Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Jan 2, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #226 of 695
I paired the Utopia with a SPL phonitor xe+DAC connected to my PC and really like the combination. I use the USB port to feed it content and it supports up to 768kHz (which is utterly overkill). I haven't even tried using the Utopia on the Naim HE, because that combo is so good. For me, the killer feature of the Naim HE is the network connectivity, which allows me to place it anywhere and listen to Roon without having to attach another device. The Naim is also a nice compact unit compared to the SPL, which may matter.

If you just want a desktop unit, then consider just buying a DAP and not paying for features you don't need (e.g. display, wifi, OS w/ Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, ...).
Ha! After much consideration, I'm now using a DAP as my desktop (not my main system). Portability for sure, but they're getting really good for SQ. (Fiio M11 Plus LTD, Walkman NW-ZX500).

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #227 of 695
Hi all,
I’ve got a Uniti Star (which I love), and am keen to understand if the Uniti Headphone would offer a decent step up in terms of the headphone out? I tend to use JHAudio Roxanne customs for headphone listening but occasionally over ears too. Cheers! Tom

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #228 of 695
The Uniti headphone isn’t really designed for IEM’s with the output impedance. I’m not as familiar with the Roxanne having auditioned only once. But ymmv. Might be better looking at DAP’s ?

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #229 of 695
Curious as to what speaker amp folks are using with this.

I have the opportunity to pick up a dealer/open box and am currently running a Brooklyn DAC+ out to 2x Brooklyn Amp+.

I like the thought of eliminating my streamer box and like the look of the Naim.

Thoughts on matches or personal experiences?

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #232 of 695
The amps? Nothing at all. In fact, I quite like them more that most amps I have tried in recent years. Was just curious as to what folks were listening to.
I really like my Atom a lot. It streams flawlessly. I actually really love the volume knob. I got the speaker but considered the HE. Now I'm getting another HP amp. In my case it's desktop and I didn't want bigger speaker amp... But who cares...

As a streamer, it is fantastic. You would be done for source and headphones and you can use the speaker amp of choice. The screen and all the other features are perfect.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #233 of 695
I really like my Atom a lot. It streams flawlessly. I actually really love the volume knob. I got the speaker but considered the HE. Now I'm getting another HP amp. In my case it's desktop and I didn't want bigger speaker amp... But who cares...

As a streamer, it is fantastic. You would be done for source and headphones and you can use the speaker amp of choice. The screen and all the other features are perfect.
Nice! Yeah, the HE ticks all of the boxes except AES for my CD transport. Coax is fine. Preamp with XLR out, DAC, Roon Ready streamer. Check, check, check.

The other one that hits everything is the Auralic G2.1, but that is significantly more expensive. Which I realize is goofy given the cost of the HE, but I can offset with trade ins.

Love the screen as well!

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #234 of 695
20220129_194217.jpg

The volume is so easy to just spin from top. The Naim app is good, but I use roon for everything. I have had zero issues. But from everyone I've heard, the headphone output is very good besides being a good streamer. The speaker output is a little more challenging. Depending on the speakers you are driving, if you do end up getting a HE, you probably went the right path for you. And there is nothing cheap about it. Solid chuck of gear built like the proverbial tank. And no matter how hard I push it, for A/B, it never gets hot.

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #235 of 695
I've had the Atom HE for a month. It's an endgame amp for the Utopia I own, the synergy is a match made in heaven. Got good results with LCD-5 and Susvara as well (which I don't own), although the latter could benefit from a more powerful amp, still I thought it was more than decent with the HE. I recently dug out some older high end speakers and used the HE as a pre-amp to drive 4 x 100W mono blocks I am bi-amping with. Absolutely superb as a preamp, so much so that I may leave it in this set-up and use my Hugo 2 with my Utopia which I keep on my work desk. Or I might end up getting the Atom speaker edition or Naim Nova in the speaker system.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #237 of 695
I'm really curious about the Uniti Atom HE. Unfortunately, I don't live in an area where I can try one. Right now, my setup is a Bluesound Node 2 --> Denafrips Ares II --> TomB built Torpedo III amplifier with all the upgrades/tweaks. Anyone have any idea where the Atom HE would fall in regards to sound quality vs this setup? Would it be a step back, side step or step up?

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #238 of 695
I’ve had my Atom HE nearly a year now, since launch and i’ve noticed when i listen to a hard drive connected to it after few weeks it starts to now and then have an audio drop out. Today it got more frequent then it just froze with no audio just the album cover. Unplugging it and let stand for a few minutes seems bring it back to normal. Should i be concerned ?

Apr 2, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #240 of 695
I’ve had my Atom HE nearly a year now, since launch and i’ve noticed when i listen to a hard drive connected to it after few weeks it starts to now and then have an audio drop out. Today it got more frequent then it just froze with no audio just the album cover. Unplugging it and let stand for a few minutes seems bring it back to normal. Should i be concerned ?
I've only used the Atom with a thumb drive with no problems. Maybe check for firmware updates.

Also, from what I understand NAIM has great customer support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back