NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,157 of 3,345
Does anyone have these to compare to the mad dogs? Tried scanning through but didn't see a comparison. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I'm sure a search of the NAD threads will bring up some opinions.  Much better than trying to scan through.  Use the search this thread function up top.

I have used both.  To me NAD has better low end extension, mids are close with more speed for the Dogs and a bit more forwardness on the NADs, and high end transient speed to the dogs but extension to the Nads.  As for comfort the Dogs are very good  if you have small ears.  Overall both are great and actually fairly similar.

Try searching the Macedonian Hero 16 closed can comparison thread, I am sure he owned both and made some comments.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,159 of 3,345
I demoed the HP50 today and I was really impressed by them. I usually use the Denon AH-D600 and I have enjoyed them but I know the old D2000s were supposed to be better. I read on Innerfidelity that Tyll prefers the HP50 to the Denon D5000. So I decided to listen to the HP50 as in theory these would be much better.

In short, they are. They're not as comfortable as my AH-D600 nor do they have the same spacious sound. I really enjoyed how the HP50's mids are more forward than my Denons. It didn't go quite as deep but it was much more controller and textured.

At work I regularly use headphones up to 6 hours a day easily. The Denons excel here as they're just so comfy. My work headphones also have to be closed back.

I also listened to the B&W P7, I thought these were ok, nowhere near the HP50s though. I also listened to the Sony MDR-1R, these were good but not as enjoyable as my Denons. Finally I also demoed the AKG K845BT, I only had about 20 minutes at the end with these. I enjoyed them, but didn't quite find time to really figure them out. I've previously heard the Momentum's and they were too small for my ears.

So in short, I'm torn on the HP50. The headband applied too much pressure on the top of my head and the ear cups were uncomfortably small.

I don't really know where to go from here. Surely there must be an answer? I've heard good things about the Fostex TH-600 but they're a bit of a step up price wise.

Any suggestions? 

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,160 of 3,345
  I demoed the HP50 today and I was really impressed by them. I usually use the Denon AH-D600 and I have enjoyed them but I know the old D2000s were supposed to be better. I read on Innerfidelity that Tyll prefers the HP50 to the Denon D5000. So I decided to listen to the HP50 as in theory these would be much better.

In short, they are. They're not as comfortable as my AH-D600 nor do they have the same spacious sound. I really enjoyed how the HP50's mids are more forward than my Denons. It didn't go quite as deep but it was much more controller and textured.

At work I regularly use headphones up to 6 hours a day easily. The Denons excel here as they're just so comfy. My work headphones also have to be closed back.

I also listened to the B&W P7, I thought these were ok, nowhere near the HP50s though. I also listened to the Sony MDR-1R, these were good but not as enjoyable as my Denons. Finally I also demoed the AKG K845BT, I only had about 20 minutes at the end with these. I enjoyed them, but didn't quite find time to really figure them out. I've previously heard the Momentum's and they were too small for my ears.

So in short, I'm torn on the HP50. The headband applied too much pressure on the top of my head and the ear cups were uncomfortably small.

I don't really know where to go from here. Surely there must be an answer? I've heard good things about the Fostex TH-600 but they're a bit of a step up price wise.

Any suggestions? 

welcome to the big ear club
biggrin.gif

Sony MDR-7520s or Shure 1540s might be worth trying.  

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,161 of 3,345

Any suggestions? 

D2k = in stock config. more ragged treble that varies with recording Q more than HP50..... HP50 = super smooth upper region kind to many grades of mastering.

Common gripe with HP-50 .....
Headband = make a suspension headband from a cloth facemask so your head does not touch the original headband.
Earpads = pad them up internally with tissue or gel inserts....if anything it solidifies the lower region.

Fostex TH-600 is an over-priced D2K with marginal stock improvements that don't justify the price.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,162 of 3,345

Any suggestions?

Focal Spirit Classic?
very good noise isolation from firm clamping but still comfortable

ULTRASONE Signature DJ?
Beautifully defined and punchy bass, lightweight, plush leather earpads and headband

Fostex TH600 are excellent but as you say, are pricey and I would also add not the most robust for work environment, even if in office and isolation is not the best either, also big form factor.

But if form factor and not the best isolation aren't particular issue for you, then the Fostex may be worth spending that extra for, as the ear cups are very spacious, soundstage is large, very airy and I find the fit very comfy. All round superb cans IMO.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,163 of 3,345
If anyone knows a bigger rectangular earpad that may fit these I might pick up a pair again later this year.....

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #1,164 of 3,345
Thanks for the advice about black vs white. I picked up the white but I think it was a mistake because the color is only on the side of the housing whilst the rest is black, so it looks a little strange.

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #1,165 of 3,345
I've had these headphones for a few weeks now and I really don't know if I want to keep them or not. On the one hand I love how they sound, even more so than my HD650's. the Treble rolloff is perfect and the sub-bass is way better than the HD650. The soundstage is also really large for it being a closed headphone. However, I can't stand the comfort of these headphones. The pads are way too small and the headband creates a lot of pressure on the top of my head. Should I expect the comfort to get better after a while? Has anyone experienced the clamp force loosening up or the pads getting softer? i really wanna love these headphones but I just cant stand them after a wearing them for a few hours.  

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,166 of 3,345
  I've had these headphones for a few weeks now and I really don't know if I want to keep them or not. On the one hand I love how they sound, even more so than my HD650's. the Treble rolloff is perfect and the sub-bass is way better than the HD650. The soundstage is also really large for it being a closed headphone. However, I can't stand the comfort of these headphones. The pads are way too small and the headband creates a lot of pressure on the top of my head. Should I expect the comfort to get better after a while? Has anyone experienced the clamp force loosening up or the pads getting softer? i really wanna love these headphones but I just cant stand them after a wearing them for a few hours.  

The first week they were a bit uncomfortable to me but now I don't notice anymore. Perhaps it get a bit warm on the ears sometimes and I need a brake, but that's a common problem with not-huge closed over ear.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,168 of 3,345

Fully extend the arms to the max to take the pressure off crown. If that does not work, make a suspension cloth from dust facemask so your head does not touch headband at all (look at new HiFiMAN HE-560 headband to get an idea).
Bend out the headband by hand CAREFULLY or stretch the headband out by putting the headphones over a wider than your head stack of books.
Earpad replacement with bigger similar shaped earpads (but may affect SQ). Suede top your current earpads to take the heat issue away.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,169 of 3,345
I'm truly amazed at the number of people here that have had comfort issues. Must be a statistical anomaly.....you know, where only the complaints are showing up and the people who are happy (the majority) simply say nothing at all.

These can be worn loose (as has been mentioned several times in this thread). They are very light for their size and have enough clamp (for most) to just let them sit over your ears with no pressure from the top band. Mine sit like that and are perfectly comfortable.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,170 of 3,345
  I'm truly amazed at the number of people here that have had comfort issues. Must be a statistical anomaly.....you know, where only the complaints are showing up and the people who are happy (the majority) simply say nothing at all.

These can be worn loose (as has been mentioned several times in this thread). They are very light for their size and have enough clamp (for most) to just let them sit over your ears with no pressure from the top band. Mine sit like that and are perfectly comfortable.

I'll add to the happy people sample size here. Wow, I can't believe I've had these headphones over six months! I continue to be pleased and sometimes surprised at just how good the sound is from these. To my ears, everything about these headphones sounds just "right". Nothing is overdone, or underdone. Every characteristic of these headphones seems to be there to serve the ultimate purpose of making music sound great. I do understand where the complaints about comfort come from. Fortunately my ears aren't so big that they don't fit. And the suggestion to wear these loose, so that the headband doesn't press against your head is valid and works well. Worn like that I can leave them on for hours of listening pleasure. If I wear them tight like other headphones, I do get some pain from the headband. Just extend them so it doesn't put pressure on your head and you should be fine (if your ears fit). I love the tagline on the box: "We don't care about your lifestyle. We care about your ears."

I will add, that I don't think these are very portable. I've traveled with them, and they don't take up much space when stored, but they kind of take a lot of space when they are in use. When I was sitting in a window seat I kept hitting the wall of the plane with them, just from normal movement of my head. I just picked up a pair of V-moda XS as travel headphones, and they are much better suited to portability. They sound really great (info for another thread), but the HP50s sound much better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back