NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jul 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,232 of 3,345
  Just received my pair on Tuesday, so a bit late to the game, but it was worth it. While the looks are disputable (I kind of like the design, though the headband sticks out a bit too much visually), comfort is very good to me (much better than with the Focal Spirit Pro), build quality seems good (the headband extensions clicks have very solid feeling, overall its nice to hold) and, most important, sound quality is excellent given its asking price.

Its rendering of voices is beautiful, it offers good bass extension, is never aggressive... very likable. For easily enjoying music it gives many others a run for their money...

I echo your impressions, a very good sounding headphone. It does nothing wrong and most things very well. Different character, but in terms of price/performance ratio this feels like the DT880 for me, but with a sound signature more people are going to be able to enjoy. I like how you put it, never aggressive, and I would add not smoothed over too the point of losing detail. Certainly a home run with the sound and design is fairly nice.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,236 of 3,345
Quick update, I still really like these little headphones! They do a really good job with just about every genre I throw at it, they're a very good general headphone. I am still having headband comfort issues, though, but I did slightly fix it by pushing the headband forward a bit (which negatively impacts the ear comfort, but not by a lot). Because of the comfort concerns, I picked up a Focal Spirit Classic which will be battling it out with the NAD in a head-to-head comparison for my love. The Focal should arrive on Monday.

I've heard a few times that these headphones sound like an open headphone, and I have to agree! While they don't sound as open as some open headphones, they have wonderfully low distortion and quick decay, making them sound very open for a closed headphone.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #1,237 of 3,345
  (...) never aggressive, and I would add not smoothed over too the point of losing detail.

Exactly that: detailed but smooth, they really got that right.

Regarding comparisons with the Focal Spirit line: I don't have my FSP at hand but comfort-wise I prefer the NAD. The cups are a bit bigger and fit me better. It does clamp less as well, but thats not too bad with the Focal.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #1,238 of 3,345
If only NAD had provided a 6' cable for home use! What a pain the short cable is when trying to listen at home. And frankly, while you can use these as portable, they really are not that well suited for that which certainly calls into question NAD only supplying cables for portable use. Keep in mind when I say portable I mean using while you are out and about, not just taking them to the office to be used there. Short cable = poor planning. I had to order some 10' cables from Monoprice that should be here soon and that according to another member here fit the HP50 and sound the same as the stock cable. I will be testing soon I hope.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,239 of 3,345
Yes, it would have been nice for the button-less cable to be longer... at least some decent length for desktop usage if not the full 3m. At least the jacks are not too deep, should be possible to find a fitting third party cable.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,240 of 3,345
  Yes, it would have been nice for the button-less cable to be longer... at least some decent length for desktop usage if not the full 3m. At least the jacks are not too deep, should be possible to find a fitting third party cable.

Is there not links to long TRRS cables already in this thread ?

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,243 of 3,345
If you go to monoprice cables website search for 3.5mm flat cable and the proper cables should be found. There are 4 colours if I remember correctly and good prices as well.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,244 of 3,345
  Quick update, I still really like these little headphones! They do a really good job with just about every genre I throw at it, they're a very good general headphone. I am still having headband comfort issues, though, but I did slightly fix it by pushing the headband forward a bit (which negatively impacts the ear comfort, but not by a lot). Because of the comfort concerns, I picked up a Focal Spirit Classic which will be battling it out with the NAD in a head-to-head comparison for my love. The Focal should arrive on Monday.

I've heard a few times that these headphones sound like an open headphone, and I have to agree! While they don't sound as open as some open headphones, they have wonderfully low distortion and quick decay, making them sound very open for a closed headphone.

Do tell me how u get on - I returned the focal spirit classics and picked up the NAD HP50s which I'm using at the moment.

My experience with the focals was good but I found the comfort unbearable.  If focal are going to use such small earcups they should at least make them as soft as those on the momentums, otherwise they're asking for trouble imo.

The NADs aren't perfect comfort-wise, but in my experience are far better than the focals.  Isolation is better on the focals but that's no surprise with the calliper pressure on them.

I think sound wise I'll give  the edge to the focals - they don't drive as easily as the NADs imo, but I preferred the immediacy of the focal's sound, with a wide soundstage where appropriate, and not all the time as with the NADs.  That's part of the reason electronic music really does not shine on the NADs -  listen to Papaoutai by Stromae on the NADs and you'll see what I mean.

I wouldn't travel with either of them.  The bag that comes with the focals is pathetic, the NADs are more delicate - both are just too big for travel.  This does leave me wondering...why be closed back at all?

However in the library both work well.

I'm keeping the NADs though - I did not like the momentums, couldn't put up with the focal's comfort levels, and want to spend more time enjoying my music than obsessively buying and returning headphones. 

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,245 of 3,345
I say give them a little time, I listen to a great deal of electronic music with the NAD and I find it very, very good. Try Adham Shaiki Sub Bubbles (Original Mix) from the Collectivity album. I don't find the sound stage all that wide on the NADs, if anything I don't really hear them as open sounding as it seems many others do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back