NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Dec 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #361 of 3,345
  Would these be good for Blues Rock (kenny wayne shepard ) to classic rock (pink floyd ) to modern rock seether stone sour etc
wanting a good pair of over ear these seem to fit the bill just worried sound wise since I have no place to audition them

thanks for any input

I haven't encounter a genre I did not like listening in HP50. Just tried Pink Floyd, imho, it sounds fantastic. Instrument separation is excellent. I had no place to audition them either and got them on blind faith. So far, it's been 3 weeks, I'm not disappointed - this is the best closed headphone for me.

I always thought I like analytic sound, these are not analytic at all, they are a listener not a mixer headphone, probably because of that RoomFeel, but I still love them.
While writing this "Main Theme" from Pink Floyd started playing - they are fantastic - both: PinkFloyd and HP50.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #362 of 3,345
  Erm, there's another thing i should've mentioned: the jacks on the headphones are recessed - this means that the plug on the cables that you buy needs to be slim, in order to fit into the recessed jack properly. The cable you linked there will likely not fit, as the body of the plug is thick.

I don't really know which specific cables will fit, maybe someone else here can give some suggestions? some possible candidates are the v-moda cables.

I dont think it should be a deal-breaker for you though, in any case you could just use a common extension with the included cable. Something like this -

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-13787-Female-Extension/dp/B00007FGU7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385980098&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+extension

I'll probably just go the safe route and get an extension cable, thanks!

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #363 of 3,345
  Would these be good for Blues Rock (kenny wayne shepard ) to classic rock (pink floyd ) to modern rock seether stone sour etc
wanting a good pair of over ear these seem to fit the bill just worried sound wise since I have no place to audition them

thanks for any input

Yes, I consider the classic rock presentation to be a strength of these headphones.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #364 of 3,345

I had this exact same problem with the left side of my headphones. Its a small defect, but can be majorly annoying. The headband extension would shorten/retract by itself every time you tried to put the headphones on, which meant re-adjustment every single time you put it on your head. This was a bit too much for me, so I went back to the store and they were nice enough to exchange another pair for me. I thought I got really unlucky, but perhaps this problem may be more common than i thought..?

On my second pair the rotating mechanism on the right side doesn't feel as tight as the one on the left. This doesn't give me any problems, but I think we should expect better fit and finish for a $300 pair of headphones.

My advice to anyone getting these headphones is to check the locking mechanism for the headband adjustment when you buy these, and make sure that they stay in place. (this is if you buy at a brick-and-mortar store).

Sometimes that isn't possible, i.e. buying from amazon. I'll be returning and possibly exchanging my pair but I'm not amused that it's starting to sound like a dice roll. I can understand the decision from an aesthetic standpoint but it's still rather irksome.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #366 of 3,345
Is there any reason to get these cans if I will only use them at home? I was originally going to get Akg K-550, Bayerdynamic DT 770 Pro or ATH-M50. All of these are about 150e. Then I noticed fantastic reviews that HP50 has received. They are 250e here so they are one price level higher.
I already have Sennheiser HD 598 which I like very much. I need closed cans because sometimes my gf does something disturbing like talk on skype for hours. I need headphones for general purpose. I would watch movies, play games and listen to music. I would not mind if cans had little more bass than my 598 so I would have two little different types of headphones but not too different ones.

Would HP50 fill these requirements or should I look another headphones on this price category as I don't need portability. Maybe even take ones from lower price category?

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #367 of 3,345
Is there any reason to get these cans if I will only use them at home?

I use them at home exclusively..

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #368 of 3,345
Is there any reason to get these cans if I will only use them at home? I was originally going to get Akg K-550, Bayerdynamic DT 770 Pro or ATH-M50. All of these are about 150e. Then I noticed fantastic reviews that HP50 has received. They are 250e here so they are one price level higher.
I already have Sennheiser HD 598 which I like very much. I need closed cans because sometimes my gf does something disturbing like talk on skype for hours. I need headphones for general purpose. I would watch movies, play games and listen to music. I would not mind if cans had little more bass than my 598 so I would have two little different types of headphones but not too different ones.

Would HP50 fill these requirements or should I look another headphones on this price category as I don't need portability. Maybe even take ones from lower price category?

If portability isn't an issue, have you considered the Audio Technica ATH A900x. They may have some fitting issues but I think you would enjoy them. I think they are more comfortable than the HP50's and since you only use them at home, they would probably be better. Best to demo them before buying though as the headband system doesn't fit everyone.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #369 of 3,345
The same as SSG1. Need closed headphones for using at home and not disturbing (and not be diturbed by) family.
Now I am using Senn HD 570 and (not enough good for me AKG K430). As source I am using Iphone 5 ALAC files with external headphone amp.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #370 of 3,345
  If portability isn't an issue, have you considered the Audio Technica ATH A900x. 

Yes. When I was buying my HD 598 I considered getting ATH A900x, but the availability was absurdly bad at the time here on Europe so I ended getting open cans. Some stores sell A900x for whopping 400 euros even now. I doubt there is any local stores where I could test the fit of these headphones. I even doubt that there is store in my country which sells these. I noticed that amazon.co.uk has some retailers who sell these ATH-A900X Japan imports for reasonable price. 

I did some digging and I could not find store that sells any another Audio Technica headphones than ATH-M50. I could only find 500, 700 and 900 -series(or should I say AD an A-series) on few online stores. This is kinda weird. I guess I have to go and visit all local stores in hope of finding at least some Audio Technica headphones with wing system. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #371 of 3,345
I like my B&W P7. Most of the time. But isolation is not what I would like it to be during my daily commute. Trains can be very loud in Berlin, Germany and when the music is at lower volumes I can hear people talking. due to the not perfect isolation I am losing bass in louder environments and the music doesn't sound as full as it is supposed to.

I am tempted to test the HP50 now for those reason. just four questions.

1. how do you experience the hp50s isolation in a city environment?
2. how much does it isolate with no music played?
3. how is leakage for you? I read about massive leakage from one user a few pages back in this thread but it was never mentioned by anybody else.
4. do you feel comfortable with the looks of the hp50 when you are outside? the squarish is not very sexy to me. but while it is not stylish I at least doesn't want it to look eyecatching ugly. opinions on that are appreciated.

best regards and thanks to all hp50 users.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #372 of 3,345
  4. do you feel comfortable with the looks of the hp50 when you are outside? the squarish is not very sexy to me. but while it is not stylish I at least doesn't want it to look eyecatching ugly. opinions on that are appreciated.

This is one of the big reasons why I opted to get the P7s over the HP50s. I'm not one to sacrifice sound in favour of looks, but as soon as I put the HP50s on my head I knew I wasn't going to be completely comfortable wearing them in public, which isn't really what you want to feel about a portable headphone. That and the more energetic treble made the P7s an easy choice for me. Nevertheless it could still be worth trying them, you might feel differently :)

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #373 of 3,345
Recent HP50 owner here. They're pretty darn incredible.

But I need to ask something since I might be fixating too much; can anyone else notice the stitching on the earpads that connects the foam to the bottom oval? They look a teensy more exposed on my right earcup.

The pads aren't replaceable so it'd be nice to know if it's not unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back