tell the the i version was very different from its predecessor. It did not sound distant and had a lot more boogie factor. The bass was slow though, but has improved heaps since then. In fact it now rocks with the Darkvoice.

I be keeping the Darkvoice until I have made up my mind on the Naims.

May 1, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone just sold the headline with the NAPSC on audiogon and claims poor synergy with the GS1000's but also comments it worked well with AT's and AKG's...FWIW.

I was the guy whom purchased it. This was the sellers reply to my question on why he didnt like the Grado Naim Combo

"Regarding the naim and my grado's.
I didn't like the combination with my gs 1000. My DAC is a rather harsh transistor Teac unit which, combined with the Naim, creates a very rythmic but too-thin sound on the transparent Grados. I simply want a different approach to change by replacing both amplifer and DAC.

From what I've heard, btw, the newer PS-1000 is a different design and approach altogether. If you see recommendations to use them with the Naim, then by all means - I would definitely look into it. However, it's very difficult to see recommedations for the GS1000's and the Headline. Probably because it's simply a different headphone."

May 1, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

How do they compare with the other British favorite, Slee Solo SRG? I presume the Naim will have more Prat!

I have narrowed down to the Rudistor NX-03, Slee solo SRG or The Naim Headline for my GS1000. Unfortunately, I cant audition any of them in Australia
confused_face_2.gif

I have tried headline2, NX-03, Solo but with D5000 mod

Solo - Very detail, decend bass.
NX-03 - Smooth, detail but light in bass.
headline2 - Warm, fast, Good bass.

May 1, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #42 of 76
Given so many choices of power supply from Naim, can someone tell me what will be the ultimate paring of power supply to the Headline2 ? I am told the power supplies from Naim are really magical boxes that can make a huge difference to the sound. Will this also apply to the Headline2, given its very low power consumption ?

And where is a good place to shop for a Headline2 online (220-240V) ?

Thanks in advance to all.
F. Lo

May 1, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #43 of 76
The best PSU you can use with a NAHA is a SuperCap2.

A better supply certainly gives a good performance boost but maybe depends on the 'fones you use. Whilst I heard a goodness of a SC2 with a RS1, I would have had a hard time justifying 6k on it.

Switching 'fones to AT W5k, I still miss the SuperCap. ( currently using a CB HC ).

A NAHA PSU choises are:
iSupply<NAPSC<FlatCap2<HiCap2<SuperCap2

Tom Tom Audio has an online store.
http://www.tomtomaudio.com/

May 1, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best PSU you can use with a NAHA is a SuperCap2.

A better supply certainly gives a good performance boost but maybe depends on the 'fones you use. Whilst I heard a goodness of a SC2 with a RS1, I would have had a hard time justifying 6k on it.

Switching 'fones to AT W5k, I still miss the SuperCap. ( currently using a CB HC ).

A NAHA PSU choises are:
iSupply<NAPSC<FlatCap2<HiCap2<SuperCap2

Tom Tom Audio has an online store.
http://www.tomtomaudio.com/

Thanks Kuma.

Can't imagine spending $6k on the power supply to feed a headphone amp that is less than 20% of its price
confused_face_2.gif
Probably the Flatcap2 should be more than doing justise to the Headline2 ?

F. Lo

May 1, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

How do they compare with the other British favorite, Slee Solo SRG? I presume the Naim will have more Prat!

I have narrowed down to the Rudistor NX-03, Slee solo SRG or The Naim Headline for my GS1000. Unfortunately, I cant audition any of them in Australia
confused_face_2.gif

Don`t assume the Naim will have more prat than the Solo. The Solo has a fast well controlled bass and gives a fast punchy sound. I can`t stop tapping along to mine. I briefly heard the Naim headline v1 when I auditioned CD Players and was not particularly impressed. I have also owned expensive Naim kit in the past ( > £10000) and I don`t recall it being as rythmic or involving as my current much cheaper system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back