Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Jan 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #61 of 351
Quote:

So I'm not planning on using the unbalanced preamp pass through.  Just want to use i as a preamp via balanced outputs to my amp.  Surly I don't need the preamp version for this.  

I guess in short.

I just want to control the volume in analog mode with the DAC connected straight to the amp via balanced cables.

What you describe shouldn't be a problem with the mastering edition, however I've been using the "bypass" volume control option for all my listening.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #62 of 351
Quote:

Any idea what the original master is on DSD? I'm unfamiliar with Depeche Mode's recordings. Talking to some recording engineers, more "modern" (no idea when that cut-off time was) masters made on digital are more likely, but not always, on 48kHz. Only the older masters are done on 1/4" (analogue) tape.

To be honest, quite a few of my SACDs and CD equivalents, the improvements on SACDs are "slight" by my standards - i.e. I'd have to listen well to hear the difference - they're not exactly night 'n day. These are mostly the older late 50's/early 60's West Coast jazz, and some fewer modern (namely "Yo-Yo Ma") SACDs compared to their CD counterparts. But I continue buying/ripping backup SACDs 'cos they're available - shallow, I know.

Today I did try the Mytek 192-Stereo DSD and April Music Eximus DP-1. I must say after listening to both, I find the Mytek to be a tad warmer between the two. I had problems with hi-rez FLACS 96/192kHz via optical (iBasso DX100) and could only sample my 44.1kHz and lossy 320kbps AACs of my source. I did sample the demonstrator's DSD tracks off his notebook but was unfamiliar with his tracks so hard to really comment.

For some reason though I have a tendency to lean more towards the Eximus DP-1 over the Mytek DSD as it seemed somewhat more detailed. But for one track/album, the DP-1 was very unforgiving to bad recordings - namely Bill Evan's Waltz for Debbie. I could hear -every- crackle as though the DSD was ripped from a vinyl or something (which isn't in reality...it was a live recording) and that was so distracting I couldn't concentrate on the music. That was the only exception. For my other albums, the DP-1 felt smoother and more pleasing to my ears than the Mytek DSD - naturally, this is comparing PCM <-> PCM, since the Eximus DP-1 doesn't do DSD.

Another I tried was the Chord Electronics QuteHD and QBD76HD. They both sounded very good and detailed but they're DAC only - so the external amp (of which I forgot the name). I'd consider the QuteHD quite seriously if it weren't for it's output which is unbalanced-only. Whereas the QBD76HD has a lot more options, it's also 5x more expensive.

In short, if I take the DSD factor out of the question, I'd personally lean towards the Eximus DP-1. OTOH, if I do take DSD into consideration, I'd personally choose the Mytek DSD for it's features (balanced output, multiple input, etc.) but would pick the Chord QuteHD for its SQ (but very limited input/output options).

I have Mytek 192-DSD DAC, and had a chance to compare it with Eximus DP1.  I tried only with Audeze LCD2 and Sennheiser HD25 SP.

Since Eximus is not a DSD DAC, I only use PCM files for the comparison.
In my opinion, the headphone output of Eximus is tonally better for me, more bass body, and not too forward as Mytek headphone output.  Mytek headphone output sounds smooth with 'live like' presentation, excellent imaging and detail, but the bass is rather too lean for my taste.  Bass is punchy, but sounds rather thin.

When I connect Mytek analog output to Eximus analog input, so using Mytek as DAC, and Eximus as headphone amp, it was the best setup I heard.  Excellent imaging and detail, with very good bass.
And I think, for the DAC section, Mytek is better than the Eximus, more resolution and more accurate.  While for the headphone amp section, Eximus sounds much better than Mytek.

Does anyone here using the Mytek 192-DSD DAC feel that the Mytek headphone output is rather lean on the bass?  Not enough bass body?

I use HD800, T1, HE5-LE, SRH-840, and other headphones, and still feel the same, that Mytek headphone output is lean on the bass :frowning2:

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #63 of 351
Thanks for sharing :)
Quote:

I have Mytek 192-DSD DAC, and had a chance to compare it with Eximus DP1.  I tried only with Audeze LCD2 and Sennheiser HD25 SP.

Since Eximus is not a DSD DAC, I only use PCM files for the comparison.
In my opinion, the headphone output of Eximus is tonally better for me, more bass body, and not too forward as Mytek headphone output.  Mytek headphone output sounds smooth with 'live like' presentation, excellent imaging and detail, but the bass is rather too lean for my taste.  Bass is punchy, but sounds rather thin.

When I connect Mytek analog output to Eximus analog input, so using Mytek as DAC, and Eximus as headphone amp, it was the best setup I heard.  Excellent imaging and detail, with very good bass.
And I think, for the DAC section, Mytek is better than the Eximus, more resolution and more accurate.  While for the headphone amp section, Eximus sounds much better than Mytek.

Does anyone here using the Mytek 192-DSD DAC feel that the Mytek headphone output is rather lean on the bass?  Not enough bass body?

I use HD800, T1, HE5-LE, SRH-840, and other headphones, and still feel the same, that Mytek headphone output is lean on the bass :frowning2:

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #64 of 351
Quote:

Most of the amp/dacs combo I owned had problems with the bass department from the headphone output (DACmini + Benchmark, except for the Burson, it had other lacking features with the DAC). But it's not from a lack of quality it just felt underpowered especially for the HD800. I've probably only listened to the headphone output for less than an hour with the Mytek but my other amps were much more preferable.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #65 of 351
Right, I think at the moment still not many DAC + Amp combo that excels in both department.  According to the spec, it doesn't seems that Mytek headphone amp is under powered, the output is up to 500 mA, it is considered very powerful for a headphone amp.  In fact it drives my HE5-LE pretty well, and it doesn't sound under powered.  I think it is simply the amp characteristic that is lean on bass.
I'm looking for a decent headphone amp to be paired with Mytek, especially to compensate the lean bass, any suggestion?  Is Burson Soloist a good option?  Amp with balance input and output would be nice :)

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #66 of 351
Quote:
Right, I think at the moment still not many DAC + Amp combo that excels in both department.  According to the spec, it doesn't seems that Mytek headphone amp is under powered, the output is up to 500 mA, it is considered very powerful for a headphone amp.  In fact it drives my HE5-LE pretty well, and it doesn't sound under powered.  I think it is simply the amp characteristic that is lean on bass.
I'm looking for a decent headphone amp to be paired with Mytek, especially to compensate the lean bass, any suggestion?  Is Burson Soloist a good option?  Amp with balance input and output would be nice :)

Underpowered not according to specification, but to sound. Like you mentioned, the bass isn't tightly controlled and the headphone output doesn't have full authority or power over it. If you compare the headphone output with an SPL Phonitor and HD800, the difference will be quite clear.
As of right now, my other amplifier, besides the Phonitor, is the Burson HA-160, which pairs nicely with my TH900 (all the PRaT, Bass you need for this 25ohm beauty). However, the HA-160 is not ideal for HD800, I didn't like the sound and the Phonitor once again came on top. I cannot comment much on Soloist, but have read good reviews on it. From your inventory, I think you'd benefit from an SPL Auditor/Phonitor because they pair really good with the T1 and the HD800.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #67 of 351
Have any of you listened to the Lynx Hilo? It's in the same feature set discussion and can be had for $1850. This, the Hilo, Benchmark, Lavry and the M903 are all in the same market for professionals.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #68 of 351
Quote:
Have any of you listened to the Lynx Hilo? It's in the same feature set discussion and can be had for $1850. This, the Hilo, Benchmark, Lavry and the M903 are all in the same market for professionals.

Haven't tried Linx Hilo.

Quote:
Underpowered not according to specification, but to sound. Like you mentioned, the bass isn't tightly controlled and the headphone output doesn't have full authority or power over it. If you compare the headphone output with an SPL Phonitor and HD800, the difference will be quite clear.
As of right now, my other amplifier, besides the Phonitor, is the Burson HA-160, which pairs nicely with my TH900 (all the PRaT, Bass you need for this 25ohm beauty). However, the HA-160 is not ideal for HD800, I didn't like the sound and the Phonitor once again came on top. I cannot comment much on Soloist, but have read good reviews on it. From your inventory, I think you'd benefit from an SPL Auditor/Phonitor because they pair really good with the T1 and the HD800.

No, not under powered.  Everything is tightly controlled from the Mytek Headphone output, midrange and the rest of the spectrum is very well controlled, good detail, not smeared.  When under powered, HE5-LE sounds smeared, the detail blurred.  That's the way it sounded when I use lower power headphone output for HE5-LE.  But Mytek headphone output can drive HE5-LE pretty well, with good control, not under powered.  It is just the character of the Mytek headphone output is lean on bass, at least when I compared it with the headphone output of Eximus DP1.  Not about the power, it is about the character, the tonal balance of the amp.  BTW, in my opinion, Auditor character on bass is also a tad lean.  I used Auditor when I reviewed T1 for Headfonia, the bass is just ok, but didn't feel powerful.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #70 of 351
Quote:

Haven't tried Linx Hilo.

No, not under powered.  Everything is tightly controlled from the Mytek Headphone output, midrange and the rest of the spectrum is very well controlled, good detail, not smeared.  When under powered, HE5-LE sounds smeared, the detail blurred.  That's the way it sounded when I use lower power headphone output for HE5-LE.  But Mytek headphone output can drive HE5-LE pretty well, with good control, not under powered.  It is just the character of the Mytek headphone output is lean on bass, at least when I compared it with the headphone output of Eximus DP1.  Not about the power, it is about the character, the tonal balance of the amp.  BTW, in my opinion, Auditor character on bass is also a tad lean.  I used Auditor when I reviewed T1 for Headfonia, the bass is just ok, but didn't feel powerful.

With the headphone output, I've spent most of my time with the LCD-2 and HD800, the latter felt underpowered.. When I am comparing it with a full-range amplifier, like the Phonitor, the sound has little to medium quality to it. To get partial quality you'd have to blow your ears up by increasing the volume. This is where stand-alone amplifiers, and the particular headphone specifications you are using, make a difference in the SQ that I am so used to. The Fostex TH900 (and the Ultrasone Edition 8), for example, sound amazing on the Mytek headphone output with no "lean bass" as you call it and it's mostly with the HD800 that I have a problem with.
Earfonia, not too sure with the T1 but the HD800 + Phonitor/Auditor is a perfect match from my experience, especially when conducting audio engineering (mixing and mastering). The bass is not in exaggerated quantity and just right, I never thought it was lean so it can't be the character of the amp. As you know, HD800 is a really picky headphone so this may have something to do with it.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #71 of 351
Quote:
With the headphone output, I've spent most of my time with the LCD-2 and HD800, the latter felt underpowered.. When I am comparing it with a full-range amplifier, like the Phonitor, the sound has little to medium quality to it. To get partial quality you'd have to blow your ears up by increasing the volume. This is where stand-alone amplifiers, and the particular headphone specifications you are using, make a difference in the SQ that I am so used to. The Fostex TH900 (and the Ultrasone Edition 8), for example, sound amazing on the Mytek headphone output with no "lean bass" as you call it and it's mostly with the HD800 that I have a problem with.
Earfonia, not too sure with the T1 but the HD800 + Phonitor/Auditor is a perfect match from my experience, especially when conducting audio engineering (mixing and mastering). The bass is not in exaggerated quantity and just right, I never thought it was lean so it can't be the character of the amp. As you know, HD800 is a really picky headphone so this may have something to do with it.
wink.gif

Mytek is really a great tool for mixing and mastering, brutally honest, amazing detail, clarity and imaging.  I agree, especially during mixing, it is difficult to mix with too much bass, need more clarity on that stage, and Mytek is great, even when using the headphone output.  But for mastering (when using headphone, as we need to compare how it sounds on speaker and headphones in mastering stage), I think around 2 dB bass lift (shelf from 150 Hz downward) for the headphone output would be nice :)

I didn't have HD800 during the time when I borrowed the Auditor for a few weeks for T1 review, so I don't know the synergy.  Now listening HD800 through Mytek headphone output while writing this reply, some recordings do sound great, bass extension pretty good, but still around 2 dB bass lift would be better as what I've listened from the Eximus DP1 headphone output, it is almost 2 dB different on the bass, Eximus headphone output bass is fatter, compared to Mytek headphone output, using the same DAC, Mytek DAC.

So far with HD800, T1, HE5-LE, using Mytek headphone output, HE5-LE is the most musical among the three.  I have to try with other dedicated amplifier :)  But no doubt Mytek is really great and versatile DAC.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #72 of 351
How would a home audio user be able to utilize the DSD capabilities of this DAC?  I believe I've read that SACD players are restricted to only outputting via the analog outs.  Is a computer with a regular DVD ROM drive able to read the DSD information from a SACD and send it to this DAC?  Is there someplace online that sells digital copies in DSD format. Or what?

By the way, I read the manual for this available on their website and was quite impressed; it seems well written and comprehensive.  Also liked the fact that not only can you dim the display, but you can completely disable the LEDs as well.  More manufacturers need to take note of that!

- Thanks.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #73 of 351
^^^You would have to have dsd recordings on your computer. There are some websites that offer these but they are not mainstream recordings. Most SACD players pass DSD over HDMI only. Some have analogue outs but that doesn't do anything for a DAC. A computer DVD drive cannot play SACDs. The only way to get SACDs on your computer is to rip them with a hacked early PS3.  This requires an early firmware that is very difficult to locate these days. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #74 of 351
Quote:
How would a home audio user be able to utilize the DSD capabilities of this DAC?  I believe I've read that SACD players are restricted to only outputting via the analog outs.  Is a computer with a regular DVD ROM drive able to read the DSD information from a SACD and send it to this DAC?  Is there someplace online that sells digital copies in DSD format. Or what?

By the way, I read the manual for this available on their website and was quite impressed; it seems well written and comprehensive.  Also liked the fact that not only can you dim the display, but you can completely disable the LEDs as well.  More manufacturers need to take note of that!

- Thanks.

DSD only playable if you have the SACD ISO or other format of DSD file on you computer.  So only through USB and Firewire.
The features of Mytek, is really second to none, kudos to Michal Jurewicz.  Especially if you do your own mixing and mastering, those features are really useful :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #75 of 351
Quote:

DSD only playable if you have the SACD ISO or other format of DSD file on you computer.  So only through USB and Firewire.
The features of Mytek, is really second to none, kudos to Michal Jurewicz.  Especially if you do your own mixing and mastering, those features are really useful :)

^ Earfonia is right, the DSD implementation is really well done. Ever since my acquisition of the Mytek DAC I have built a substantial library of SACD iso rips (by a PS3)! The DSD sound is simply amazing, and there are so many details that sprout out. I am currently considering getting the remote control to manage the DAC from afar whilst in the living room, have you tried it Earfonia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back