NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Feb 28, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #3,106 of 3,345
Wondering if anyone could offer some insight into the worth of owning these vs one of the newer offerings that did, or could be said to have more fully, replaced them on the oft referenced InnerFidelity "Wall of Fame." Higher forces willing that wall fell out of existence with the retirement of its curator. So this partially serves to question if anything of significance has been released or a highly sought after mod for an existing phone has come to light that would be of relevance here.

Thanks

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #3,107 of 3,345
Just now finally bought a set of these for super cheap ($129 on Amazon). They're white, which is about $40 less than the black. White headphones are not my thing, but I don't plan to take these outside very often (too big). Anyway, being along time PSB speaker fan I'm very excited to finally hear these! It's hard to imagine that I'll dislike them.

My other closed backs are V Moda XS and Senn Amperior, and I love them both. Can't wait to see how the HP50's fit in with these two. I'm really hoping they kinda split the difference as far as sound balance goes, as I love the mids of the XS but would like a little more high end detail. And I like the low and high end extension on the Amperiors, although they're a tiny bit too bright sometimes. But the mids recess (relative to the XS) bums me out a little.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,108 of 3,345
Yup, I've been using these since 2015 and I love these headphones (thanks Tyll). I've gone through two of them though and I'm on my third one (which I managed to get just before the warranty expired). Its Achilles Heel is the thin wire that connects the two drivers through the headband. I've been playing around with other headphones but then I got this Topping DX7s amp and been playing around with my old headphones with new balanced cables. It hit me that the Viso HP50 had a TRRS plug on one of the stock cables. I wonder if this headphone can go balanced?

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #3,109 of 3,345
Believe numerous people have successfully used balanced cables. My personal favorite being the guy who got a bit overly exuberant bending the frame outwards. Sure some laughed at his answer but to me he really drove home the Canadian heritage and styling by incorporating shooting hearing protection. (Seriously, click expand and look at the photos.)

So, ummm... I modded the headband using Howard Leight shooting ear muffs I got on sale from Amazon...

[ http://www.amazon.ca/Howard-Leight-...d=1428187136&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight+L3 ]

With the $20 bonus from Amazon Visa sign-up it came down to $6.71.

Some nylon nuts/washers/bolts from Home Depot for $4.45...

[ http://www.homedepot.ca/product/6-32x1-2-flat-slot-hd-nylon-mach-screw/956490 ]

... and Krazy Glue for $1.89.

All in all, +/- $14.

End product was a bit tight at first, but with a little straightening I got a comfy fit without losing seal. The dreaded creaking that came with the stock headband was of course gone -- Big plus!

If the stock headband was light, it is even lighter now. There is a small rectangular hole on the outside of the cups from where the stock headband was attached. I filled them up with a little Shoe Goo. I'll cover them up with stickers or sumthin' later.

Nylon fasteners at Home Depot only come in white. I don't mind, but I might rub it with black Sharpie if I find one.

Btw, you would notice there's no connection between the right and left earcups. I've been using a Y-cable.

I am a novice, this is my first mod ever. I'd like to think I did a pretty decent job. ^_^

(Actually, it is not a mod in my case. I broke the headband and the wire inside. So, it is more of a repair to me than a mod. :)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #3,110 of 3,345
Just now finally bought a set of these for super cheap ($129 on Amazon). They're white, which is about $40 less than the black. White headphones are not my thing, but I don't plan to take these outside very often (too big). Anyway, being along time PSB speaker fan I'm very excited to finally hear these! It's hard to imagine that I'll dislike them.

My other closed backs are V Moda XS and Senn Amperior, and I love them both. Can't wait to see how the HP50's fit in with these two. I'm really hoping they kinda split the difference as far as sound balance goes, as I love the mids of the XS but would like a little more high end detail. And I like the low and high end extension on the Amperiors, although they're a tiny bit too bright sometimes. But the mids recess (relative to the XS) bums me out a little.

I use the Amperior as my nighttime headphones, straight out of a Kaito KA1102 radio. While the Kaito is a fine shortwave radio, I use it almost exclusively for local FM stereo (NPR: "Echoes" and classical music at night). The combination of high sensitivity, isolation, comfort, and PRaT of the Amperior is unmatched for that application.

The HP50 is an excellent, more polite, alternative to the Amperior with a more "out-of-your head" soundstage. I have never heard the V Moda XS (or any other V Moda headphones). The headphone that I would compare to the HP50 in terms of form factor and intended use is the 1More Triple Driver Over Ear. The 1More is almost an exaggerated version of the Amperior, with better soundstage, lots of PrAT, but less portability, efficiency, and isolation.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #3,111 of 3,345
Believe numerous people have successfully used balanced cables. My personal favorite being the guy who got a bit overly exuberant bending the frame outwards. Sure some laughed at his answer but to me he really drove home the Canadian heritage and styling by incorporating shooting hearing protection. (Seriously, click expand and look at the photos.)

Wow that's pretty cool lol. Welp, I just did it myself. Surprisingly easy as all I had to do was wipe out all the headband wire connections and then rewire the right side driver.
IMG_4592.JPG

The result is an old headphone I've had shelved for months reborn. Considering the TRRS plug that the stock cable had I wonder if that's what Paul wanted in the first place.

Attachments

• IMG_4589.JPG
    IMG_4589.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #3,113 of 3,345
It certainly showcases intelligent design. Do you have any noticeable differences in sound quality or level?

I've been listening it using my new Topping DX7s and honestly...I'm only hearing a minor difference where I get better separation of instruments and sound. Aside from that the overall warm sound of the headphones remain intact.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,114 of 3,345
Had a chance to listen to these today at a shop and I thought they sounded quite nice. Definitely a warm leaning headphone, non fatiguing. I felt that there was indeed a slight treble roll off, very slight though. I also felt the bass lacked a little texture and resolution, and some type of lower-end hollowness I couldn’t put my finger on. Mids were very nice, if just a little slightly over-warm. I also found them comfortable.

I didn’t bring it with me to hear side by side but I know my H6 Gen 2 pretty well by now. H6 has more subbass, slightly tighter mid bass (but less of it), brighter mids (therefore a little less natural/balanced but still pretty fine), crispier treble, and an overall greater feeling of clarity, and better separation, maybe slightly better imaging too. Soundstage about the same as both. I didn’t get the room-feel sensation from the HP50.

I think in terms of sound quality they are both similar, maybe the H6 slightly more refined but not as warm/natural in the mids. Also the H6 has better materials and build. It looks like the HP50 sells for about $170 now. That’s a very good price...

By the way, I also tried the B&W PX and did not like them at all.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #3,115 of 3,345
Had a chance to listen to these today at a shop and I thought they sounded quite nice. Definitely a warm leaning headphone, non fatiguing. I felt that there was indeed a slight treble roll off, very slight though. I also felt the bass lacked a little texture and resolution, and some type of lower-end hollowness I couldn’t put my finger on. Mids were very nice, if just a little slightly over-warm. I also found them comfortable.

I didn’t bring it with me to hear side by side but I know my H6 Gen 2 pretty well by now. H6 has more subbass, slightly tighter mid bass (but less of it), brighter mids (therefore a little less natural/balanced but still pretty fine), crispier treble, and an overall greater feeling of clarity, and better separation, maybe slightly better imaging too. Soundstage about the same as both. I didn’t get the room-feel sensation from the HP50.

I think in terms of sound quality they are both similar, maybe the H6 slightly more refined but not as warm/natural in the mids. Also the H6 has better materials and build. It looks like the HP50 sells for about $170 now. That’s a very good price...

By the way, I also tried the B&W PX and did not like them at all.

See here's the funny thing about the NAD HP50. Paul basically markets the headphone as being in a small room with good speakers. On one hand the headphones back themselves into a corner because they have that warm sound. But when I flip back and forth with...say Focal Listen, Takstar Pro 82, or even the HD600 (to some degree) and notice better treble and such then I just say to myself, well that's how the NAD is supposed to sound anyway and thus I could never say that it sounds bad or sounds "worse" than other headphones.

And this could be an unpopular opinion but...I never met a B&W headphone I liked. Maybe the cable was damaged but my bro and I tried the P9 once then laughed and agreed that we'd rather use a pair of KSC-75.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #3,116 of 3,345
See here's the funny thing about the NAD HP50. Paul basically markets the headphone as being in a small room with good speakers. On one hand the headphones back themselves into a corner because they have that warm sound. But when I flip back and forth with...say Focal Listen, Takstar Pro 82, or even the HD600 (to some degree) and notice better treble and such then I just say to myself, well that's how the NAD is supposed to sound anyway and thus I could never say that it sounds bad or sounds "worse" than other headphones.

And this could be an unpopular opinion but...I never met a B&W headphone I liked. Maybe the cable was damaged but my bro and I tried the P9 once then laughed and agreed that we'd rather use a pair of KSC-75.
Exactly, just a different sound signature, doesn’t make it a bad headphone. It’s a very good one. I enjoyed their sound.

I do have to wonder if something was up with the PX I tried, it sounded very funky to me.

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #3,117 of 3,345

Hey have you yet recieved the HP50? I wonder what you think of it's treble

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #3,118 of 3,345
Actually thinking of getting these again. I've had them back in August of 2015, and back then I remembered them as vocal recessed and grainy.

But I'm wondering if I'd find them different now, that I've upgraded my gear and heard a lot more headphones.

I also remember not liking the HD 650 when I first got them due to the same problem of distant vocals, but I have no problem with them now that my gear is better, and I've got more experience with how my songs are recorded relative to the sound signature of the headphone I'm using

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #3,119 of 3,345
Actually thinking of getting these again. I've had them back in August of 2015, and back then I remembered them as vocal recessed and grainy.

But I'm wondering if I'd find them different now, that I've upgraded my gear and heard a lot more headphones.

I also remember not liking the HD 650 when I first got them due to the same problem of distant vocals, but I have no problem with them now that my gear is better, and I've got more experience with how my songs are recorded relative to the sound signature of the headphone I'm using

I bought these headphones in 2016 and thought they sounded ok. They were cheap, $130 cdn so I forgave any of their shortcomings. I’ve since stepped up to better dacs/amps and much more expensive headphones, lcd2c & hifiman Ananda’s.

Unfortunately, I can’t stand the sound from these headphones anymore. They have no slam and lack a lot of detail. I still think they’re worlds better than say hd598’s, which I just find repulsive, but they’re definitely a step down in detail from the hd6xx.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #3,120 of 3,345
Grabbed a pair of HP50 on Amazon for $125 a few days ago to try out and compare against Sennheiser Momentum 2 Over-Ear which I've been using for about a year now on a regular basis in the gym. My sources are an Apple USB-C 3.5mm dongle and as of late LG V30+.
First thing I noticed is the lack of comfort all around. The ear cups fail to make a good seal around my ears no matter what, this is one of the less good cup/headband designs that I got to wear in my life which is a pity because the materials seem nice. The poor seal means I can't really use them in a noisy gym without a bunch of noise leaking in. The other comfort issue that I noticed after listening for about 20 minutes, is that the headband makes my head ache where it makes contact, I tried different size settings and angles, had similar results. I think the way Nad want you to wear these is while the headband isn't touching your head and the headphones are held in place strictly by sheer clamping force lol. The quality of the stock provided cables is also very questionable, I'm sure they heard about the benefits of twisted pair cables at Nad. I immediately connected an after market cable to these.

I think that people who don't listen to bass heavy music would like the sound these headphones produce. I'd say they mostly shine in the mids while the bass and treble are good but not excellent overall there's a certain degree of graininess and compression in the sound despite being quite resolving. The bass is accurate but without EQ it sounds at least as bass shy as my K702's, and even if I push the earcups with my hands inward to create a perfect seal.. the bass still sounds significantly weaker, less defined and less enjoyable than through the Sennheiser Momentum 2 OE or JVC HA-S500 (my usual gym headphones).
I'm still trying to figure out how could the bass response of HP50 measure so well on innerfidelity, IMHO if you don't EQ them they don't have enough bass to enjoy EDM or rap music and I try to avoid EQ'ing as much as I can so these are going back in a return. I'm even more baffled by how innerfidelity could dethrone Sennheiser Momentum 2 from the wall of fame by HP50, the design of HP50 comfort-wise simply cannot compete with Momentum 2 over-ear in my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back