NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Dec 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #421 of 3,345

sound: same SS, M4U  has a bigger sound stage (very slight) and seems to have better detail retrieval when using HM-901 as source... In a way, I like the M4U 1 better because music sounds more engaging...

Please take with grain of salt bcos I only A/B them for one hour and using one portable source...

comfort: same

build quality: same plastic-ish but sturdy

M4U 1 design is a bit "unique" because from the look of it, you would not expect them as "audiophile neutral" sounding phones.....

The reason of getting HP50 is to get that M4U 1 sound on the go.... but the headband really sticks out too much and looks weird on the head... (just my personal feelings).

I will send them for balance mod and upgrade better cable after the holidays.... (not sure if it is possible yet, fingers crossed) I am hoping it will become less "polite" and more engaging...

Are the HP50 now available in HK?

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #423 of 3,345
I couldn't get into the P7 sound.  The mids just seemed super recessed to me.  Build-wise, the P7 is clearly a lot more luxurious.  B&W has that down pat as does B&O and Philips (believe it or not) just to name a couple.

Sound is going to come down to personal preference.  I know Tyll over at innerfidelity.com loves the NAD HP50 and I seem to like everything he likes so I'm really interested in these and the whole entire room feel experience.

Keep those reviews and impressions coming in.  

I actually might take a side trip to World Wide Stereo to demo the HP50 this weekend while on my holiday ski trip in PA this weekend!  Will throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth if I get a chance to listen to them.

(supposed to rain this weekend so will probably not be able to ski :p)

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #424 of 3,345
If it matters WWstereo has a Music Hall 25.2 (?) tubed amp for the headphone area and an iPad in a dock, so if that's not what you want as a demo system, maybe bring your own source / amp too. Just FYI. They're pretty low key about it too.
And yeah, high of 60 on Sunday means no snow.
If you get totally rained out, I can also recommend Overture Audio in Wilmington. Super high end, but pretty welcoming, just to try some crazy expensive stuff. No idea what headphones they carry.
Good luck.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #425 of 3,345
If it matters WWstereo has a Music Hall 25.2 (?) tubed amp for the headphone area and an iPad in a dock, so if that's not what you want as a demo system, maybe bring your own source / amp too. Just FYI. They're pretty low key about it too.
And yeah, high of 60 on Sunday means no snow.
If you get totally rained out, I can also recommend Overture Audio in Wilmington. Super high end, but pretty welcoming, just to try some crazy expensive stuff. No idea what headphones they carry.
Good luck.

I always bring my own source and amp/dac!  
biggrin.gif

Looking at the map, it's 4 hours 1 way from 7 Springs to WWstereo.....  Hmmmm.....

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #426 of 3,345
The HP50's are among the best closed headphones I've heard in this price range,
I also find them to be very comfortable, with thick, soft earpads which seal quite well.

(makes me think that perhaps something is wrong
with the set described above in the post by "halcyon")

And when I bought them, with one look I knew I'd never be wearing them outdoors

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #427 of 3,345
  The HP50's are among the best closed headphones I've heard in this price range,
I also find them to be very comfortable, with thick, soft earpads which seal quite well.

(makes me think that perhaps something is wrong
with the set described above in the post by "halcyon")

And when I bought them, with one look I knew I'd never be wearing them outdoors

Why?  Who cares?  As long as it sounds good  Don't be petty!!

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #430 of 3,345
Not yet. I got a friend to buy in U.S. According to the last info I received, it should be tomorrow....
oh well i guess i won't be trying them out until next year...

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #431 of 3,345
I am trying to find better than my AKG k550 which lacks a bit of punch and warmth. So I tried the Nad Viso... but I did not like. I understand however why some people can love it; but the sound is really VERY special. To my taste it is too warm (it reminds me very much the focal I do not like) and especially soundtage does not sound natural to me, I did not recognize my music ! I will try the momentum now...

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #434 of 3,345
Thanx both, I take note of this. Very appreciated. The k545 especially may interest me (circum).
The Beyer DT1350 semms interesting too... but having tried the Shure 940 I fear headphones Studio (too tiring).

I read that the momentum is just a little warm (and it seems ok when I see the freq at Headroom, compared to the Focal for example). I will receive it  tomorow !

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #435 of 3,345
I am trying to find better than my AKG k550 which lacks a bit of punch and warmth. So I tried the Nad Viso... but I did not like. I understand however why some people can love it; but the sound is really VERY special. To my taste it is too warm (it reminds me very much the focal I do not like) and especially soundtage does not sound natural to me, I did not recognize my music ! I will try the momentum now...

Definitely take a look at the K545 and read the main thread, I just added an HP50 comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back