NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jul 7, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #2,176 of 3,345
Compared to open backed can, there is an ethereal airiness that all closed back headphones that I have heard seem to miss, . Open back headphones sound less claustrophobically in your head. The sound stage on closed backs is generally less wide than open backs. None of this has to do with treble. The HP 50s while not at the extreme end of closed backs, still share these general traits.

I find that compared to most of the TOTL headphones I have heard over the years( some examples: LDCX, HD800, STAX SR007 &  SR009 etc.), the HP50s don't have the micro detail and fast transient response. Unfair comparison perhaps, but good to know that if you spend more, you will get more. But for the moolah, the HP50s are a great sounding headphone in a very competitive price range.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #2,177 of 3,345
  Compared to open backed can, there is an ethereal airiness that all closed back headphones that I have heard seem to miss, . Open back headphones sound less claustrophobically in your head. The sound stage on closed backs is generally less wide than open backs. None of this has to do with treble. The HP 50s while not at the extreme end of closed backs, still share these general traits.

While Fostex's TH900's very V-shaped and has a fked up FR graph, it has amazing airiness for an closed back when paired with the right equipment. I would even say that it's more airy than many openbacks. You should try it if you can get a chance because they're really fun to listen to! Satisfaction guaranteed! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #2,178 of 3,345
  While Fostex's TH900's very V-shaped and has a fked up FR graph, it has amazing airiness for an closed back when paired with the right equipment. I would even say that it's more airy than many openbacks. You should try it if you can get a chance because they're really fun to listen to! Satisfaction guaranteed! 
biggrin.gif

Thnx for the tip! I haven't heard it until now, so I will make a point of checking out...
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2,179 of 3,345
Well, that didn't take long.  The elastic part on the back of the HM5 pads are just too big for the lip on the NADs.  Even if they did fit, the pads are SUPER thick and would undoubtedly mess with the sound in unfavorable ways.  I'll give the dt250 pads a try when I get a chance.  They are much smaller and thinner, but still comfortable so they would probably be better if they fit.

That's odd. The article I quoted showed the HM5 pads on the HP50... well it showed one of each pad. I assumed he actually put the headphones on his head with both HM5 pads attached and listened. But even if they fit ok, if it significantly effects the sound, it's a no go for me.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions after you try to fit the dt250 pads to the HP50. If it's an improvement that would be very encouraging. :)

Brian.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,180 of 3,345
I'm looking forward to reading your impressions after you try to fit the dt250 pads to the HP50. If it's an improvement that would be very encouraging. :)

Brian.

The dt250 pads had a huge and very positive effect on the hfi-780s I out them on. I let my friend use them for a while on the some m50s but I didn't listen to them much. We'll see what they do when put in the hp50s when I get a chance.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2,181 of 3,345
I haven't heard the Momentums, so I can't compare. But I'll tell you that the HP50s don't have any real emphasis on treble at all. To some this means they "lack sparkle". Or "aren't detailed". That sense of extreme detail and "air" you get from headphones with bright highs has a real wow factor to it. The pair of SoundMagic HP150s I owned had some serious wow because of the bright highs. I found them fatiguing to listen to, especially on older music that doesn't have as much low end as newer music.

To me, the HP50s are incredibly well balanced, but certainly have good highs. They don't sound like a speaker or headphone that clearly lacks highs. The highs are just where they are supposed to be. ...and surprisingly detailed though without a "grab you and make you notice" quality.

I had an occasional customer at the stereo store I used to work at named Chris. Chris was a pretty serious audiophile and owned a pair of Quad Electrostats. He liked to say that what made the Quads great was "you don't hear the tweeter". Meaning, the highs don't call attention to themselves. Instruments just sound natural. In my opinion, this is very high praise. I think the HP50s are a headphone Chris would have liked; if not quite as much as his beloved Quads.

Brian.

Agree with this. Best in terms of TONAL accuracy and balance. You couldn't say treble is emphasized, nor the mids, and neither is the bass. This should be quickly updated by PSB/NAD in terms of ergonomics.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,182 of 3,345

I find that compared to most of the TOTL headphones I have heard over the years( some examples: LDCX, HD800, STAX SR007 &  SR009 etc.), the HP50s don't have the micro detail and fast transient response. Unfair comparison perhaps, but good to know that if you spend more, you will get more. But for the moolah, the HP50s are a great sounding headphone in a very competitive price range.

Again, disagree with this, respectfully. I've read and heard this kind of comment on the HP50 before, seriously took it into consideration, tested it critically after around a week of not hearing anything audio, and I just couldn't find the HP50 lacking in ANY micro detail, in all frequencies. I just couldn't.

If I would be asked to pick on a weakness sonically, and I'm really splitting hairs here, it would be the mid-bass--it's a bit lacking solidity or "thump". I guess this is a bit of compromise for that accurate and quantiful sub-bass.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #2,183 of 3,345
Again, disagree with this, respectfully. I've read and heard this kind of comment on the HP50 before, seriously took it into consideration, tested it critically after around a week of not hearing anything audio, and I just couldn't find the HP50 lacking in ANY micro detail, in all frequencies. I just couldn't.

If I would be asked to pick on a weakness sonically, and I'm really splitting hairs here, it would be the mid-bass--it's a bit lacking solidity or "thump". I guess this is a bit of compromise for that accurate and quantiful sub-bass.

Lucky you! Saves you lots of money. On the other hand, the micro detail in particular is pretty obviously missing for me compared to pretty much every TOTL headphone I can think of. It is kind of instantly obvious when you AB between HP50 and the TOTL of several well regarded headphone manufacturers. Personally, I think it is because of the slight downward tilt (bassy) of the sound signature ( I know you don't agree with that either). 

The decay isn't as natural on acoustic instruments compared to either of the STAX SR007 or 9 and the HD800, I could go on and on... But these points have all been made and you don't hear it that way. Lucky you!

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2,184 of 3,345
Lucky you! Saves you lots of money. On the other hand, the micro detail in particular is pretty obviously missing for me compared to pretty much every TOTL headphone I can think of. It is kind of instantly obvious when you AB between HP50 and the TOTL of several well regarded headphone manufacturers. Personally, I think it is because of the slight downward tilt (bassy) of the sound signature ( I know you don't agree with that either). 

The decay isn't as natural on acoustic instruments compared to either of the STAX SR007 or 9 and the HD800, I could go on and on... But these points have all been made and you don't hear it that way. Lucky you!

Yeah, saved me a lot. When I heard the NAD, I really couldn't believe that a HP at that price is that good, so accurate, and an iPhone at that. It was a wow moment. I own Audeze LCD-2.2 at that time, and prior to that I sold an LCD-2Fazor, and in fact planning to get an LCD-3, LCD-X or HD800...so one couldn't say I'm TOTL-averse. And I totally haven't seen any review or comment on the NAD, if ever, I just skipped them before.

Later, when I grew my hair a bit, I experienced pain on top of my head due to NAD's headband design. I immediately got its brother, the PSB M4U1, and was even more amazed. Even more accurate bass, with bit more stringency on the treble. Really unbelievable for the price. I guess yeah I'm lucky my ears liked them, in process saving lots of bucks. Also made me believe on the Harman curve.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #2,185 of 3,345
Got my HP50s in today. Been listening to them now for like 10 minutes, and the sound is.... a bit weird. They sound natural yes, but there is a certain grittines to the sound in the uppermids. I'm hoping this will go away after burn in.

Other than that, they don't have a lot of clarity imo. For instance, my creative aurvana live sounds a lot clearer, and as of right now, more natural. 

Bass is excellent on these though. Very tight, goes deep and fast.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #2,186 of 3,345
  Got my HP50s in today. Been listening to them now for like 10 minutes, and the sound is.... a bit weird. They sound natural yes, but there is a certain grittines to the sound in the uppermids. I'm hoping this will go away after burn in.

Other than that, they don't have a lot of clarity imo. For instance, my creative aurvana live sounds a lot clearer, and as of right now, more natural. 

Bass is excellent on these though. Very tight, goes deep and fast.

Don't worry too much. It took 2-3 weeks to burn in for me. Also, because the sound balance is quite different from many headphones it took me 1 week to get used to the sound. Once you get used to it and it burns in though, you'll really start to like the sound.

Uppermids' grittiness does go away a bit but you will still notice it a little against the smoothest headphone depending on the set up you have (also the recording ofc).

The clarity and the airiness may seem like it's less than the CAL at first if you've listened to that headphone a lot because the highs are quite a bit elevated on the FR graph.
But then, like I have said, it does take some time to adjust but you won't regret it, especially for the price.
Enjoy. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2,187 of 3,345
I'd think you're hearing your upstream gears, not the NAD. I find it extremely accurate on an iPhone. Bit warm on Audiolab 8200 and O2. And I find it clearer in mids and treble than the PSB M4U1.

Try truly transparent DAC and amp to hear how a HP is designed.

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,189 of 3,345
I found the perfect EQ for them, if they would become less harsh in in the uppermids. If you boost the 16 khz on these headphones, they become really clear while still sounding very natural (ofcourse if I would rule out that grittiness I hear in the uppermids)

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,190 of 3,345
I've been an audio enthusiast for many years and I've heard (and used) a LOT of descriptive terms for audio quality. "Gritty" doesn't mean anything in the audio world to me. Can you use some other well known audio terms to describe what you are hearing?

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back