Mystery Box.....
May 5, 2002 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

Clubkill

100+ Head-Fier
I had an idea, while talking to carlo on the IRC channel (sorry if this is not a new idea):

We all have CD's that have fallen out of favor, or we listened to too much, and basically we just do not listen to anymore. These CD's are deadweight to us. So: We start a box shipping around to people who want to be involved (moving from region to region) that is filled with some number of unwanted cd's that members don't want. When it arrives at your house, you have a week or whatever to listen to all of them and take what you want, so long as you replace them with an equal number of cd's that you no longer want. As this makes its way around, gradually the CD's should find the right homes, and simultaneously everybody listens to some fresh music.

Basic rules of course:
No skippy cd's/burned cd's etc.
Nothing that is really really bad (i.e. a new kids single or something)
etc.

If everyone plays fair, it is a good oppertunity to get rid of some unused stuff, discover some new music, and have some fun for just the cost of the shipping to the next person.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Edited 5/10/02:
Hey head-fi members, this is a go now. Read on if you are interested and make a post or PM Audio Redneck if you want to be part of the first tour!

Edited 5/24/02:
The first box is off and running, the second to follow soon. Follow along with the post to watch as the boxes wind across the country bringing people musical bliss, and PM audio redneck if you are interested!

Edited 6/7/02
Boxes are streaking across the country as we speak. Follow this link to hear about user's experiences or post your own:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&postid=141193

Continue to PM Audio Redneck if you are interested.

May 5, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 83
You know, that's a pretty good idea. Anywhere I would say no, but everyone here seems to be trustworthy and honest. Maybe some kind of information needs to be taken up for each member in the deal or something... just in case, if something does happen, then the rest of us can all run to his/her house and beat them.
wink.gif
But, I like all my CD's so I guess I'm out... unless I just wanted to listen to some CD's while paying for shipping.

May 5, 2002 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 83
I have thought about it some more. Obviously you would have to be in my position where you have enough cd's that you are almost guaranteed to like something better than he ones you have. I have some cd's that have fallen out of favor that I would trade blindly for any cd of the jazz or classical genre for example.

It would go something like this. Ayone participating sends one junk cd. Whoever organizes it puts them all in a box, and makes out a route for the box to follow so nobody has to ship it a long way. Then the box makes its way around evolving, and maybe growing if anyone wants to put some extra stuff in (or a stick of bubble gum as a treat YUM!).

If everyone is honest, and tries to put in something that makes for a good variety, I think it could be a successful venture. It could also be set up so that each person only knows who to send it to, not who they are getting it from, so you can leave some goofy stuff in without fear of persecution.

I think at the very least you get to try a bunch of music, and at the best you go from a handfull of cd's you never listen to, to a hadfull of cd's that aren't so bad. I would exchange my cd's at a music store, but the exchange rate is pretty bad, and it would no be as much fun.

I know there are people out there in my same situation.

May 5, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 83
I think the rule should be that you have to put one CD in more than you take out. That way, the collection keeps growing...

To get this started, I think a pilot group of us would have to be willing to part with some CD's to get the collection started and not get any for a while until the box can start to make the rounds.

I'm game to put in a few mathoms from my collection to get the ball rolling...what about you guys?

May 5, 2002 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 83
Like I said, I have a lot of cd's that I never listen to, and if I got 20 new ones for 20 old, at least that is 20 more plays that my current ones are getting, so i am willing to jump-start the collection so long as it gets back to me somehow. The only problem is finding a balance between a lot of cd's and more selection and the cost to ship them. However, if there are enough people on board the shipping would just be a few hundred miles at a time, so it would not be too bad.

I realize that some people are a little better about listening to CD's first before they buy them, but I am sure there are enough people that would come on board to get some new stuff if it got rolling. Plus people could do goofy stuff and draw pictures on the box and track its movement cross country on the forums. I fell bad buying more CD's until I have cycled out some of the old one I never use.

May 5, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 83
See what great ideas come out of the IRC channel? Everyone should join!

Use these servers:

irc.qeast.net
irc.easynews.com

The easynews.com server has been very stable for me, and the qeast is fast to get on, and pretty stable. So come on guys!

May 5, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 83
I think this is great idea! I don't have very many that I don't listen to but I have a few. No classical or jazz or opera but I got a few Rock N Roll cd's. A week would be enough time for me. I am uncertain about the leave more than you take idea, but for sure don't take more than you can put in.

May 6, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 83
You could include headphones and other audio equipment plus
with that put more in than take out rule you could end up with
one hell of a trailer full of stuff pulling up outside your home.

Who knows what weird stuff could end up in there.....
eek.gif
eek.gif

sounds fun
biggrin.gif

[especialy when you consider the international angle]

Setmenu

May 6, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 83
Count me in. I didn't think I would be able to praticipate, but I just looked in my cd collection and noticed that I have a good number of cds that I don't care for.

The only problem is that I don't have cases for all my cds, would this be ok?

May 6, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 83
count me in to! Finally, somewhere to dump those damed little feat albums that I got for xmas last year
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 83
Good ideas/suggestions everyone. In a few weeks when schools are done and I am back in the states I promise I will get this thing off the ground. In terms of what you could and could not do, I think a lot would come down to karmatic balance. If you really find some stuff you like in it, you might just want to leave one more than you take. CD's without cases could be ok (maybe leave one or two extra). I can't speak as to what genre there will be, especially because it will change from week to week, but if you go in with the idea that there has got to be something better than what you have (whether it be a duplicate CD or whatever) than you will find something.

I see no reason why audio equiptment could not be included. If you have some unused gold adapters or something I am sure they could find a home too. Keep the ideas coming, and if you want to participate, make a post so I know that you want to be included. Keep the ideas coming.

Mystery Box Tour 2k2!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back