Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #46 of 351
Quote:
I will be actually considering purchasing the MF Vlink 192 for the AES connectivity. One thing to remember that DSD playback is only available through USB and Firewire.

WOW - didn't know that.  So If I come off my laptop via USB and DSD.  Are you saying if I use a USB converter to convert to AES or Coax - It won't work?  Just so I'm clear.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #47 of 351
Quote:

WOW - didn't know that.  So If I come off my laptop via USB and DSD.  Are you saying if I use a USB converter to convert to AES or Coax - It won't work?  Just so I'm clear.

Yes, I believe that drivers are needed to communicate with the DAC. All the other inputs, besides Firewire and USB 2.0 (excluding 1.1), will only support PCM and upsampling to 192khz.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #48 of 351
Quote:
I will be actually considering purchasing the MF Vlink 192 for the AES connectivity. One thing to remember that DSD playback is only available through USB and Firewire.

so Dukeskd, you're still pretty happy with your Mytek 192-DS? has the sound changed at all as you've used it more?  would you characterize the sound as analytical or potentially clinical?

i'm very keen on potentially trying/buying one ....

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #49 of 351
Quote:

so Dukeskd, you're still pretty happy with your Mytek 192-DS? has the sound changed at all as you've used it more?  would you characterize the sound as analytical or potentially clinical?

i'm very keen on potentially trying/buying one ....

Very happy. And yes the sound has improved constantly after break in. I would not characterize the sound as overly analytical or clinical, it has some warmth, especially with the bass region but everything is neutral as it stands.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #53 of 351
Here is a link to a hifi forum hailing from Hong Kong, they have a few posts comparing the Anedio and Mytek:
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39900

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #57 of 351
Quote:
Remember that their comparisons are based on their own personal preferences. Personally, with the Mytek 192, my DAC journey has ended.

Mytek, Anedio, W4S and Violectric are the main contenders for my $1500ish impending DAC purchase....

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #58 of 351
Quote:

Mytek, Anedio, W4S and Violectric are the main contenders for my $1500ish impending DAC purchase....

I would narrow my search down to the Mytek and the Anedio 2.  The other 2 can't compete.  IMO.

@dukeskd

I'm planning on using the Mytek as a DAC and preamp for my F1J speaker amp.  I don't have to get the preamp version for this do?  I can still get the Mastering DAC and accomplish the same thing - correct?

Is it analog or digital volume control?  Did I read it can be both?   

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #59 of 351
Quote:

I would narrow my search down to the Mytek and the Anedio 2.  The other 2 can't compete.  IMO.

@dukeskd

I'm planning on using the Mytek as a DAC and preamp for my F1J speaker amp.  I don't have to get the preamp version for this do?  I can still get the Mastering DAC and accomplish the same thing - correct?

Is it analog or digital volume control?  Did I read it can be both?   

You will need to get the preamp version for the preamp, the mastering edition omits the preamp version from what I read in the specifications. And yes, it has both digital and analog control which is awesome.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #60 of 351
Quote:
You will need to get the preamp version for the preamp, the mastering edition omits the preamp version from what I read in the specifications. And yes, it has both digital and analog control which is awesome.

So I'm not planning on using the unbalanced preamp pass through.  Just want to use i as a preamp via balanced outputs to my amp.  Surly I don't need the preamp version for this.  

I guess in short.

I just want to control the volume in analog mode with the DAC connected straight to the amp via balanced cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back