NAD 7225PE or Marantz pm 4001?
Jul 25, 2007 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Metallian

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I've got a small problem. There are two amps I could afford (but can't try neither one
frown.gif
). One shop is selling NAD 7225PE and I've heard lots of good things about NAD amplifiers. The problem is, I can't find ANY kind of information about them. The shopkeeper says they're brand new. So are they new old stock? Because if they would be new models, wouldn't they be listed in NAD's website, eh?
confused.gif
Okay... that 7225pe is 50e more expensive than Marantz pm 4001. I was told that new Marantz amps suck, but I don't know. pm 4001 is pretty much what I need. It doesn't have lots of buttons or extra features. Just the basic things and that's it. If somebody owns either one of these amps, I would like to hear about them, thanks!

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 7
I have a nad cd player(i think its the 514) that I use and I like it. I have heard great thinkgs about there stuff. You might also want to check out adcom and maybe parasound amplifiers.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 7
I have a Marantz PM 4001. To be fair, I don't know much about others' opinions of the amp.

I don't think it's perfect but I've had 3 years of enjoyment out of it. In my opinion it seems to be voiced quite noticeably. Compared to the other (and older) Pioneer and Technics amps we have sitting about, it's a pretty smooth warm sounding amp. I like this but you might not.
I don't use the headphone socket because you don't get amazing quality audio out of it compared with dedicated HP amps.
If you use it to drive your speakers, it'll be fine. BuildQ is good, EQ is fine. Enough inputs and outputs to sort you out. The phono section is good quality. I've used it to run through into my PC to record my vinyl and the recordings are warm but fine.

A good solid entry level integrated amp. I'll upgrade eventually, but I'm in no rush.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 7
The NAD 7225PE is from the late 80s/early 90s--who the hell is selling "new" stock? Sounds weird.

Who told you the new Marantz amps suck? A Rotel salesman? I've never heard that; on the contrary they have an excellent reputation. Buy the 4001, it'll be just fine, and if you're using headphones don't let anyopne tell you they won't sound any good out of an integrated amp--listen and judge for yourself. A number of people have said the CD5001 has an excellent headphone out, so why should not the PM4001?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back