Mystery Box.....
May 9, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #31 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
Maybe you could have different boxes for different genres?
That way, we could save some weight on the box.
Maybe, classical, rock and jazz? I think most music could be condensed that way.
Or perhaps multiple boxes that are just under the weight for usps priority mail.
just a thought,
md

Well, actually, saving weight on the box would work better if they were all shipped in the same box. Its that first pound that costs so much, then the cost per pound goes down until you get above a certain size box and weight.

And you might be surprised how many CDs would ship priorty mail for $5. I us priority for most of my auctions and am surprised at what I can ship for the price.

But what I can see is that if the box gets over, say 100, that we start a second box. That way, through more than one box, and if the box has too many, keeping it for more than a few days will be a problem: either you won't get to sample enough, or you will keep the box so long that you tick off the guys waiting on it. I mean, who wants to get on the list and it be 6 months before they see the box?

May 9, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 83
It looks like this could be getting started sooner than I thought. Audio Redneck has the enthusiasm and time to get it started before I get back to the states next month, so he will be the guy that will begin the planning and get it going. Anyone who wants to get on board should PM him, or make a post so he can contact you. Also, any last ideas would be helpful as well.

Tyll, that is a good idea. Talk to Audio Redneck (or the other way around). That could be a great way to get the box started.

I assume that AR will do a bit of looking into shipping costs etc., and that would probably answer many of the questions about exactly how this is going to work. It looks like there might eventually be a little website as well so you can follow the progress of the box etc. and know when to expect it.

I am sure we will work out a system so that anybody who can jump-start the box early with a group of cd's will get it (obviously the same number back) but also some kind of other benefit.

Keep the ideas coming and the box could be in a town near you any day now!

May 9, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #33 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck

But what I can see is that if the box gets over, say 100, that we start a second box. That way, through more than one box, and if the box has too many, keeping it for more than a few days will be a problem: either you won't get to sample enough, or you will keep the box so long that you tick off the guys waiting on it. I mean, who wants to get on the list and it be 6 months before they see the box?

I suggest we start a second box at 50. Even 50 cds is an awefull lot to consume in a week!

This is gonna be so much fun!

May 9, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #35 of 83
Fifty is alot for one week.
I think the smaller the number, the faster the turn around time on the box. Should we be calling this thing THE BOX? As in, "hey! who's got THE BOX?"
Now I can finally get rid of that bauhaus cd!
Just a thought,
md

May 9, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #36 of 83
Well if ya'll are ready to get started, lets go. Since we've got close to 20 ready to start here's what Clubkill and I were thinking:

*Team US and Team Europe.
*Elipsis, if you can get a team DownUnder going, go for it! If you can get a few guys and 25+ CDs coming this way, I'll make sure a box goes your way.
*Setmenu, since you are are in Europe, you may want to be point man for there. When Club goes back to school in the fall, he may be able to deliver a US box, otherwise, I'll work to handle shipping accross the "pond". PM if you are interested and I'll talk about details with you.
*Disturbed, I don't know quite how to handle you just yet, but pm me and we'll figure something out.

Now: Getting started.
1. Jeff suggested a pilot group and I agree. I have 4 CDs I was thinking about putting in (may come up with a few more). If the first group wants to send me there CDs I will limit my pick to 1 so that I don't take the cream of the crop (I know you all want those Chet Atkins and Phil Keaggy CDs
wink.gif
). I'll put together a list of who contributed and will put them in order of how fast there CDs got to me, and if they show up the same day, the person that emailed me first will get priority on the distribution list. If we come up with over 50 at the start, we may do two boxes.

2. The distribution list: First come, first pick. Since I got the first pick, I'll put myself at No. 20 or the last person before we attempt a border crossing. When you are ready to ship, you'll have a list, and if the list gets lost, you can contact me. Clubkill & I'll keep up with who has the box and where it goes, so you can check with us to see where the box is at and who is next.

If we agree do multiple boxes, I'll divide the list up among even & odd positions, so if the first person on the list gets box 1, the second gets box 2. When the boxes have made it through their list, they will get started on the other list. I'll make as many boxes as seems reasonalble.

3. The Mystery: Now do you want to know whats in the box or keep it a surprise? I suggest, I keep a list of what everyone put in and what gets taken out. That way, if you get the box and say "Wow! 50 CDs!" and someone else says "50? there were 67 when I shipped it to so-in-so", we know who to lynch
biggrin.gif
. I'll keep Clubkill posted, too. If you want to know, you can request a current title list and I'll send you a link - otherwise you can just be surprised.

4. Keeping the box. My suggestion is that you try to keep it more than 72hrs and 5 days at the MAX! I know that is not much time, but I think that you will probably be able to weed out some from the beginning and narrow your choices for review. If we start with 20, it could easily be 4+ MONTHES before the persons at the bottom of the list see the box So Don't Hog It!

5. Shipping. 100 CDs should ship for less than $6 via Priority Mail with a delivery confirmation (50 should be less than $5. Now, thats a cheap CD, especially if you find that gem you've been looking for, so I'd suggest shipping USPS Priority.

6. Who can participate. These things cost money. 50 cds can be $100 at a local pawn shop - more elsewhere. My suggestion would be: A) 25 posts to Head-Fi minimum (maybe 50 if you've been a member for less than a month), B)You must have filled out your Head-fi profile with a city and state that matches your shipping address(I think this should be a Head-Fi's/Headwisers only project). C) you must supply a home or work phone number the corrispondes to the shipping address. Non of these would prevent theft, but it would help to discourage it. Any thoughts?

7. Contributions: You must put in at least as many as you take out, and you must put in at least one more to get on the list for a "next pass". And no griping because the guy before you got the CD you wanted. If any of you "share" the box with your buddies (I kinda hope you don't, but if you do) we expect you to hold them to the same rule: 1 more in than they take out.

8. CDs: Playable CDs only - if in doubt, listen one last time. Include the disk the lable and the program notes. If the disk is in a cardboard case instead of a jewel case, include it. Place each disk in its own ziplock bag.

I see that Tyll has got enought to start two boxes by himself. Wouldn't getting one box a month be fun?

Do we want to eliminate any lables? Laserlight, for example?

Tell me your thoughts before we call it a go. I'll give Clubkill and Tyll veto rights to the above list as it was Club's idea (and I think we're all glad he posted it) and Tyll is prepared to make one WHOPPER of a contribution from the start (weird stuff or not).

I am also for mixing genres within each box so we get a variety. If some want a "gansta rap" and "deathmetal" box, no problem (but I'll pass on it
biggrin.gif
), but anything else I'd be interested in looking at.

And if someone esle wants to help co-ordinate this, pm me.

May 9, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 83
What are your thoughts about Case Logic CD sleeves? You know the type where you insert the CD front, the CD and the ends of the back cover ... I made the mistake a while ago of converting some CDs to this format. Now I have perfectly good CDs in these sleeves that need a new home.

P.S. Audio Redneck, am I on that list yet?
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #38 of 83
Audio Redneck,
I think there should be a minimun contribution for the first box. Say each of us sends in three or four cds as like a membership due.
What if I take only one cd from the box? Does that mean I must put two in? Perhaps a minimum exchange number before you must add one? (edit) Or maybe you got the right idea. Perhaps it should be that if you get the box you have to add one regardless of if you take anything. What's to stop me from just previewing and ripping the stuff I like and just sending it on it's way?
Honor system I suppose?
Other than those two points I think this idea is really firming up.
I think the person who gets the box before it goes back to the home office gets the better choices.
md

May 9, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #39 of 83
Way to go Au-di-o! (Redneck)

I am glad this is starting to happen.

A few suggestions to your big post....

1) The order people get the box is not really relevant, as the box quality does not get 'better' or 'worse' as time goes on. It really is more just who had it before you. Because of that I think that the box should move in a circle from person to person. This would keep down costs and shipping time (no cross-country shipments).

2) I like the mystery aspect personally, but if you have the time to keep up a title list, or at least a title count that would help. I think since they have to give their addy to recieve the box, there are enough head-fi'ers out there that somebody will be close enough to drive over and burn down their house if they try anything.
evil_smiley.gif

3) I could care less if you only take one cd and rip 40 of them really. It does not change the content for better or for worse. The idea was set up to get people to be able to trade in their CD's, but if you find a lot of stuff that is good enough to copy be a pal and toss one in huh?

Otherwise I think you have it pretty well knocked out.

Just think karma people. What you do to the box for better or for worse now could affect you for eternity........
evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #41 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
....What's to stop me from just previewing and ripping the stuff I like and just sending it on it's way?
Honor system I suppose?
Other than those two points I think this idea is really firming up.
I think the person who gets the box before it goes back to the home office gets the better choices.
md

Yes, The Honor System. That and you wouldn't have the liner notes, which, as you get older I think means more to you.

And yes, if you are toward the end of a list you are likely to have more to choose from. Kind of makes up for the wait.

Since you are in HI, it might be a good idea if we combined a few boxes and give you a little more time. I'd try to combine list members in HI so that ya'll could split the shipping off the island. Might be a good reason for an island get-together.

Getting back to a minimum to get on a list, I kinduv agree, but I know there are a lot of the young guys that don't have many CDs and we've ALL bought that "one" CD and two weeks later can't figure out why. So, even if its just one to get The Box, I'd say let them on (I was a starving student once myself).

So, unless I get alot of flak, Minimum Contribution is 1 OR a swap of SOMETHING THAT IS NOT IN THE BOX to be eligable for another box (I don't think any of us want to get a box with 10 copies of Britney Spears "Oops, I did it again").

May 9, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #42 of 83
So how many cds you want for the first box and where do I send them? Let's get this thing going!
Another good thing about this is that I get to replace some damaged jewel cases!

md

May 9, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #43 of 83
Jeff,

Yes, you are on the list and so is anyone who has posted to the thread, but I would like you (and anyone else) to confirm by sending me an e-mail (Subject: Mystery Box) to my audio_redneck hotmail account with your:
Name
Address
Phone Number at the address
Head-Fi handle.

As far as the sleeves go, I don't see a problem as long as you don't mind giving them up because you won't have a jewel case when you get the/a box. But, frankly, jewelcases are easy to come by (I have at least 10 empties laying around) and those handy AOL dvd cases work great too (I must have 20 of those)(you know Wal-Mart gets $1.95 for three of those DVD cases?!?).

Tyll,

If you don't want the hassle of breaking down 100 cds out of there jewel cases, if I get a willing assistant, you might sent them to him first to break them down and catalog them for you. (Anyone willing put in some time for first dibbs on the Headroom stack? Maybe pick up the stack at a WOH Tour stop?)

Millerdog,
50 is a lot, but I figure that out of that 50, you are likely to only be interested in 10-15 (unless you hit your "Musical Jackpot") which would cut down the you need for review. BUT if others agree, we can cut it down to 30-40 for starters as they are likely(hopefully) to grow.

May 9, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #45 of 83
Yes, my address is in my profile (I don't list it here because it is spam-free so far and I'd like to keep it that way)

Also, send a list of the CDs you are contributing to the first box. Artist, Title, and for classical any purtantant info. You can put in as many or few as you like (your paying the shipping), but contributing to the first means you'll see the box sooner, unless you request to be farther down the list.

Also, if it is clear multible boxes will be shipping, I will do what I can to see that as few of your contributions as possible get into your first box. I'll give more details in the e-mails including who is on the/a list.

I've got to sign off for the night, but I'll collect e-mails and try to have things ready for anybody to start shipping on Monday.

Clubkill, - good points
If its obviouse we will have more than one box, I'll "weight" the list by state to cut down shipping time/expence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back