NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Nov 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #346 of 3,345
  I just got my HP50's today and may I say it sounds absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately I don't own any other headphones of similar type to do a comparison so I won't comment on the sound (I like it and that's all that matters 
biggrin.gif
)

Comfort wise, I believe they are excellent. They fit me rather well, the earpad size is fine and also its nice and soft, it's quite light and the headband is comfortable although there is a slight yet concentrated pressure at the top of my head (this may not go well with some people). Build quality wise they feel quite sturdy, the fit adjustment for the headband worked perfectly on mine.

For my first full sized headphone, they are awesome. Great for metal music. 

Congrats on a great first choice!

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #349 of 3,345
folks, anyone knows where to get these in St Louis? My friend is in the states and she can help me to get these... really cant wait for the local release.... please....

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #350 of 3,345
Thinking of getting these as my first nice set of closed headphones (need for college). Is the soundstage on these adequate for gaming? I've also read some complaints of the cord length, how long is it? I'd mostly be using it in my dorm with the cord wrapped around my monitor going behind the desk.

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #352 of 3,345
I ordered the new NAD VISO HP50 and also an open can (HiFiMAN HE-400) as my 2 new and first (serious) full sized headphones.

Somehow I couldn't find any specs on the NAD. To they need amping or at least profit from it?
How are they straight from an iPod, Android phone, DAP etc..

Thanks

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #353 of 3,345
They dont need amping. Portable headphones in general dont need amping. Sometimes it may make sense because your can - like the L1 - is without amping just not loud enough. With the NAD you can easily reach volumes that emulate Motörhead live concerts.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #354 of 3,345
  I ordered the new NAD VISO HP50 and also an open can (HiFiMAN HE-400) as my 2 new and first (serious) full sized headphones.

Somehow I couldn't find any specs on the NAD. To they need amping or at least profit from it?
How are they straight from an iPod, Android phone, DAP etc..

Thanks

They are easy to drive and sound just fine from an Iphone.  As with most headphones, they will benefit from an amp, but it is not needed for listening volume.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #355 of 3,345
Thanks for the answers. I made my choice after a lot of research here, and the innerfidelity wall of fame. 
It looks like I choose a closed can that sounds like an open one (is this true at all in your opinion?), and an open can that sound like a closed one lool

I got a feeling that in the end ill prefer the Grado Sr80i from alessandro that are on their way also

We will see :)

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #356 of 3,345
  Thinking of getting these as my first nice set of closed headphones (need for college). Is the soundstage on these adequate for gaming? I've also read some complaints of the cord length, how long is it? I'd mostly be using it in my dorm with the cord wrapped around my monitor going behind the desk.

The cable without the remote is about 115cm, which is really incredibly short. You won't be able to wrap it round your monitor without having your face against the screen hehe. You'll need to get an extension cable, or just swap out the stock ones. Their cable terminates in a standard 3.5mm plug on the headphone side.

Only had them for a day so I can't give definitive comments about the soundstage yet.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #357 of 3,345

The cable without the remote is about 115cm, which is really incredibly short. You won't be able to wrap it round your monitor without having your face against the screen hehe. You'll need to get an extension cable, or just swap out the stock ones. Their cable terminates in a standard 3.5mm plug on the headphone side.

Only had them for a day so I can't give definitive comments about the soundstage yet.

Thanks. So if I were to buy them for a desktop set up I should get one of these?:

http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Tabtronics-Capacitive-Tablets-DURAGADGET/dp/B005VDYVOM/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1385961630&sr=8-33&keywords=double+ended+headphone+jack

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #358 of 3,345

Erm, there's another thing i should've mentioned: the jacks on the headphones are recessed - this means that the plug on the cables that you buy needs to be slim, in order to fit into the recessed jack properly. The cable you linked there will likely not fit, as the body of the plug is thick.

I don't really know which specific cables will fit, maybe someone else here can give some suggestions? some possible candidates are the v-moda cables.

I dont think it should be a deal-breaker for you though, in any case you could just use a common extension with the included cable. Something like this -

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-13787-Female-Extension/dp/B00007FGU7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385980098&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+extension

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #359 of 3,345
  While the accessories are very thorough, the build quality doesn't quite live up to the same bar from what I can tell. The locking mechanism for fit adjustment seems to be susceptible to manufacturing variations; the right cup seems to want to retract on its own randomly. It happens consistently, so I assume the spring that is inside the headband is loose or something to this effect.

I had this exact same problem with the left side of my headphones. Its a small defect, but can be majorly annoying. The headband extension would shorten/retract by itself every time you tried to put the headphones on, which meant re-adjustment every single time you put it on your head. This was a bit too much for me, so I went back to the store and they were nice enough to exchange another pair for me. I thought I got really unlucky, but perhaps this problem may be more common than i thought..?

On my second pair the rotating mechanism on the right side doesn't feel as tight as the one on the left. This doesn't give me any problems, but I think we should expect better fit and finish for a $300 pair of headphones.

My advice to anyone getting these headphones is to check the locking mechanism for the headband adjustment when you buy these, and make sure that they stay in place. (this is if you buy at a brick-and-mortar store).

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #360 of 3,345
Would these be good for Blues Rock (kenny wayne shepard ) to classic rock (pink floyd ) to modern rock seether stone sour etc
wanting a good pair of over ear these seem to fit the bill just worried sound wise since I have no place to audition them

thanks for any input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back