NAD D1050 DAC and headphone amplifier
Apr 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #32 of 123
Does anyone know if Nad D1050 can be modded to accept I2S input directly? I've got a Gustard U12 that can output I2S from its HDMI port. I wonder if my Nad D1050 can be easily made to accept I2S data.

May 7, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #34 of 123
  Having it since yesterday... so I guess burn in will take a while?!
Currently comparing it with my two weeks old Audio-GD NFB 15 with Sennheiser HD-700.

This is a tough one!

I would be curious to read your impressions, after you've had some time with the NAD D 1050. I love mine...

May 7, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #35 of 123
Hi guys

I have a D1050 and Beyerdynamic T90. My setup is:

Foobar2000 (flac) -> D1050 -> T90

The Beyerdynamic T90 is bright and accurate, bass light (as for my taste). I am interested in pairing with warm sounding amp, which will tame the treble and add a little bit of bass. From what I hear the T90 should pair well with tube amps, and I am considering Crack, LaFIgaro, V200, Valhalla etc.

The question now is: how warm is my built-in D1050 amp already.People say it is warm, and I can definitely hear that it is not as neutral as O2/ODAC, but how big will be difference between D1050 and those other good tube amps?

And, generally, does it make sense to upgrade the amp, or the amp in D1050 is good enough for this setup? My plan was to keep D1050 solely as a DAC (as I understood, the DAC is very good, amp is an addition but performs really well), and in the future if I will want VERY good DAC; I can use D1050 in my TV setup.

Question again: how much improvement in my setup can I expect with change to:

Foobar2000 (flac) -> D1050(DAC) -> Crack/Valhalla/Lyr/LaFigaro339/ViolectricV200 -> T90

May 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #37 of 123
After about 10hrs of intensive comparison between the Audio-GD NFB 15 and the NAD D1050 (both connected via USB to my Windows PC) with Sennheiser HD-700.... find my conclusion below.

[size=17.0300006866455px]Test Setup:[/size]
The Audio-GD has now about 200hrs burn in, filters left on standard. Standard USB cable that came along, and a rather entry level Isotek Power chord.
As the NAD came without an USB cable (!) i got myself a cheap In-Akustiv 'premium' USB cable (2m) from amazon for 10,-€.
NAD burn-in now about 100hrs.

Setlist for this test contained Vocal Jazz, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Electronic -  from 70's up to today - and some Classical music (orchester/piano concert)
Sound quality varied from 16/44 to 24/192.

[size=17.0300006866455px]Sound Verdict NAD D1050 versus Audio GD NFB-15 (2014)[/size]
The NAD is somewhat smoother, more laid back, has a notch more bass, and less harsh vocals - although hissing is about the same level.
Everything sounds to me a lot more pleasant with the NAD, voices have the sparkle in them I was missing with the AUDIO-GD.  
The instruments are more integrated and they sound together... as with the Audio-GD 15 they seem to play all for themselves...
The NAD also leaves a better rhythmic impression - and listening is more fun.
With the AUDIO-GD I had always the feeling of an analytic session was occuring, it was a bit boring and could get strenous; I could not let myself get lost in the music, as single instruments are so prominently audible. 

The Audio-GD is a very very good DAC that shows its capability of producing detail every second - but it sounds to me a bit more digital. For sound analysts and people who care much for hearing every single detail of every instrument/voice, this is the choice. The soundstage feels to me a bit norrow due to this reason.

The NAD offers the same level of detail, just does not pronounce it so prominently and has a warmer, smoother sound. Voices are more pleasant.

Always keep in mind that this test was executed with a Sennheiser HD-700 only, and that I have a liking for 'british sound' (Musical Fidelity, Rega, ...).

I guess that when using  'warmer' cans, the Audio-GD might sound quite different and maybe less strenous.

[size=17.0300006866455px]Hardware Verdict NAD D1050[/size]

Negative NAD:

1. 3,5mm headphone jack of the NAD (listening at home with mobile headphones????
  2. Plasticky case with the fingerprint addictive glossy plastic and the matte plastic equally easily dirty
  3. Ridicoulously cheap gummi-stickers instead of solid feet for the case
  4. Wobbly volume knob which is also so sensitive that you have to turn it round and round and round for larger adjustments
  5. No volume indicator
  6. No remote control included
  7. No USB cable included
  8. Only external 5V PowerSupply included which has to be assembled (insert the plug for your region in to the power supply - fiddly!)
  9. Ticking when switching between resolutions
  10. 1-2 seconds pause when switching between resolutions 

Positive NAD:

1. Remote controllable - old logitech harmony 885 works good added 'amp' NAD 3020. 
  2. Multiple digital inputs allows integration in home audio system (lack of HDMI though)
  3. Analogue outputs RCA and balanced give it a wider range of usability

[size=17.0300006866455px]Overall Verdict[/size]

The NAD D1050 wins in my test/setup over the Audio-GD NFB 15.

The Audio-GD NFB-15 is a very solid build device and I am very confident that it will hold up to it's 10 years warranty. It is very fast, produced lots of detail, and looks very professional. The
switches look a bit awkward but are very solid and give a nice feedback. The volume know has an indicator, and the device has a pretty strong inbuild power supply that leaves room for modding with after-market power chords.

I don't like the NAD D1050's case, the 3,5mm headphone jack and the wobbly volume knob. But the sound is more pleasant to me - which is the most important reason for me. The remote controllabilty is also a big plus, and with the analogue outputs that make it more versatile.

I am now happy again.

May 9, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #38 of 123
  After about 10hrs of intensive comparison between the Audio-GD NFB 15 and the NAD D1050 (both connected via USB to my Windows PC) with Sennheiser HD-700.... find my conclusion below.

[size=17.0300006866455px]Test Setup:[/size]
The Audio-GD has now about 200hrs burn in, filters left on standard. Standard USB cable that came along, and a rather entry level Isotek Power chord.
As the NAD came without an USB cable (!) i got myself a cheap In-Akustiv 'premium' USB cable (2m) from amazon for 10,-€.
NAD burn-in now about 100hrs.

Setlist for this test contained Vocal Jazz, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Electronic -  from 70's up to today - and some Classical music (orchester/piano concert)
Sound quality varied from 16/44 to 24/192.

[size=17.0300006866455px]Sound Verdict NAD D1050 versus Audio GD NFB-15 (2014)[/size]
The NAD is somewhat smoother, more laid back, has a notch more bass, and less harsh vocals - although hissing is about the same level.
Everything sounds to me a lot more pleasant with the NAD, voices have the sparkle in them I was missing with the AUDIO-GD.  
The instruments are more integrated and they sound together... as with the Audio-GD 15 they seem to play all for themselves...
The NAD also leaves a better rhythmic impression - and listening is more fun.
With the AUDIO-GD I had always the feeling of an analytic session was occuring, it was a bit boring and could get strenous; I could not let myself get lost in the music, as single instruments are so prominently audible. 

The Audio-GD is a very very good DAC that shows its capability of producing detail every second - but it sounds to me a bit more digital. For sound analysts and people who care much for hearing every single detail of every instrument/voice, this is the choice. The soundstage feels to me a bit norrow due to this reason.

The NAD offers the same level of detail, just does not pronounce it so prominently and has a warmer, smoother sound. Voices are more pleasant.

Always keep in mind that this test was executed with a Sennheiser HD-700 only, and that I have a liking for 'british sound' (Musical Fidelity, Rega, ...).

I guess that when using  'warmer' cans, the Audio-GD might sound quite different and maybe less strenous.

[size=17.0300006866455px]Hardware Verdict NAD D1050[/size]

Negative NAD:

1. 3,5mm headphone jack of the NAD (listening at home with mobile headphones????
  2. Plasticky case with the fingerprint addictive glossy plastic and the matte plastic equally easily dirty
  3. Ridicoulously cheap gummi-stickers instead of solid feet for the case
  4. Wobbly volume knob which is also so sensitive that you have to turn it round and round and round for larger adjustments
  5. No volume indicator
  6. No remote control included
  7. No USB cable included
  8. Only external 5V PowerSupply included which has to be assembled (insert the plug for your region in to the power supply - fiddly!)
  9. Ticking when switching between resolutions
  10. 1-2 seconds pause when switching between resolutions 

Positive NAD:

1. Remote controllable - old logitech harmony 885 works good added 'amp' NAD 3020. 
  2. Multiple digital inputs allows integration in home audio system (lack of HDMI though)
  3. Analogue outputs RCA and balanced give it a wider range of usability

[size=17.0300006866455px]Overall Verdict[/size]

The NAD D1050 wins in my test/setup over the Audio-GD NFB 15.

The Audio-GD NFB-15 is a very solid build device and I am very confident that it will hold up to it's 10 years warranty. It is very fast, produced lots of detail, and looks very professional. The
switches look a bit awkward but are very solid and give a nice feedback. The volume know has an indicator, and the device has a pretty strong inbuild power supply that leaves room for modding with after-market power chords.

I don't like the NAD D1050's case, the 3,5mm headphone jack and the wobbly volume knob. But the sound is more pleasant to me - which is the most important reason for me. The remote controllabilty is also a big plus, and with the analogue outputs that make it more versatile.

I am now happy again.

Really nice write-up. I personally like the case design, but taste is a personal thing - it uses less desk space and I think it looks elegant.

The remote thing is key - I actually purchased a 3020 remote from my dealer (they threw it in for free after I bought a Bryston BDP-1) and that made all the difference for both the goofy touch buttons and the crazy volume knob.

But I agree on the sound and I think this is a highly under-appreciated DAC/amp on Head-Fi. With my Grados it really sounds incredible. For my Senns, I prefer my Woo OTL.

Thanks for taking the time to write-up your review.

May 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #39 of 123
One thing I forgot to mention about the NAD D1050: The real nice packaging! You can clearly see there were designers involved in the making! 
wink.gif

May 11, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #40 of 123
Another thing worth mentioning: You can use the NAD D1050 as ASIO device in more than one application in parallel.
So in example playing a tune in MC19 and a video in youtube (and some streaming in Spotifiy).

Am I doing something wrong (or right here)?
With other USB ASIO devices my experience was that only one application can use it and has exclusive access. Starting another while the one having the device locked was still running resulted in a system error message.

May 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #41 of 123
For your information, if you are considering using an external 5v linear power supply for your NAD D1050 and wonder how much current D1050 consumes, here are the figures I got with my multimeter:

NAD factory input voltage: 5.15V

Current consumption full working status (coaxial output):  1.7A (very stable current consumption, little current fluctuation)

Current consumption no input signal: 1.4A

Current consumption standby: 0.02A

I've been searching for these data with no avail. Eventually I had to take measurement myself with a 50 mohm resistor. Hope this helps.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

pakultra 

May 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #42 of 123
  For your information, if you are considering using an external 5v linear power supply for your NAD D1050 and wonder how much current D1050 consumes, here are the figures I got with my multimeter:

NAD factory input voltage: 5.15V

Current consumption full working status (coaxial output):  1.7A (very stable current consumption, little current fluctuation)

Current consumption no input signal: 1.4A

Current consumption standby: 0.02A

I've been searching for these data with no avail. Eventually I had to take measurement myself with a 50 mohm resistor. Hope this helps.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

pakultra 

Very cool and thanks for posting. I've considered upgrading the PSU; do you think a 5V / 2A PSU would work? That seems to be a pretty standard 3rd-party option.

Do you think a regulated, linear PSU would be a worthy addition?

May 17, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #43 of 123
You are welcome
smile.gif
. 5V 2A will definitely work. D1050 only uses 1.7A at max. I believe a regulated linear PSU will be good, although I am not sure how much improvement it can bring. I am currently building a 2A regulated linear PSU myself. Will share my results once I put it together. 

May 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #44 of 123
  You are welcome
smile.gif
. 5V 2A will definitely work. D1050 only uses 1.7A at max. I believe a regulated linear PSU will be good, although I am not sure how much improvement it can bring. I am currently building a 2A regulated linear PSU myself. Will share my results once I put it together. 

Thx for the info!

Any idea what would be a good option of a linear PSU to replace the stock PSU?  

May 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #45 of 123
  Thx for the info!

Any idea what would be a good option of a linear PSU to replace the stock PSU?  

I am really hoping to use the new iFi Audio iPower PSU - they don't seem to be for sale, yet, but promise extremely low noise DC power for about $50 US. And, they have a 5V / 2A model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back