NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Oct 22, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #3,332 of 3,345
D5200 is also a slightly warm character with a very pleasant, elevated bass. Not basshead levels like Sony Z7 or Meze 99 Classics (I had those), but a decent, fat, punchy low-end.

I can easily recommend it because almost everybody liked its sound in our Hungarian headphone community. And this is a very rare thing. :)

Any pointers to this community? Köszi :)

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #3,334 of 3,345
Austrian Audio Hi-X60. Very neutral closed-back headphone with clean bass and excellent sense of space. Better built and much more comfortable than the NAD HP50s. And replacement earpads and headband pad are available from Austrian Audio.
I have tried the Hi-X15 and it was awful for me. Very U-shaped sound character, clean, but artificial sounding cans.
Of course this is their entry level set, but it was not a good experience.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #3,335 of 3,345
Ok. I'll order those Sony pads.

I just received them, the cheaper non cool version. They are thinner/shallower and less square than the originals but fit fine and I want to say they seal much better. I didn’t try to A/B but the sound with them is fine, going from memory perhaps a bit warmer than the originals perhaps due to the better seal. Comfort seems fine but can’t yet say how it is going to be after several hours. All in all it’s a passing grade.

I’ve been liking my Hifiman Sundaras but with EQ. They are open backs and not all that portable so not apples to apples. They are a bit more hyped up overall but kind of in a good entertaining way. The HP50s are still one of my favorites.

IMG_3526.jpegIMG_3529.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #3,336 of 3,345
Update on Krone Kalpasmos. Comfort ended up being a bit of an issue due to them being too thin and too soft - my ear gets pressed against the cup and gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours, and I don't have particularly big ears. Ordered some gel & memory foam 7506 pads from Brainwavs, they are a bit thicker and firmer. I think the sound with them is better as well than with the Kronos, they seal fine for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MW7KTS9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ&psc=1,

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #3,337 of 3,345
Update on Krone Kalpasmos. Comfort ended up being a bit of an issue due to them being too thin and too soft - my ear gets pressed against the cup and gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours, and I don't have particularly big ears. Ordered some gel & memory foam 7506 pads from Brainwavs, they are a bit thicker and firmer. I think the sound with them is better as well than with the Kronos, they seal fine for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MW7KTS9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ&psc=1,
I ordered today SONY MDR-7506 SHEEPSKIN Leather Replacement Premium Earpads.

Let see how that goes.

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,338 of 3,345
I ordered today SONY MDR-7506 SHEEPSKIN Leather Replacement Premium Earpads.

Let see how that goes.

I was considering those as well, went with the gel inserts as they are supposedly 2mm thicker than the leather ones, not sure if this is true tho as they max out exactly at 20mm at best according to my ruler but they are thicker than the Krones still.

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #3,339 of 3,345
I was considering those as well, went with the gel inserts as they are supposedly 2mm thicker than the leather ones, not sure if this is true tho as they max out exactly at 20mm at best according to my ruler but they are thicker than the Krones still.
I hope it will be ok. Didn't know what to order.

I think I need to buy another closed back headphone but don't know what to order.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #3,340 of 3,345
Many thanks -- I was about to order those Kalpasmos and now I'm instead adding the Brainwaz you say are more comfortable. :beerchug:

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #3,342 of 3,345
Update on the Brainwavs... Comfort and seal is excellent, spent all day and no issues, better than stock seal for sure. In terms of sound, I think they sound different than stock. A bit more airy/bright less warm, kind of need to crank up the volume for more of the midrange to come through or so it feels. I don't think it's bad, just different, we'll see if it sticks. I ended up with 2 sets as the first set had an imperfection in the inner foam liner that goes over the driver it was too loose/sloppy. The second set doesn't have this issue but is sewed a bit differently and seems to be a bit thinner, so there are some variations in quality and shape from sample to sample or so it seems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back