NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #3,181 of 3,345
Through numerous web publishing tricks the US site is slowly making it harder to find the product or overview of current headphones pages for the HP50. While keeping it live to provide search engines an accurate place to land on for specs etc.

Two continents about as widely removed as possible both selling the last stock of this headphone with different headbands would be quite interesting. Maybe valuable even. Sorry to hear it impacted ergonomics negatively without the HP70 hinged mounts fitted.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #3,182 of 3,345
Sorry to hear it impacted ergonomics negatively without the HP70 hinged mounts fitted.

Thank mate but it's not that bad - a little bit of extra fiddling is all that is required.

Might even try these mods;

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/b2ccb1/the_nad_viso_hp50s_are_an_ergonomic_nightmare/

Might even buy another pair to do the mods in case I stuff it up.

Sure would be nice to know one way or another when NAD changed the headband and why as I can find nothing on the web about it at all.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #3,183 of 3,345
I'm finding that it's harder to get a seal this time around as the pads/cups sit at an angle with more pressure at the top of the ears than than the bottom. I don't recall having this issue with the Frankenstein headband. I'm thinking they may have used the same upper headband frame as the HP70 which makes sense from a manufacturing point of view.

I'm still waiting for an answer from the local distributor and NAD re this change.

No mention of this headphone being discontinued on the aussie NAD website.

https://nadelectronics.com.au/product-category/headphones/over-ear-headphones/

As for the sound well, it's pretty bloody good.

Oh yeah, if anyone needs new drivers for these you can get them here;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...acement-Repair-Part-for-HP50/32847944151.html

Interesting about the fit, glad mine aren't that bad. As for the replacement drivers I would be more inclined to email NAD parts-usa@lenbrook.com about replacement parts vs trusting a third party supplier.

I know they were taken off of the NAD Canada site awhile ago, it might just be based on regional availability or market demand. Either way I doubt I would have gotten such an amazing deal if they were still readily available here.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #3,184 of 3,345
"What you do is attempt to rotate the earcup in the opposite direction until you hear a SNAP noise and the earcup rotates, being careful not to go too far and to break any wires. Do this for both earcups."

Not quite swallowing Tide Pods or newly released iPhone's that bend. Still pretty deep into the universe of believable information on the internet. I believe mid-thread here someone accidentally'd the cups into freely rotating.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #3,185 of 3,345
"What you do is attempt to rotate the earcup in the opposite direction until you hear a SNAP noise and the earcup rotates, being careful not to go too far and to break any wires. Do this for both earcups."

Not quite swallowing Tide Pods or newly released iPhone's that bend. Still pretty deep into the universe of believable information on the internet. I believe mid-thread here someone accidentally'd the cups into freely rotating.

*slowly raises hand*

IMG_6504.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #3,186 of 3,345
*slowly raises hand*

Did this improve comfort or sound?

Apparently some grass is greener on the other side of the fence types thought the cups rotating clockwise didn't allow them to locate properly in space. Preventing an optimal seal and forcing them to seat at an odd angle. Or maybe it was just setting the headphone down with the headband facing towards them was challenging and different. :beyersmile:

I liked you pictured them mid-surgical procedure looking as bent and broken as possible with the ϕ (halfway dead I instead of X eyed) adjustment tube openings exposed. This thread has had some pretty incredible work detailed on how to solve problems that would have seen many people give up and go listen to working headphones.

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #3,187 of 3,345
Did this improve comfort or sound?

Apparently some grass is greener on the other side of the fence types thought the cups rotating clockwise didn't allow them to locate properly in space. Preventing an optimal seal and forcing them to seat at an odd angle. Or maybe it was just setting the headphone down with the headband facing towards them was challenging and different. :beyersmile:

I liked you pictured them mid-surgical procedure looking as bent and broken as possible with the ϕ (halfway dead I instead of X eyed) adjustment tube openings exposed. This thread has had some pretty incredible work detailed on how to solve problems that would have seen many people give up and go listen to working headphones.

Well...if you had fitting issues and weren't able to get a good seal like I did back in the day then yes it definitely would improve the sound!

Yeah I had the wire around the headband go out on me too...but since there are plugs on both cups, it was a piece of cake to make them a balanced headphone.

I was trying out some other headphone that was the latest thing to try *cough*NDH20*cough* and found myself really enjoying the sound more from the HP50. I guess there's a reason why I've had these headphones in my collection for four years now. Well...one reason must be I must not be a fan of the Harman Curve.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #3,189 of 3,345
I see some discussion here about how they changed the headband and can confirm that there are 2 versions of the HP50. Here is a picture of both side-by-side:

10307361.jpg

I discuss the differences in the review I just posted for the HP50 (although it's a little late, since the HP50's are discontinued). The newer version has a more rounded headband as others have noted, but it also has much less creak. The old version is creaky enough for it to be a noticeable problem, and this is not the case with the new version (although there is some creak). The pads seem a little thicker on the newer version too, but I can't totally confirm that since they have different levels of use.

While this headphone was still in stock, it was heavily discounted from it's MSRP, about $100 off. At that price it was impossible to beat.

and a PSA: anyone modding their headphones should take care to not damage the serial number if they want to keep their warranty.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #3,190 of 3,345
Also if anyone knows where to find a replacement internal cable (the 3 wire one that runs through the headband), I would appreciate a link. It appears to be a very specialized cable.
Directly from NAD it would cost $45 with shipping.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #3,191 of 3,345
I see some discussion here about how they changed the headband and can confirm that there are 2 versions of the HP50. Here is a picture of both side-by-side:

10307361.jpg

I discuss the differences in the review I just posted for the HP50 (although it's a little late, since the HP50's are discontinued). The newer version has a more rounded headband as others have noted, but it also has much less creak. The old version is creaky enough for it to be a noticeable problem, and this is not the case with the new version (although there is some creak). The pads seem a little thicker on the newer version too, but I can't totally confirm that since they have different levels of use.

Somewhere I posted in this thread about how to get rid of the creak but it does involve opening the cups. You can search to find my post with the related links (with photos and instructions}. The creak was driving me nuts to the point where I could not use them.

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #3,192 of 3,345
Somewhere I posted in this thread about how to get rid of the creak but it does involve opening the cups. You can search to find my post with the related links (with photos and instructions}. The creak was driving me nuts to the point where I could not use them.

I know...
it just takes some lube around the hinge.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #3,194 of 3,345
I know...
it just takes some lube around the hinge.

In my case it was not the hinges. It was creaking inside the cup that required opening the cups and applying small bits of electrical tape to certain spots.

Here is my post from two years ago... I had quoted the person who first did the mod and there is a photo showing what part needs to be taped. It is scary opening them so do this at your own risk. I could not enjoy them at all before doing this.

There are detailed written instructions and a link to the photosphotos.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nad...rom-paul-barton.646735/page-196#post-13515823

The photos

https://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/nad-viso-hp50-creak-removal.1042689/

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #3,195 of 3,345
Has anyone who's lived with HP70 commented on creaking one way or the other?

Pulling the HP50 apart to put them on my head there is some groaning from the plastic. Have yet to find during listening, short of intentionally manipulating a cup, anything that produces creaking. Or discomfort. Quite a few hours happily spent wearing them. What really amazes me is they isolate noise inside the cups so well they're silent to people a few feet away.

Leather earpads identical to stock would complete the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back