Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #661 of 695
I’m currently using it with the ZMF Caldera and sounds wonderful. I also had great success with the DCA Expanse, which is harder to drive. And of course the original Utopia sounds amazing with it.

So my only current issue with it is, it hasn’t been updated for Tidal Max, either thru their app or Tidal Connect. But I can access hires albums thru roon. So it’s not urgent but does show how slow they are to make software updates.

I forgot to add, if it’s a new unit, let it play continuously for about 50 hours. I didn’t like the sound too much when I first got it. It sound congested but really opens up after continued use and then stays that way. However, I just looked up the BHA-1 amp, it seems like a beast. So might not expect an all in one to be on the same level. The Naim HE also does well with power cord upgrade, if you believed in cable improvements.
I have a DCA stealth in coming next week. I'm very looking forward to the pairing.

I guess Utopia is the next on my radar. I love Clear and Naim pairing.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #662 of 695
I have a DCA stealth in coming next week. I'm very looking forward to the pairing.

I haven’t heard the Stealth on the Naim HE but I personally didn’t like the Stealth on other setups. It’s technically amazing but lacked some warmth and was too analytical for my tastes. It wasn’t dynamic sounding like the Utopia or Caldera. The Utopia is the most exciting headphone I’ve heard but it’s always intense. The Caldera is also exciting but a touch more relaxing with a little more warmth. Everyone has different tastes and the Stealth has a huge fan base. If you’re into details, the Stealth is a winner. I lean toward the overall experience and do like a little warmth over absolute details.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #664 of 695

The Stealth/Naim combo is sublime. It's the combo I use 90% of the time.

It's a perfect combination of detail, tonality, and timbre. Instruments sound the most accurate with the stealth/naim. It's an addictive combo.

If I want more dynamic sound, the Utopia wins.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #665 of 695
I picked up a brand new Naim Atom HE at a good price today. I was looking for a simple all in one solution. I love Naim look and features that make this unit so convenient to use.

I tried focal clear og. This was probably the best I have heard on Clear og. I was very impressed!

I then tried LCD-5. They sounded okay, but I felt this pairing was way inferior to BHA-1 (source was BR-20).

Does Naim work the best with focal headphones than other brands?
Interesting question. I listened to HE at CanJam London last year. Being blunt, it sounded crap with my ZMF Atrium. Super unimpressed.

I didn't listen to any Focal cans with it, as I don't own any. That said, I have heard and read so many positive comments about synergy with Focal headphones that I am wondering if it was voiced with them?

HE otherwise is a beautiful bit of kit. I do love the looks and functionality, but it is 100% headphone fussy.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #666 of 695
Interesting question. I listened to HE at CanJam London last year. Being blunt, it sounded crap with my ZMF Atrium. Super unimpressed.

I didn't listen to any Focal cans with it, as I don't own any. That said, I have heard and read so many positive comments about synergy with Focal headphones that I am wondering if it was voiced with them?

HE otherwise is a beautiful bit of kit. I do love the looks and functionality, but it is 100% headphone fussy.
This had already been discussed. The HE sounds great across a variety of headphones. Not sure if Atrium is just a one off or it’s the 300 ohms that’s causing trouble. I’ve only used headphones less than the 100 ohms with great success. When I tried my Caldera out of a number of setups, nothing seemed superior. Really liked them with the Ferrum Oor stack but can’t say I found it better.

The Atrium bested the Caldera out of the Felik Envy. But out of the dcs Lina stack And Ferrum Oor, I preferred the Caldera. Possible the HE and the Atirum don’t synergize well but that doesn’t mean the HE only sounds great with Focal headphones. It is true the Focal headphones were used in its development for tuning. But to me that resulted in a fun, warmer sound. Almost tubelike for a solid state headphone. Kind of shame certain headphone don’t shine out of it since it a great all in one.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #667 of 695
And this has been mentioned before but if really like the all in one feature, can compromise and add a headphone amp more suitable for the Atrium. Just use the HE as a preamp and can take advantage of the streaming and volume control. Just hope the issue wasn’t the sound of the Dac that you didn’t like with the Atrium.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #669 of 695
How do I open the power fuse?

The power plug moves easily, is that the case with you?

The power plug outlet on the HE is isolated from the body so it feels loose even though it is quite solid.

The fuse is under a little flap on the connector you'll need to pry off.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #670 of 695
The power plug outlet on the HE is isolated from the body so it feels loose even though it is quite solid.

The fuse is under a little flap on the connector you'll need to pry off.
Tks.

I can't figure out how to open the flap to get to the safety.

Does the power plug on your HE car feel loose? On mine, the power plug moves.

Is that how it is from the factory?

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #671 of 695
Tks.

I can't figure out how to open the flap to get to the safety.

Does the power plug on your HE car feel loose? On mine, the power plug moves.

Is that how it is from the factory?
Mine has more "play" than I would expect, but it is normal to have the socket itself be loose. A large, stiff power cable will make the socket flex a bit.

Feb 26, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #673 of 695
The power cable should firmly fit all the way into the socket. The socket itself wiggles within the unit. Might have something to do with vibration control, not sure. The fuse is hidden within the socket and even contains a spare fuse. You should only replace with the same type of fuse. I have replaced with a slightly better ceramic fuse with the same ratings. I had a few fuses blow prior but found out was due to the power outlet attached to a dimmer setting on the wall. The other plug was unaffected and haven’t blown a fuse since.

I’ve seen in other threads people buying these $200 purple fuses and just makes me think people are crazy. I hear it, but still have trouble even believing a power cable makes a difference. Figure if fuses made any difference, switching from standard to ceramic would have some effect on the sound. As far as I can tell, nothing changed.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #674 of 695
The power cable should firmly fit all the way into the socket. The socket itself wiggles within the unit. Might have something to do with vibration control, not sure.

It's for electrical isolation. Same as the Folkvangr. No apparent sound benefit, but someone who buys a $200 fuse may feel differently about that. 😏

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #675 of 695
Is there a way that you can switch between headphone out and line out on remote or cellphone app? I had to press the button on the unit everytime which was a bit annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back