Naim DAC-V1 vs...
Dec 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 100
Auditioned the Naim DAC-V1 for the second time today.  It's the best I've ever heard from the HD800. Came from Bifrost Uber/Lyr, now using the Woo WA7.. this may be my personal end game. It will arrive in a few days so more impressions to come. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 100
The giant killer i can see even beating out the PWD would be the lightharmonic geek pulse with the LPS and femto clock.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 100
I've been living with the Naim DAC-V1 for just over a week and probably have about 100 hours on it. I am absolutely thrilled with it and the synergy with the HD800.  After owning the Woo WA7 and Schiit Bifrost Uber/Lyr (Amperex Orange Globes), this is the best that I've heard the HD800's at home. Quoting 'punchy, precise and engaging' and 'I never thought of Naim as a serious headphone brand', I have to say that this is a very nice combo with the HD800. I'm sure that there will come a day when I want to add a Woo WA2 to the mix but in the mean time, I'm really enjoying the music.  The music really does transcend the setup for me. 

Although revealing, it does not make poor recording sound like cr@p and does bring some life to them. I listen to a lot of 80's stuff plus everything from Sinatra to Deadmou5 (listening to Enigma and Morgan Page as I compose this). Now, throw a good recording at the setup, it is simply stunning. It may not be a HeadFi favourite but as you can tell, I'm pretty pleased.  I just wish I could afford another one to add to my main Martin Logan system.
I've post this pic on some other threads and it should be here also..

Quote:
  I heard the Naim DAC-V1 demoed today. First impressions were: Punchy, precise, engaging. Typical Naim sound came through -- dramatic presentation without sacrificing finesse. 

I was about to give up when I walked in Niam. I never thought of them as a serious headphone

brand. But wow. 

Musical. Solid Bass. Precise. 

This could be the most underrated headfi amp out there. Bought it on the spot. Would totally
love to see you review it. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 100
+1. I have ordered one.

Likewise. The pwd might need to go. Would love to try the flagship Da Vinci if i had 30 grand to splash around

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 100
So are you guys saying that the naim may be a better DAC than the PWD? Just curious.

Quote:
Likewise. The pwd might need to go. Would love to try the flagship Da Vinci if i had 30 grand to splash around

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #22 of 100

Had the naim in for a week long audition the same time as I was auditioning the PWD. The Naim doesnt hold a candle to the PWD with 2.4.1 beta firmware- even via usb where naim is using audiophileo usb spdif tech.

To compare the two, the Naim might sound impressive at first with its Pace and impact as I know I was. It was fairly neutral in my setup and gave an exciting listen.

However when the PWD came in the next day; oh boy. Soundstaging, imaging and instrument positioning went up at least 3 notches, and improved further when I switched to the network bridge option. Couldn't tear myself away from the seat. The frequency response was more even handed and sounded more natural and resolved as opposed to Naim's hyped up; pacey sound. On top notch recordings from 2L (the nordic sound sampler), all the nuance and inflexions that arent conveyed by the naim were noticed in the PWD. The only thing I can give to the naim is the crashing crescendos which sound impressive- but not necessarily accurate. For full disclosure this was performed on a speaker rig. By this time I had already moved on from my LCD2.

I ended up picking the PWD as a Bstock item (dealer repaired the LCD screen on a faulty unit) for only 500 dollars more than the Naim. And this included the bridge upgrade.

What i was saying is I could forsee the lightharmonic pulse X possibly besting even this

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 100
Thanks for the comprehensive comparison! My inquiry was just out of interest and I'm not surprised by your comments. The Naim suites me perfectly for a desktop rig (for now...)

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #25 of 100
Not at all.. I found it the smoothest, non-fatiguing and most engaging setup I've had so far and that includes the WA7 (stock & EH tubes) and the Bifrost Uber / Lyr (Amperex OG tubes)

Quote:
  Isn't "Naim DAC-V1" too bright for the HD800?

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #26 of 100
i found it a bit too smoothing and sacrificed microdetails a bit, causing a loss in nuance

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #27 of 100
Damn, sorry for my wallet. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #28 of 100
After going in and out of the shop a few times, I've finally decided to jump on the DAC-V1. I've tested a few setups with my LCD-X and this one sounded the best to me. The treble finally won out, and it revealed subtle nuances in the music.

I also compared it to the Sennheiser HDVD800 at the shop. It had the same synergy problem with the LCD-X that all the other rigs I've been trying. The treble never sparkled. I think the rigs I've been trying are a bit warm. They all worked a lot better with the HE-500 than with the LCD-X. I think the LCD-X needed something that would make the treble sparkle, and the Naim seems to fit the bill.

Time will tell if I've made the right choice, but they definitely won me over during my auditions. I wish I could have heard the McIntosh D100, but there's no where to audition around here. There's a McIntosh shop here, but they don't plan on carrying it.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #29 of 100
After going in and out of the shop a few times, I've finally decided to jump on the DAC-V1. I've tested a few setups with my LCD-X and this one sounded the best to me. The treble finally won out, and it revealed subtle nuances in the music.

I also compared it to the Sennheiser HDVD800 at the shop. It had the same synergy problem with the LCD-X that all the other rigs I've been trying. The treble never sparkled. I think the rigs I've been trying are a bit warm. They all worked a lot better with the HE-500 than with the LCD-X. I think the LCD-X needed something that would make the treble sparkle, and the Naim seems to fit the bill.

Time will tell if I've made the right choice, but they definitely won me over during my auditions. I wish I could have heard the McIntosh D100, but there's no where to audition around here. There's a McIntosh shop here, but they don't plan on carrying it.
Interesting that it's a good fit with the LCD x! It's definitely a pair I'm interested in.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #30 of 100
Had the naim in for a week long audition the same time as I was auditioning the PWD. The Naim doesnt hold a candle to the PWD with 2.4.1 beta firmware- even via usb where naim is using audiophileo usb spdif tech.

To compare the two, the Naim might sound impressive at first with its Pace and impact as I know I was. It was fairly neutral in my setup and gave an exciting listen.

However when the PWD came in the next day; oh boy. Soundstaging, imaging and instrument positioning went up at least 3 notches, and improved further when I switched to the network bridge option. Couldn't tear myself away from the seat. The frequency response was more even handed and sounded more natural and resolved as opposed to Naim's hyped up; pacey sound. On top notch recordings from 2L (the nordic sound sampler), all the nuance and inflexions that arent conveyed by the naim were noticed in the PWD. The only thing I can give to the naim is the crashing crescendos which sound impressive- but not necessarily accurate. For full disclosure this was performed on a speaker rig. By this time I had already moved on from my LCD2.

I ended up picking the PWD as a Bstock item (dealer repaired the LCD screen on a faulty unit) for only 500 dollars more than the Naim. And this included the bridge upgrade.

What i was saying is I could forsee the lightharmonic pulse X possibly besting even this

+1

The problem with the Naim, as traditionally with a lot of British Hi-Fi, is that it doesn't really truly understand music.  From my perspective (as a Brit BTW), music is something you feel rather than hear, but a lot of British manufactures go for detail for detail's sake.  Very annoyingly British manufacturers are also very snobbish; I've been into Hi-Fi since the mid-70's and overseas Hi-Fi, particularly American, was then viewed (by the British Hi-Fi press and manufacturers) as being overly coloured and just not accurate (I believe that view still exists, although now it is not expressed).  My own experience is just the opposite: I think British Hi-Fi  sound's overly analytical and just doesn't seem to capture the essence of the music.  I Have a Dac V1 and whilst seemingly it conveys the detail of the music and superficially the emotion, in reality it doesn't convey the performance at all.  I much prefer the CI Audio kit I have which, in my opinion, genuinely conveys the musical performance.   Just my 2 cents worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back