NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Feb 11, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #707 of 3,345
I found these phones to be finicky as to the final position of the pads on the ears but that went away with trial and error. The clamping factor was a bit of an annoyance at first too, but that went away as well. Sending them off to the 'Beatles White Album' (.wav files) for their maiden voyage was transportive and surprising. Though the lack of treble as a sparkly thing was gone, the treble that was there revealed more detail than the former would have. There was more than a hint of gold but the finish was dry. The bass was never indistinct and the impact was more than adequate, which is to say I didn't want more nor did I want less. The vocals were spot on: Meaning not dry nor wet but you felt a sense of the humane musical intent and the human as a person. I know that sounds rather intimate but that is what I mean: Vocals are quite intimate. 
This headphone definitely has this hierarchy   Mids>Bass>Treble-----

Break in is mandatory. One hundred hours should do it---otherwise prepare for congestion after your initial new toy syndrome wears off in a few hours.

I found these headphones unforgiving of poor recordings and very generous to rich ones.  

I also found, to my surprise, asI left these on my head and went about other things as my litmus test to see if they would pull my attention from the details of life, that their accuracy would startle me from browsing on the net or from various chains of thought. Sounds within the stereo field, like a bass drum that made me jump with the full thought that a bird had hit the window of my vehicle or a high hat that shimmered with a perfect presence as to give me an unexpected vision of the drum stick seducing the brass, would pop up more and more frequently. Then I tried them for monitoring music production. The moment Apple's LOGIC got a hold of these the sound was stunning and COMPLETELY SATISFYING. I didn't mix with them but I played plugins for hours with more joy than EVER before and I own a pair of HE-500's as my top tier phones. 

If you're a musician then you owe it to yourself to monitor with these. I am afraid to mix with them because I love them so much for monitoring that I feel I might think less of them if they mix like crap. The courage is building though. 

I also feel that these headphones like low impedance amplification. They love Iphones, Ipads and the like but when I put them on a Schiitt Asgard (1 not 2) they felt out of place. I also tried them on the headphone amp within the Anedio D2 and they did the same. Plug them into an old ipod and a PA2V2 and there was magic. But this was only with music. In music production they sounded great with every amp/dac combo I had. Go figure.

In conclusion these are my music producing monitoring headphones for now and for what seems like forever. Just stunning that way.  

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #708 of 3,345
Hi

I have a pair of HP50's on order. I have been using K545's but am not getting a good seal with my glasses on. I have searched the thread and found some posts about comfort issues but couldn't find anything about losing the seal through use with glasses. 

Anybody had any such issues?

Cheers 

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #709 of 3,345
  Hi

I have a pair of HP50's on order. I have been using K545's but am not getting a good seal with my glasses on. I have searched the thread and found some posts about comfort issues but couldn't find anything about losing the seal through use with glasses. 

Cheers 

I wear glasses and haven't had any problems with the seal. No problems in that department. (Note: I wear a thin, metal frame. Results may vary if you wear thicker frames.)

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #710 of 3,345
Thanks, sounds promising although my glasses are plastic frames and probably slightly thicker. Hopefully these will work out....don't know when Amazon will draw a line in the sand with the returns..........

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #711 of 3,345
Everyone's different so I doubt this will help anyone but after much tinkering these are my favorite EQ settings for these HP50s:

Really brings out the best in them. At least, for most tracks. Some tracks are better with just a little treble boost. I go back and forth a bit, I mostly stick with this one, though.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #712 of 3,345
  Hi

Cheers 

Hey. I wear glasses too. I did have some seal issues with my previous frame which were thicker at the sides. Really took away a lot of the bass. With my new thinner glasses its much better, though there is still a slight noticeable loss in bass response when wearing glasses. YMMV of course, especially with something as personal as fit. I'd say that these headphones are more sensitive to seal compared to other headphones i've tried.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #713 of 3,345
  I'd say that these headphones are more sensitive to seal compared to other headphones i've tried.

These are quite loose on my head, loose enough that I didn't find them practical to wear at work, since they moved around so much that I had to continually adjust them to get a good seal over my glasses. That aside, they're extremely comfortable and easy to wear.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #714 of 3,345
Hey. I wear glasses too. I did have some seal issues with my previous frame which were thicker at the sides. Really took away a lot of the bass. With my new thinner glasses its much better, though there is still a slight noticeable loss in bass response when wearing glasses. YMMV of course, especially with something as personal as fit. I'd say that these headphones are more sensitive to seal compared to other headphones i've tried.

These are quite loose on my head, loose enough that I didn't find them practical to wear at work, since they moved around so much that I had to continually adjust them to get a good seal over my glasses. That aside, they're extremely comfortable and easy to wear.

Thanks for the input. Oh well I will just need to wait and see! I've been reading a bit on here and I guess it's just a prevalent issue for some glasses wearers with closed cans....makes sense.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #715 of 3,345
Thanks for the input. Oh well I will just need to wait and see! I've been reading a bit on here and I guess it's just a prevalent issue for some glasses wearers with closed cans....makes sense.

I hadn't noticed that you said you had issues with the K545s. Those are the ones I ended up keeping at work - I leave the HP50s at home.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #716 of 3,345
OK,

I've read nothing but great reviews of this HP yet when I compared them to the PSB 1's I found them overly dark (I'm an AKG guy)

Right now I'm wondering if the store mismatched it with the amp.

Can anyone tell me if the sensitivity of both HPs are different?
Perhaps the NADs are tougher to move.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #717 of 3,345
Would used Sennie 650's be a better buy than these HP50's new as a different style of sound to planar magnetics/orthos ?

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #718 of 3,345
The HD650 has a significantly different signature from what I remember. It is darker and not as forward in the mids plus the treble is different when it comes to producing cymbals. But if you don't need closed headphones the HD650 will be more sounding. The 650 is also going to be more comfortable.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #719 of 3,345

I hadn't noticed that you said you had issues with the K545s. Those are the ones I ended up keeping at work - I leave the HP50s at home.

It is definitely less apparent om the HP50. Having tried the M50's which have a strong clamp I experience the same issues but no where near as prominent as the 545's. I guess it's just part of wearing specs! The HP50 were supremely comfortable though : )

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #720 of 3,345
The HD650 has a significantly different signature from what I remember. It is darker and not as forward in the mids plus the treble is different when it comes to producing cymbals. But if you don't need closed headphones the HD650 will be more sounding. The 650 is also going to be more comfortable.

I've never tried the HD650s, but I have the HD600s. Although they're very comfortable, I'm always aware that I'm wearing them, unlike the HP50s, which I quickly forget about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back