NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #391 of 3,345
So I found Sennheiser Momentums online cheaper than NAD HP50. Damn. Too hard choices. I really like looks of NAD HP50, but I can't listen to them anywhere. I do have one Sennheiser headphones already and I really like them. Not that I can compare them to these.  I would really really like to get NAD HP50, but these Momentums are just way too cheap to pass by. 

Argh. What to do.. what to do..

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #393 of 3,345
How much warmer HP50 is compared to Momentums? I have warm speakers and I constantly find myself wanting to get rid of them. I also have HD598 which I find quite enjoyable but sometimes I wish they would be little warmer. I would like that my second headphones would be little warmer but not too much.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #395 of 3,345
  So I found Sennheiser Momentums online cheaper than NAD HP50. Damn. Too hard choices. I really like looks of NAD HP50, but I can't listen to them anywhere. I do have one Sennheiser headphones already and I really like them. Not that I can compare them to these.  I would really really like to get NAD HP50, but these Momentums are just way too cheap to pass by. 

Argh. What to do.. what to do..

Owning both, I agree it's a very tough decision (thus I own both...:wink:)

If you like the looks of Hp50 then that's an easy decision as they sound better overall than the Momentum, though they are a bit more laid back.

With respect to "sound[ing] better overall", I'm not entirely sure.  Depends on the type of music, and the production.
I do agree that the HP-50's are more "laid back" - at the expense of some fine inner detail IMO.
Despite their odd shape, they're very comfortable (helped especially by the thick earpads).
They happen to be very good headphones. 

How much warmer HP50 is compared to Momentums? I have warm speakers and I constantly find myself wanting to get rid of them. I also have HD598 which I find quite enjoyable but sometimes I wish they would be little warmer. I would like that my second headphones would be little warmer but not too much.

Not sure how to quantify the amount of warmness - I reckon that if you want headphones that are warmer than the HD598's,
and you like the look of the HP50's, you should buy the HP50's. 

IMO you should not buy the Momentum's simply because they're available for a great price -
unless it's a business decision and you're buying them for immediate resale.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #396 of 3,345
Not too much information on these cans on the web despite their jaw dropping praise from Innerfidelity. How do these cans compare to the Denon series cans (I know already that they isolate more and leak less)? I know they are slightly different since they are fully sealed while the Denons are vented/semi-open, but in terms of soundstage, imaging, and detail (let's forget really subjective stuff like bass, mids etc) how do these guys stack up to the D2k/5k/7k?

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #397 of 3,345
Thanks for all the help! I just ordered NAD Viso HP50 Red. I felt that Momentums are boring and "safe" choice. I wanted something new and exciting. I did on another hand persuaded my gf to order Sennheiser Momentun on ear version. She has used only some cheap or bad headphones like Urbanears for the looks of the headphone. Once she saw me browsing for Momentums she fell in love with the looks of the black version. She didn't want over ear version because she has never used ones and she might be little claustrophobic. Also on ears are much much cheaper. Well, on ear versions are also really good headphones and definitely improvement over her old ones. 

Hopefully my NAD's will come this week. I am really looking forward for new experiences with these cans. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #398 of 3,345
I have been using the HP50 with the Schiit Vali and the sound is heavenly..

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #399 of 3,345
Well I decided to return the NADs and spend an extra 100 bucks on the P7 because I crave a little more bass. Plus, I'm a little upset at the construction of the 'phones–the metallic band that slots into the ear cup on the right side was slightly bent and nicked at the bottom.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #401 of 3,345
  Could any ATH-M50 owners offer a comparison of those headphones with the HP50?  Like many HeadFiers, the M50s were my gateway to HeadFidom and I'm now considering upgrading.  

I have not listened to the M50 for some time, but from memory, the HP50 just does everything better across the range including a bigger soundstage and comfort.  IMO, the HP50 is absolutely a worthy upgrade.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #402 of 3,345
Bought a pair today. HP50 in black. Definitely the best of the closed headphones I tried at the store (I also go to Worldwide Stereo near Philly) vs P7 and M4U1, but maybe less crisp than HD650's. But I need closed phones for the train.
In testing at home against TH900 (ok 5x the price) I had a little buyers regret on the NADs, because they seem less accurate but it's only on certain songs and isn't that why we own more than one headphone? :wink:

Setup: MacBook or iphone4s to Resonessence Herus and sometimes a JDS bbCmoy

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #403 of 3,345
I'm selling mine in the classifieds, sound signature doesn't really work for me. Bit too laid-back and bass-lacking for me.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #404 of 3,345
Bought a pair today. HP50 in black. Definitely the best of the closed headphones I tried at the store (I also go to Worldwide Stereo near Philly) vs P7 and M4U1, but maybe less crisp than HD650's. But I need closed phones for the train.
In testing at home against TH900 (ok 5x the price) I had a little buyers regret on the NADs, because they seem less accurate but it's only on certain songs and isn't that why we own more than one headphone?
wink.gif

Setup: MacBook or iphone4s to Resonessence Herus and sometimes a JDS bbCmoy

I'm pretty sure any 'buyer's regret' will vanish if you upgrade your amp (doesn't have
to be too big of an upgrade).  Assuming you're using a good soundcard and sourcing
from lossless files.  I'm finding that these headphones like power, and are demanding of
high quality input.  

(Not saying that they're as good as the TH900 or HD650 but at their price they're
excellent closed headphones and with the amp upgrade you'll really enjoy them.)

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #405 of 3,345
I've had the HP50's now since Nov 5 2013, it's now December 16th.
I live in Calgary, AB but had to drive to Edmonton to purchase mine, nobody in town is carrying them.
In a nutshell, I'm crazy about "British" Sound. It's flat, accurate and never sounds strained.

I have a pair of Grado SR 60's which I bought just to keep the neighbours off my back at night and a superb pair of Shure SE535's.
Those are a significant bit pricier than the NADS.

In a word?
These don't sound anything like and American Headphone.
At all.
They open up a 'room' like nothing I've ever heard.
Imaging isn't so much IN your head as it is all around it.

They are uncanny. Pun intended.
I compared them, QUICKLY, to the KEF M500's back and forth over and over again and these feel, fit and sound very different.
The KEF's fall off your head if you tip it forward.
These don't.
I found the NADS dug about a teaspoon more detail out than the the KEFS but the fact that they were sealed, superb and would stay on your noggin' settled the decision, for me.
I bought them based on this REVIEW, that I'd only read the night before.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Cheers,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back