Mytek Liberty DAC II discussion + impression
Jan 31, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 83
True, that does work for sure. I just hate having to turn the knob 100x cause there's very fine steps on this one and it doesn't remember the last setting. I'd prefer to set it to fixed mode and not deal with it lol.
This feels a little scary to me. Consider the following scenario:

1. Turn on fixed mode as discussed
2. Listen to the DAC via an outboard headamp
3. Come back another day
4. Plug in a pair of headphones
5. Blow your brains out as you try (but fail) to turn the volume down fast enough...

Laziness, I suppose.
I don't think it's on you :frowning2:

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 83
This feels a little scary to me. Consider the following scenario:

1. Turn on fixed mode as discussed
2. Listen to the DAC via an outboard headamp
3. Come back another day
4. Plug in a pair of headphones
5. Blow your brains out as you try (but fail) to turn the volume down fast enough...

I don't think it's on you :frowning2:

The Mytek is a smart device.
For example, if you maxx the Vol to set the "fixed" output, and you turn off the Mytek, then turn it back on... = it resets to a normal headphone output volume.
Your ears are safe in the hands of the Mytek Liberty Dac/Amp 2 engineer.
And remember, this very same gear is about to have a $200 price increase.
Why? Because they can't build them fast enough...
I think it has to do with the sound.
Or, it could be the exceptional volume knob.
But more then likely, is because of the ES9038 chipset that has been fine tuned to sound a bit like an analog gear.
I dont really use mine overarchingly as a Headphone Amp...... Often its just for the DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #18 of 83
The Mytek is a smart device.
For example, if you maxx the Vol to set the "fixed" output, and you turn off the Mytek, then turn it back on... = it resets to a normal headphone output volume.
Thank you for this info! The site is not very good, I'm unable to get clear pics of the front or back, only the magnifier seems to work on small parts. If not for your pics I would have no idea what's going on. Also have not seen a manual.

Why? Because they can't build them fast enough...
They're more than a year late if I recall, so, yeah, they cannot build them fast enough :wink:

Anyway, I do have a Brooklyn DAC+ and think it's a great device. But between the looooong delays on the Liberty II and the difficulty in finding solid tech info, the release of this product is not very impressive.

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #19 of 83
Anyway, I do have a Brooklyn DAC+ and think it's a great device. But between the looooong delays on the Liberty II and the difficulty in finding solid tech info, the release of this product is not very impressive.

Yes.

Its not a "Paper release" as they are arriving to vendors.
This reminds me of how Audeze behaves, as they always take orders and later you see the "New" product trickle in.... slowly.

ITs a good gear.......same Headphone amp as the Brooklyn.
Dac is a slightly warm and very full sound. Nothing thin or bright. Very musical.
If i was to speculate on the tuning i'd say the 2nd order of harmonics has been upped, which imparts the extra warmth.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #20 of 83
I would be surprised if anything is shared with the Brooklyn. The Brooklyn amp is fully balanced and also has XLR pre out

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #21 of 83
I would be surprised if anything is shared with the Brooklyn. The Brooklyn amp is fully balanced and also has XLR pre out

Damien at Mytek told me they have the same headphone amp, even tho the Brooklyn is fully balanced.
He created them both.
But here is the thing...... Its like this...... Same AMP but, one can be higher power.., but its the same design.
I suspect that what He meant is.....its the same design "high current" amp, but, probably more watts regarding the Brooklyn.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 83

One thing to note is that the Liberty II actually has a XLR out, as well, although the headamp out is SE.

It would have been nice for them to include a manual for the product and be more specific with the technical specifications.

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #23 of 83
Damien at Mytek told me they have the same headphone amp, even tho the Brooklyn is fully balanced.
He created them both.
But here is the thing...... Its like this...... Same AMP but, one can be higher power.., but its the same design.
I suspect that what He meant is.....its the same design "high current" amp, but, probably more watts regarding the Brooklyn.
It gets back to what we have all agreed, the info on this is just terrible.

One thing to note is that the Liberty II actually has a XLR out, as well, although the headamp out is SE.
The only pics I have seen are the ones @FullBright1 was kind enough to post. But that XLR is not balanced analog audio out. It's AES/EBU digital input.

No doubt, with the almost complete info blackout on this I could have missed something. But going from the only pic of the back panel I have seen there is no XLR out.

It would have been nice for them to include a manual for the product and be more specific with the technical specifications.
Yep, been looking for one since they announced this device I think more than a year ago, and have never found anything.

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #24 of 83
The only pics I have seen are the ones @FullBright1 was kind enough to post. But that XLR is not balanced analog audio out. It's AES/EBU digital input..

That photo posted is old and inaccurate; there indeed is a XLR output on the Liberty DAC II (I have it feeding my GS-X Mini).

The information on this device is so brutal that the stock photos aren't even accurate.

This is more accurate:

download.jpeg

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #26 of 83
Mytek told me the manual is close to completion, as is the Online Software Controller.
Yeah, well the Liberty was gonna ship in January. Then June. Then July, then this January it shipped.

So like Yogi Berra used to say, "I'll believe it when I believe it!"

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 83
I eventually placed an order on Mytek website for this DAC II yesterday around 5pm and received it around 12pm today. Listened for about one hour so far, definitely not break in yet. I feel the DAC is really good comparing to the other DACs I tried under $2000, the headphone amp is not impressed though. The XLR output is definitely a huge plus, and it contributes a lot to why I bought it instead of a Qutest.

I do hope Mytek can give us a manual. I don't know how to use the remote and I don't know how to set fixed ouput (beside the max volume method...).

Also, I like to thank @FullBright1 for posting the initial impressions and answered my questions in private message.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #30 of 83
Can the single ended, and balanced line outputs be used at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back