Mystery Unclosed: Modern Closed Headphones Compared + Sennheiser HD598 UPDATE: PSB M4U2 Added 7/5/13
Jan 31, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #46 of 104
Quote:
The MDR-1R wasn't at the first place in terms of sound quality because K550 has more neutral sound, wider soundstage and like you said faster. The MDR-1R is pretty good for both outdoor and indoor as it foes benefits from an amp. Overall, the MDR-1R sound FUN while the K550 sound "Serious" as in neutral
smily_headphones1.gif
really depends on what you like.

The K550 are actually suitable for outdoor unless AKG provide a case, a detachable code and a shorter cable but of corse, it's pretty weird to carry such big stuff while on the go.
rolleyes.gif

Oh no I agree, its more so that the K550s met my expectations, where as the 1Rs exceeded mine.  I would agree that they K550 was definitely technically superior.  I would love to have the K550s, but I already have a pair of HD650s, and 325is, so its hard to justify them in my home rotation, being a broke college student and all.  I think I'm going to take my tax return and fire&forget at the MDRs, though.  I lost my Shure 530s( not so sure how this even happened..), and I've been wanted a new portable pair anyways.  With that said.. do you know of any over-ear portables that have the sound of the Sonys with maybe a bit tighter bass, and maybe more neutral overall?  I'm pretty set, but I'm never sure until I actually pull the trigger 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #47 of 104
Oh no I agree, its more so that the K550s met my expectations, where as the 1Rs exceeded mine.  I would agree that they K550 was definitely technically superior.  I would love to have the K550s, but I already have a pair of HD650s, and 325is, so its hard to justify them in my home rotation, being a broke college student and all.  I think I'm going to take my tax return and fire&forget at the MDRs, though.  I lost my Shure 530s( not so sure how this even happened..), and I've been wanted a new portable pair anyways.  With that said.. do you know of any over-ear portables that have the sound of the Sonys with maybe a bit tighter bass, and maybe more neutral overall?  I'm pretty set, but I'm never sure until I actually pull the trigger 
biggrin.gif

Personally, I find MDR-1R bass are pretty tight but it's probably because of the speed that ruins it(I think?) but anyway, I can't think of any closed over the ear and portable headphone that sound neutral but you might like to take a look at the K167. It has tight and strong bass punch where as the mids and highs are pretty forward. Something like HD598 which I auditioned before but with more bass and cleaner overall sound. Not saying the HD598 has a lot of sibilance or the K167 sound very clean. HD598 are clean but with some vocals, it hisses a little. While the K167 are clean very clean but not until you put up the K550. Hope this help!

Billson :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #48 of 104
Post edit: Added AKG K167 & Shure SRH840 to comparison. ATH-M50 is too compared with SRH 840 in the review. 

At the same time, apologize to those who are looking for my comparison between the Sennheiser HD25 ii, Amperior, M-80, DT1350 and Momentums. As I was really busy and the shop is located at the busiest city in Singapore [ Orchard Road ] and yeah, didn't get my purchase and once again, I am back to Brunei and continue my studies. ouch. lol... Anyway, I might able to do a separate review on the Sennheiser RS220 which I heard that it sound extremely familiar with Sennheiser HD600. Will see how things turn out but I like how the RS220 sound if there's less cut in the signal and ted less bass. 

Billson 
size]

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #49 of 104
I don't get how I keep missing great threads like this. Awesome comparison OP!

I never owned the K167 or UE600 before, but I think you nailed it on these ones:

Build Quality:
AKG K550 = Sennheiser Momentum

Style:
Sony MDR-1R > Sennheiser Momentum

Sound:
AKG K550 > Sony MDR-1R > Sennheiser Momentum

I wasn't too big of fan of the MDR-1R stock, but it was fantastic after some EQ tweaks.

SRH840 is also a perfect throw in. I kinda miss that thing. Better than the M50 IMO.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #50 of 104
Quote:
I don't get how I keep missing great threads like this. Awesome comparison OP!

I never owned the K167 or UE600 before, but I think you nailed it on these ones:

Build Quality:
AKG K550 = Sennheiser Momentum

Style:
Sony MDR-1R > Sennheiser Momentum

Sound:
AKG K550 > Sony MDR-1R > Sennheiser Momentum

I wasn't too big of fan of the MDR-1R stock, but it was fantastic after some EQ tweaks.

SRH840 is also a perfect throw in. I kinda miss that thing. Better than the M50 IMO.

Heya! Thanks! 

Well I don't always get to EQ a lot as I don't always have the Denon Club app with me(Not used to carry a phone]. Using my iPod Nano 3rd for all the headphones reviewed above except for K550 that I paired it with iBasso D7 because my iNano 3rd don't have juice for it as I don't wanted to complicate stuff + the iNano 3rd have decent sound except for crappy driving power for high impedance. 

Ones again, thank you for your compliment! 

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #51 of 104
Great review and comparison. Enjoyed reading the whole thing. I recently got to try the Momentum and was very impressed with the sounds. If it weren't for the horrible cups, I would have bought them there and then. I'm now looking the way of the MDR-1R. I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but from what I've read, they seem to have generally the same warm and fun signature as opposed to something more analytical. Sound like a plan? Any additional thoughts?

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #52 of 104
Quote:
Great review and comparison. Enjoyed reading the whole thing. I recently got to try the Momentum and was very impressed with the sounds. If it weren't for the horrible cups, I would have bought them there and then. I'm now looking the way of the MDR-1R. I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but from what I've read, they seem to have generally the same warm and fun signature as opposed to something more analytical. Sound like a plan? Any additional thoughts?

If you like the Momentums, you might as well like the MDR-1R. Personally, I prefer the MDR-1R better. Neither of these two are analytical to me. If you are looking for something detailed, take a look at the UE6000 but anyway. The MDR-1R sound smoother, a little bit more open soundstage. Bass are reduced here in comparison. Both of these sibilance are at minimum. I was totally surprised by how clean the Momentum is as I tried the HD598/518/439 and it all have noticeable sibilance especially the HD518. 

I hope this help and thank youn
Billson 

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #53 of 104
If you like the Momentums, you might as well like the MDR-1R. Personally, I prefer the MDR-1R better. Neither of these two are analytical to me. If you are looking for something detailed, take a look at the UE6000 but anyway. The MDR-1R sound smoother, a little bit more open soundstage. Bass are reduced here in comparison. Both of these sibilance are at minimum. I was totally surprised by how clean the Momentum is as I tried the HD598/518/439 and it all have noticeable sibilance especially the HD518. 

I hope this help and thank youn
Billson 

It will specifically be something I use in the office and possibly during travel for general music and the occasional movie, but travel will be a lot less likely. I don't want it to really be analytical. If I need that, I'll use my AD700 or K702. I'd rather it be a little more laid back, relaxing, and fun. The MDR-1R sounds like it's that.

With the 1R and Momentum being pretty efficient, they don't really need an amp, but did you try them with one? If so, did the signature change much? Did you perform any burn in with either of them and if you did, was there a noticable difference?

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #54 of 104
Quote:
It will specifically be something I use in the office and possibly during travel for general music and the occasional movie, but travel will be a lot less likely. I don't want it to really be analytical. If I need that, I'll use my AD700 or K702. I'd rather it be a little more laid back, relaxing, and fun. The MDR-1R sounds like it's that.

With the 1R and Momentum being pretty efficient, they don't really need an amp, but did you try them with one? If so, did the signature change much? Did you perform any burn in with either of them and if you did, was there a noticable difference?

Apologizes, I didn't get to try them with an amp as I don't own one but in the future, I might for my IEM. Both are fully burned in when I put it up. :)

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #55 of 104
Ugh. No one seems to have the MDR-1R in store to be able to demo. So frustrating! May have to just blindly pull the trigger.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #57 of 104
I hope they have good return policy! Good luck! :)

Hehe. I'm hoping I shouldn't have to use it, but you never know. Knowing I really loved the Momentum's sound, what reason would you find for me to not like the 1R's?

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #58 of 104
Hello Billson, just a question, if i didn't like the Sennheiser Momentum because it was too unconfortable and i didn't like it's sound sig what would you recommend? (other than UE600, too expensive in Europe)

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #59 of 104
Quote:
Hehe. I'm hoping I shouldn't have to use it, but you never know. Knowing I really loved the Momentum's sound, what reason would you find for me to not like the 1R's?

To not like? Hmmmm.... The bass are not as strong as Momentum although still strong. It's not as fast as fast Momentum in attack speed! :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #60 of 104
Quote:
Hello Billson, just a question, if i didn't like the Sennheiser Momentum because it was too unconfortable and i didn't like it's sound sig what would you recommend? (other than UE600, too expensive in Europe)

If you don't like the Momentum, then you might like the AKG K550. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back