NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Apr 30, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #2,011 of 3,345
After a few weeks of regular use, one of the cups on my HP50s started creaking. I almost sent them back, but then I listened to something and swooned, and decided I had to try to fix the problem before giving them up. That sound is just too. Damn. Good.

Anyway, I just took n05ey's advice and opened my hp50s (very easy, btw, if you're contemplating doing the same). In addition to adding the blutack and applying a little grease (I used some three in one chain oil from my bike, applied with a qtip), I noticed that three of the four screws attaching the headband to the cups were loose. On the side that was creaking, they were actually REALLY loose. No idea if there's a design flaw (screw attaching plastic to metal?) or if they just weren't assembled tightly, but I cranked them all down hard before putting the things back together.

Lo and behold, not only is the creak ENTIRELY gone, but the headphones feel noticeably more "solid" and tight. The blu tack is definitely a huge help, but I think tightening the screws was also critical.

Total process took less than an hour, and only required a small phillips head, some blu tack, some grease, and a couple qtips. Really glad I checked the forum before returning them!

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2,012 of 3,345
Where did you add the blutak and grease?

I tightened the screws you are talking about and it significantly reduced my creaking, enough that it doesn't creak at all when I move my head, just when I take them off and move the cups around. Easy fix!

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #2,013 of 3,345
Sladeophile: in an earlier post, n05ey described the blutack points and included a picture. Basically you put them on top of the sides of the hinge mechanism, where the metal runs out of the plastic barrel (this is also the place you'd apply grease). Done correctly, the inner cover piece, when reattached, will press down onto the blutack (I actually had to smush it down by pressing with my thumb on the inner cover directly over the blutack). This creates a nice tight connection between the two pieces, which seems to really reduce creakiness.

May 1, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2,014 of 3,345
For those of us having slight issues with the NAD HP50 (hurts on top of our head), try the PSB M4U 1. Very very similar SQ, with the PSB having a VERY SLIGHTLY more sibilance and sparkle. This will fit larger heads more and much more comfortable on top of the head. No painful pressure on top of head after a while.

May 2, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,015 of 3,345
For those of us having slight issues with the NAD HP50 (hurts on top of our head), try the PSB M4U 1. Very very similar SQ, with the PSB having a VERY SLIGHTLY more sibilance and sparkle. This will fit larger heads more and much more comfortable on top of the head. No painful pressure on top of head after a while.

Sadly the m4u1 did not fit my head either, I found it about the same as the hp50 with the earcups not quite extending far enough.

May 2, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2,016 of 3,345
Have really enjoyed the NAD sound but the comfort and fit are lacking compared to other similar priced headphones.  Albeit a small concern, it is difficult to enjoy a headphone when they pinch or cause headaches.  I would urge a higher price point headphone with more adjustment but same sound.  

May 3, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2,017 of 3,345
Sadly the m4u1 did not fit my head either, I found it about the same as the hp50 with the earcups not quite extending far enough.

My M4U1 extends a bit farther than the HP50, though the difference with HP50 is admittedly small, but enough to fit/reach my whole ears. Ans the M4U1's headband is very comfy on top of my head, never caused me any pain nor pressure.

Have really enjoyed the NAD sound but the comfort and fit are lacking compared to other similar priced headphones.  Albeit a small concern, it is difficult to enjoy a headphone when they pinch or cause headaches.  I would urge a higher price point headphone with more adjustment but same sound.  
Yup, your the nth poster clamoring for that. I think the same SQ for improved ergonomics even for $100-150 is ok. To me the SQ is that good.

May 3, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #2,018 of 3,345
My M4U1 extends a bit farther than the HP50, though the difference with HP50 is admittedly small, but enough to fit/reach my whole ears. Ans the M4U1's headband is very comfy on top of my head, never caused me any pain nor pressure.
Yup, your the nth poster clamoring for that. I think the same SQ for improved ergonomics even for $100-150 is ok. To me the SQ is that good.

Where the hp50 headband was too flat at the top the m4u1 felt a bit too curved, a lot of the headband was in contact with my head and i found the actual pading used on it to be quite uncomfortable when i tried to pull the cups down in an attempt to cover my ears. Heres hoping Paul Bartons upcoming higher end headphones cater for people with large heads.

May 6, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #2,019 of 3,345
Is there a way to disassemble the headband without destroying the leather part or connections?

I have read the post where one head-fier replaced the headband but actually because the original was broke. He didn't explain how he disassembled it.

May 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,020 of 3,345
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some comparisons and impressions of the HP50 versus of few other headphones on my list.

First, I just got rid of a pair of SoundMagic HP150s.  Very detailed sound, *great* sub bass, but a little thin, and extremely bright for my taste.  Some EQ tamed a lot of these things, but I found myself not liking numerous songs that have little bass, or lots of highs as the SoundMagics made them seem harsh, overly bright, and sometimes kinda painful.  Then the SoundMagics *broke*; so now I'm after new headphones.

I want a sound that is pleasing, but detailed.  Something sort of like the sound of an electrostatic *speaker*.  Good instrument separation is important to me.  I guess "natural and real" are what I'm after more or less.  I would normally describe this sound as "warm", but I've been told that means extra bass, which isn't necessarily what I'm after, but I *do* like sub bass.

I'm considering a pair of Mad Dogs, the NAD HP50s, maybe another set of SoundMagics, and anything else in this price range that would suit me.  From what I've read, the NAD HP50 is probably nearly exactly what I'm after.  I wonder how the sound of the Mad Dog compares?

Thanks for any opinions. 

Brian.

May 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,021 of 3,345
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some comparisons and impressions of the HP50 versus of few other headphones on my list.

First, I just got rid of a pair of SoundMagic HP150s.  Very detailed sound, *great* sub bass, but a little thin, and extremely bright for my taste.  Some EQ tamed a lot of these things, but I found myself not liking numerous songs that have little bass, or lots of highs as the SoundMagics made them seem harsh, overly bright, and sometimes kinda painful.  Then the SoundMagics *broke*; so now I'm after new headphones.

I want a sound that is pleasing, but detailed.  Something sort of like the sound of an electrostatic *speaker*.  Good instrument separation is important to me.  I guess "natural and real" are what I'm after more or less.  I would normally describe this sound as "warm", but I've been told that means extra bass, which isn't necessarily what I'm after, but I *do* like sub bass.

I'm considering a pair of Mad Dogs, the NAD HP50s, maybe another set of SoundMagics, and anything else in this price range that would suit me.  From what I've read, the NAD HP50 is probably nearly exactly what I'm after.  I wonder how the sound of the Mad Dog compares?

Thanks for any opinions. 

Brian.

Aside from the HP50, I also suggest its brother PSB M4U 1.

May 17, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #2,022 of 3,345
  Hi all,

Thanks for any opinions. 

Brian.

I'd also be interested in a comparison like this.

FYI, MrSpeakers is discontinuing the Mad Dogs, so if you want a pair, better jump soon. They're being sold at a discount at the moment, though currently out of stock. More are said to be available soon. Check this link.

May 18, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2,023 of 3,345
Although I don't have experience with the other 'phones on your list, I have to say from my experience with the HP50's that they fulfill your listed requirements perfectly. The NAD isn't bright sounding - however I've never felt like its rolled off either - things like cymbals have plenty of shimmer. The bass definitely goes low and is anything but one-note or bloated. I've seen measurements of the NAD's spectral decay, and it is very quick and clean - lending a clarity to its musical presentation that is sort of electrostat-like.  I didn't buy the NAD's thinking they were going to be my end-game phone, but after living with them for the last 8 months I'm reluctant to even consider trying to replace them - at least with anything close to their price-range.

May 18, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #2,024 of 3,345
  Hi all,

Thanks for any opinions. 

Brian.

The HP50s sound really good. But because they are not open backed, the soundstage is a little closed in and not as airy as most open backs. But, you will probably have to pay more than what the NAD costs for better sound. They NADs are definitely on the warm side, slightly darker than neutral, but a very smooth and pleasant sound. The other thing to consider is that many people don't like the fit of the NADs and some complain that they creak. For me, while they are definitely not as comfortable as many headphones, I can wear them for hours without problem, but I need to find the perfect position on my head (not hard to do). They only creak for me if I open my mouth really wide. Since you don't mention amping... but these don't need a special amp, they will sound great out of a phone. If you want something for indoors, driven by a nice amp, I think the Senn HD600s are also worthy of your consideration based on what you asked for. Better build quality and sound in IMHO. 

May 18, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #2,025 of 3,345
  Although I don't have experience with the other 'phones on your list, I have to say from my experience with the HP50's that they fulfill your listed requirements perfectly. The NAD isn't bright sounding - however I've never felt like its rolled off either - things like cymbals have plenty of shimmer. The bass definitely goes low and is anything but one-note or bloated. I've seen measurements of the NAD's spectral decay, and it is very quick and clean - lending a clarity to its musical presentation that is sort of electrostat-like.  I didn't buy the NAD's thinking they were going to be my end-game phone, but after living with them for the last 8 months I'm reluctant to even consider trying to replace them - at least with anything close to their price-range.

I love my NADs as well BUT I do have a closed-back headphone that I know of which does beat the NAD at near the price.
Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs for $300 or so is crazy value. Sadly, I'll say it beats the NADs in all ways. However, I do use the NADs outside of my house at places such as at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back