Mytek Liberty DAC II discussion + impression
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #46 of 83
Anyone hear popping in the USB input? I do- and I can't get rid of it....
I had occasional pops (single ones) rareley, for about one month at the beginning. Funny, your post made me realize that they are gone now. How requent are yours? Have you verified the firmware?

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #47 of 83
I ordered my Liberty II after my iFi Pro iDSD stopped working after 90 days, and subsequently spent the next two months being lost in some kind of endless repair queue at iFi. The Liberty II got me right back into audio bliss after my time lost in a desert of silence… waiting.

Yes, I would have liked to see a manual specific to the Liberty II on the Mytek site. I read the manual for the original Liberty model and it did help some. There is absolutely no paperwork in the box at all, just the hardware. Also, I tried to download the app so I could check and load new software when needed. It’s not available on the Apple App Store, just from the Mytek site. I have a new Mac with the latest software but couldn’t get past the error messages.

So I decided just to go with the flow and enjoy the music. And the Liberty II really delivers. I love this DAC! Compared to my iFi Pro iDSD I would say I can hear deeper into the music. More clarity and detail, but not in a way that causes fatigue. More detail in a way that makes me want to keep turning the volume up! I love the simplicity… the singleminded and streamlined purpose in the features and controls of this DAC. It just plays music beautifully.

So, if you don’t need all those fab “Swiss army knife” features of the iDSD (which I do love), then the Liberty II will get you as good or better sound for half the price.
Five months later, I’m still using this DAC daily and loving it. However, the Apple remote is useless. Tap volume up (I think…there still isn’t a user manual for the Liberty II on the Mytek site) and it goes to ear splitting full volume, or, nothing at all happens. Same for volume decrease. Two months ago I put in a support ticket on the Mytek site asking for help. No response at all. Magazine and online reviewers please take note: this company has NO support at all for its product. No manual, no working remote, and no way to load driver updates (I’ve tried on both Windows and MacOS machines). Consumers need to be informed of this.

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #48 of 83
It's starting to feel like HEM was the good side of Mytek... fortunately they're still in business.

Listening now to my Brooklyn DAC+ drive by an Audio-gd DI-20 over AES/EBU and using the DI-20's WCLK output.

The Apple remote is very helpful with the Brooklyn, I just wish there was a way to turn it on and off via remote.

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #49 of 83
It's starting to feel like HEM was the good side of Mytek... fortunately they're still in business.

Listening now to my Brooklyn DAC+ drive by an Audio-gd DI-20 over AES/EBU and using the DI-20's WCLK output.

The Apple remote is very helpful with the Brooklyn, I just wish there was a way to turn it on and off via remote.
Hi Headroom… The Apple remote “up” button is volume increase and the “down“ button is decrease. And the center button is mute right? Any other functions you are aware of On the Apple remote?

Jun 19, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #50 of 83
Hi Headroom… The Apple remote “up” button is volume increase and the “down“ button is decrease. And the center button is mute right? Any other functions you are aware of On the Apple remote?
Well, it's a completely different DAC. I was just kinda sadly observing that Mytek really has not gone in the direction I would have hoped.

For my setup, it runs at 0 dB fixed output level. What I use the remote for is navigating the menus, it's really handy for that. I can turn MQA on or off to check a song, I can use the internal clock or an external clock, and much more... I think everything is controllable via the remote except power on/off.

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #51 of 83
Anyone hear popping in the USB input? I do- and I can't get rid of it....
Yes. I initially heard popping on the coax input, straight out of the box. I then switched to the USB input, which seemed to be an improvement, but it is still happening. I installed the 03-03-22 firmware update, but that did not fix the issue. Hopefully they fix this issue in a future firmware update.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #52 of 83
Yes. I initially heard popping on the coax input, straight out of the box. I then switched to the USB input, which seemed to be an improvement, but it is still happening. I installed the 03-03-22 firmware update, but that did not fix the issue. Hopefully they fix this issue in a future firmware update.
Follow-up: I just installed the new firmware that was released on 07-22-22 (version 1.2.6). Will report back my findings if this new firmware release solved the popping issue.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #53 of 83
I'm very happy with the DAC (no more popping, and great sound).

Does anyone know how to keep the RCA output active when the phones are plugged in?

No one has answered the phone over there for months. I fear for customer support if something were to go wrong!

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #54 of 83
Follow-up: I just installed the new firmware that was released on 07-22-22 (version 1.2.6). Will report back my findings if this new firmware release solved the popping issue.
The verdict: popping issue is not fixed with firmware version 1.2.6. I would characterize the issue as infrequent but I stop short of saying it is random. It appears to be triggered by the changing of sample/bit rate combinations. Would like to clarify that this popping noise doesn't happen between songs; it happens during songs. I'm not a novice to DAC behavior by any stretch (I've owned 5 since the early 2000's), and I did not hear these anomalies with the previous DAC that I had in this particular setup. So I'm confident that the issue lays at the feet of the Liberty II and not the music files or any other part of my system.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #55 of 83
The verdict: popping issue is not fixed with firmware version 1.2.6. I would characterize the issue as infrequent but I stop short of saying it is random. It appears to be triggered by the changing of sample/bit rate combinations. Would like to clarify that this popping noise doesn't happen between songs; it happens during songs. I'm not a novice to DAC behavior by any stretch (I've owned 5 since the early 2000's), and I did not hear these anomalies with the previous DAC that I had in this particular setup. So I'm confident that the issue lays at the feet of the Liberty II and not the music files or any other part of my system.

Hello Mooyin, have you reported the issue to Mytek support? I have the Liberty DAC 2 with the same problem happening from time to time.
If you have a solution already, please let me know.

Cheers/Palucha

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #56 of 83
Hello Mooyin, have you reported the issue to Mytek support? I have the Liberty DAC 2 with the same problem happening from time to time.
If you have a solution already, please let me know.

Cheers/Palucha
Hello Palucha. No, I haven't reported it to Mytek. I have a hunch Mytek is reading this forum, though (since they have previously posted on it). Anyone else who owns the Liberty Dac II and is having this same issue should report the issue on this forum.

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #57 of 83
Hello Palucha. No, I haven't reported it to Mytek. I have a hunch Mytek is reading this forum, though (since they have previously posted on it). Anyone else who owns the Liberty Dac II and is having this same issue should report the issue on this forum.
That doesn't make any sense. I can't find any posts but IIRC Mytek hasn't been online since the beginning of last year. And they're not a forum sponsor.

This forum is not the place for bug reports for anything but the forum itself. If you paid money and something doesn't work or you need help, contact the manufacturer.

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #58 of 83
That doesn't make any sense. I can't find any posts but IIRC Mytek hasn't been online since the beginning of last year. And they're not a forum sponsor.

This forum is not the place for bug reports for anything but the forum itself. If you paid money and something doesn't work or you need help, contact the manufacturer.
Good point about contacting the manufacturer, but I didn't mention that because it seemed so rudimentary. Any aspect about the product's performance, good or bad and reported in good faith, is fair game for this forum and could be useful information to someone else.

Aug 13, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #59 of 83
Hello Mooyin, all.
Check the new firmware version, just released by Mytek:

https://cloud.mytek.audio/apps/shar...are_website/liberty_dac_2_upgrade_1.3.0-1.zip

Working fine for me… continue testing.
I will appreciate sharing your experience with it.

Cheers.
Palucha

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #60 of 83
Hello Mooyin, all.
Check the new firmware version, just released by Mytek:

https://cloud.mytek.audio/apps/shar...are_website/liberty_dac_2_upgrade_1.3.0-1.zip

Working fine for me… continue testing.
I will appreciate sharing your experience with it.

Cheers.
Palucha
Hello Palucha,

I am still hearing the hiccups, even after installing the latest update (1.3.0-1). In my experience it would be very hard to spot if all one did was play music at 16 bit/44.1. However, the hiccups begin to show up when shuffling through a playlist at various bit/sample rate combinations. Do you have any solo piano (or solo anything) at something other than 16/44.1? If so, can you try playing that and reporting your findings back? For me, the hiccups are most noticeable on that type of recording, but less so (almost nonexistent) on 16/44.1 files.

~Mooyin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back