"Mystery" Amp
Sep 11, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #556 of 570
Yeah, the tracking numbers were a bit of a pain for me too.

I still use this amp a lot with my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5Pros... It has a great fun sound while I'm on the go, and it fits perfectly under my 2g Nano.

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #557 of 570
One thing - the Amp is really great looking - Nice reflective surface very crisp clean, and smaller than expected.

xtrax1.jpg

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #558 of 570
It is a pretty amp.

In comparing the X1 to the mSeed and X4, I still prefer the sound of the X4. The mSeed is getting better, BTW. Hours of use seem to have a noticeable affect.

BUT, if you want an amp smaller than the apparent industry standard portable size of 3.15" x 2.125" x 0.91" or there abouts, I have no trouble recommending the X1 at this point. The size and low cost were the major motivators for my purchasing the X1 and I feel it is a good value at approximately $50 delivered.

Also note, the interconnect that came with mine failed after only 3 hours use due to the internal wires loosing contact. No big deal as I have others, but an issue to some.

I do notice the X1 lacks the punch of the mSeed and X4 - which does affect my listening pleasure.

Using an Iaudio 7 as a source, with MS1 and HD25 headphones, the X1 is "muddier" (I think is the term).

Question: have any owners been using their X1 for an extended time? Any long-term battery issues?

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #559 of 570
I have two and the batteries are working fine. The battery does not have soldered leads but has a connector, which is nice. I even purchased an extra battery when I got mine but haven't needed to use it but i haven't been using the X1 too much lately. I think it has a nice warm sound and does improve with use in SQ.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #560 of 570
Good to hear that the batteries last. I always worry a bit with non-standard size batteries.

We might be hearing the same sound characteristic and calling it differrent terms. The earlier in the thread comment as to a tube like characteristic is my "muddier". Clear, but not as snappy. An enjoyable amp none the less.

Also, I figured the sound would change with use. Hoping for a bit more "snap" in response.

I appreciate the reply, BTW.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #561 of 570
I've managed to find someone who are selling these for $55 shipped. I was just curious if there are any other different amps near this price point that would be better?

I plan on using this with my DT880s while I wait a bit and purchase a MKIII.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #562 of 570
I just pulled my X-1 out of the drawer after not using it for a few months (listening to podcasts, and audio books). The battery was dead, so I have put it on charge. Charging light comes on, but after leaving it going overnight, it will not turn on. I'm guessing the battery is maybe dead?

Anyone got any ideas?

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #563 of 570
Now that is a worry.

Well, I might try removing the battery and then seeing if it will come on with the wall plug. This worked with a razor I had.

Then, too, it could be the battery, the wall plug (not enough voltage let through), or maybe it needs a couple of days to recharge due to the limited amperage.

I noticed that with my mSeed, the recommended lithium battery would NOT power it on, but would power it after initially "jump starting" it with a regular alkaline battery. Therefore, I think a certain minimum voltage (or amperage) is needed to get the amp to start, but less to run. You could be experiencing a similar phenomena.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #564 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by mourges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled my X-1 out of the drawer after not using it for a few months (listening to podcasts, and audio books). The battery was dead, so I have put it on charge. Charging light comes on, but after leaving it going overnight, it will not turn on. I'm guessing the battery is maybe dead?

Anyone got any ideas?

This happened to me too. I e-mailed jasmine_chine over eBay and they said it was probably the battery. For $10 they're sending me a new one right now.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

Li-ion batteries can even go into a state that is known as deep discharge. At this point, the battery may take a very long time to recharge. For example, a laptop battery that normally charges fully in 3 hours may take up to 42 hours to recharge. Or the deep discharge state may be so severe that the battery will never come back to life. Deep discharging only takes place when products with rechargeable batteries are left unused for extended periods of time (often 2 or more years) or when they are recharged so often that they can no longer hold a charge.

I know mine was only unused for a few months, but maybe cheaper batteries deep discharge faster?

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #565 of 570
This deep discharge thing makes sense - I also pulled out an old mobile phone, unused for 12 months, and that has reacted the same way.

I'll send an email for a new battery as well. Makes me think, my next amp should have easy to replace batteries.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #566 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by mourges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my next amp should have easy to replace batteries.

It's a bit of a pain to get at, but by no means a hard job. I don't want to be doing it all the time, though.

Cycling the battery every once in a while when I'm not using it would be best I think.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #567 of 570
When I say easy to replace, I mean easy to purchase!! Rather than organising it to be sent from china *sigh*

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #569 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Proton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows where I can get a replacement battery for this? Apparently the one in mine became "bloated" and refused to charge.

Well it is a standard plug in but you do need to get the right physical size. Email the company. I purchased an extra battery when I got both of my amps and both original batteries failed after a short while.

May 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #570 of 570
I like this amp but cannot find a battery for it. I emailed Jasmine Chine and Uncle Wilson at Jaben but they no long sell the amp.

The battery I have for this unit has no markings on it and I cannot locate a replacement after weeks of searching. I think it is a 2 x 3.7 volt 500 mah lion battery but cannot be sure. Does any one know the manufacturer and model of this battery? It seems to be a non standard battery.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back