NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #406 of 3,345
I have been working on a review for the HP50 for a little while.  Getting the final touches on the review has taken a little while due to a few things coming up.  That said, the review posted today, but I haven't heard the HP50 for a couple months (it seems).  I still thought they sounded really great to my ears.  A warmer, smoother sound that's very linear.  Quite respectable in many ways.  Anyways, the review is here: Review: NAD VISO HP50

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #407 of 3,345
  I have been working on a review for the HP50 for a little while.  Getting the final touches on the review has taken a little while due to a few things coming up.  That said, the review posted today, but I haven't heard the HP50 for a couple months (it seems).  I still thought they sounded really great to my ears.  A warmer, smoother sound that's very linear.  Quite respectable in many ways.  Anyways, the review is here: Review: NAD VISO HP50

Nice review tinyman.    For some reason I thought you only liked IEMs. 
blink.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #408 of 3,345

Nice review tinyman.    For some reason I thought you only liked IEMs. 
blink.gif

LOL, that's originally where I started, with IEMs.  I've expanded out.  Personally, I do enjoy using over-ears during the winter months because they'll keep your ears nice and warm; they double as ear muffs XD  In the summer, I'm generally rocking IEMs.  That said, I do do the whole spectrum of headphones, on, over, and in.  But I can certainly see why someone would see why I only favor IEMs, I'm generally only in the portables section of the forums; rarely in the full-size.

Thanks for the kind words on the review though.  It's definitely appreciated :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #410 of 3,345
Would like to know if anyone has done a comparison between the HP50 vs. the Sennheiser HD600? The reason I'm asking is that I like the sound of the HD600 that's been burrowed from a friend and thinking of purchasing a pair to complement the HE-400. I like the laid back warm sound of Sennheiser and not concerned about the "veil" that people bring up once in a while. Price wise there isn't much of a difference.
What is intriguing is the room feel that Paul Barton of PSB speaker fame has incorporated into the his latest headphone.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #413 of 3,345
Would like to know if anyone has done a comparison between the HP50 vs. the Sennheiser HD600? The reason I'm asking is that I like the sound of the HD600 that's been burrowed from a friend and thinking of purchasing a pair to complement the HE-400. I like the laid back warm sound of Sennheiser and not concerned about the "veil" that people bring up once in a while. Price wise there isn't much of a difference.
What is intriguing is the room feel that Paul Barton of PSB speaker fame has incorporated into the his latest headphone.

I think it is not "apple to apple" when comparing closed to open phones.

HD600 will excel with proper amplification and more appropriate for home use.
HP50 is portable closed phones that can be driven with portable devices.

sound stage wise, they are very closed. However, properly driven HD600 are better in detail retrieval. I think you should choose according to your future usage.

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #414 of 3,345
Growlings from an older headphone user with a long experience of cans (starting from the 80s, though all the major brands).

- cheap materials
- plasticky
- not circumaural by any definition of the measure on my ears. They are On-ear for most part for me (I have medium sized ears)
- too shallow pads, the element protective fabric scratches my ear, not nice for wearing comfort
- no proper seal (for me, on my ears)
- no proper grip/pressure for me (on my mid-sized head)
- visual aesthetics (both shape/structure and materials/surface) are well, a far cry from the fine luxury of say P7 or Momentum (look like cheap plastics from China)
- too short, flimsy headphone cables
- these are apparently meant for mobile use (cable, foldability), but their sturdiness, wearing looks and isolation do not stand up to that test, imho
- compromised isolation of sounds
+ very light
+ very good sound quality, after positioning properly

Personally I*m disappointed. Having to "buy blind" (can't test-drive Nad cans where I live) I must say I was very disappointed by the size and the fact that they are not circumaural/deep in the classical sense. They are much smaller than what they appear in most images, esp. the wearable pads (not the outside of the cans).

To me the only redeeming feature is the sound quality, but wearing comfort/isolation/flimsiness/aesthetics for me leave a lot to be desired.

Really waiting for the proper, high-grade, full-size sealed circumaural cans from Barton & Olive, who are my gurus. This is NOT it.  A sore disappointment. Of course for this price, I should not have expected much more.

YMMV, of course.

My recommendation: test them, before you buy.

And yes, I'm very, very picky and I call things as I (not you, not the average person) experiences them :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #415 of 3,345
They fit me well, but I agree on the other points. They do sound great, but their appearance and build quality just leave too much to be desired. They look ginormous and square on my head, and I'm not a huge fan of the materials used.

It's okay for a headphone to be ugly, but not one that's designed to be portable and worn out. Honestly I don't see this mentioned enough about these and maybe I'm being overly critical, but the design on these given their intended use is simply unacceptable, and the choice of materials leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Sound quality vs the Momentum and P7 is a valid debate and fit is specific to the individual so each may work better for some people, but in terms of design and materials these are clearly a notch below the other two and especially the P7. Sure the P7 costs more, but it's only an extra $100 and I feel like I'm literally getting twice the headphone in terms of design and materials.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #416 of 3,345
I love the sound but a little disappointed that these phones arent meant to be walk around the streets with....esp. I already have the M4U 1 for bed side use already....so....
Anywwy, hope they will improve on the head band i think its what sticks out the most...

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #417 of 3,345
How do the NAD HP 50 compare to the M4U1 in regards to sound, comfort and build quality?

I love the sound but a little disappointed that these phones arent meant to be walk around the streets with....esp. I already have the M4U 1 for bed side use already....so....
Anywwy, hope they will improve on the head band i think its what sticks out the most...

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #418 of 3,345
How do the NAD HP 50 compare to the M4U1 in regards to sound, comfort and build quality?

sound: same SS, M4U  has a bigger sound stage (very slight) and seems to have better detail retrieval when using HM-901 as source... In a way, I like the M4U 1 better because music sounds more engaging...

Please take with grain of salt bcos I only A/B them for one hour and using one portable source...

comfort: same

build quality: same plastic-ish but sturdy

M4U 1 design is a bit "unique" because from the look of it, you would not expect them as "audiophile neutral" sounding phones.....

The reason of getting HP50 is to get that M4U 1 sound on the go.... but the headband really sticks out too much and looks weird on the head... (just my personal feelings).

I will send them for balance mod and upgrade better cable after the holidays.... (not sure if it is possible yet, fingers crossed) I am hoping it will become less "polite" and more engaging...

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #419 of 3,345
Oh my, complaints, complaints, complaints. Finally a headphone that is affordable and sounds great. I buy on sound quality everytime. If they made these to look better and used carbon fiber, then you would complain that they cost too much. These headphones are great and in my opinion trounce the new B & W P7  headphones is sound quality.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #420 of 3,345
Nobody really complained about the price of the P7, and nobody is asking that they make them out of carbon fiber. Hell, make them out of the same plastic just make them with a better design, that doesn't cost a thing.

I don't agree that they trounce the P7, each headphone has advantages and it comes down to which sound signature you prefer. The more I listen to the HP50 actually the less I like it, but it's still a very good headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back