"Mystery" Amp
Dec 26, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #226 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Proton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, what other chips have you tried on it and how well do they fare?

I just gave a spin to the LM4562 before I settled with the AD8620. The former was very clear but lacked some fullness for my taste, as well as some musicality (in this amp at least, 'cause in the Xenos, paired with the warmer&fuller AD9631's, it's perfect). The latter tends to make up for the downsides of the former with its slightly better musicality and fullness, while nearly retaining all the cleanliness.

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #227 of 570
Andrea, but did you let the LM4562 burn in? :^) Those electrons may need a while for them to feel at home and get all cozy. When they are happy they may really bloom or maybe they won't like the neighborhood and be desirous of other accommodations and never bloom and in that case you did the right thing but who knows.?

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #228 of 570
Consider that both LM4562's (in the Xtra and in the Xenos) were equally 'fresh' and the sound of the Xenos (which still has it) feels coherent and not lacking musicality. I just think that the discrete buffer of the Xtra doesn't sound euphonic...at all; and the LM4562 is a little bit 'sterile' for itself; and doing the sum...

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #229 of 570
Oh and nonetheless the LM4562 sounded great in many ways in the Xtra. Perhaps with muddy-sounding 'phones...

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #231 of 570
Am I wasting my money by buying this of the English eBay?

Seems it comes to $105 including shipping. Too much of a hassle dealing with the eBay in Chinese if I can't even understand it and any online translation is terrible.

Any other good places to purchase from?

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #233 of 570
They can buy these in bulk for about 32.50 USD (I have no idea how they can make them so cheap even here in China) plus shipping to destination. So lets say $39.00 landed. There is some wiggle room there to come down in price. I bought an extra battery for the XTRA and it cost $5 here in China for one from the manufacture.

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #234 of 570
OFF-topic:

jamato8: Check your pm box, thanks
icon10.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #235 of 570
Ahhhh... finally managed to sit down and listen to the Xtra with AD8620 without haste.

Sounds great. It's powerful&dynamic, full and black between notes, intimate yet airy, clear, musical, unfatiguing. Just what I like. Great
smily_headphones1.gif

edit- Slight correction to a post above... The discrete output stage is innocent...it was just the LM4562 to sound somewhat thin & sterile...

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #236 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OFF-topic:

jamato8: Check your pm box, thanks
icon10.gif

Nothing there.

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #237 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered mine off eBay. Note to everyone, I managed to bring the English eBay seller down to $70 from $89 - you might be able to do the same.

I saw your auction - he previously turned down my offer of $65 and countered with $75. I may keep trying - although the reports that they do not ship with a US wall-wart is a bit distressing and means the total cost goes up a bit more. If my solder jobs didn't look like they were done by a Neanderthal with a hot rock I would probably try DIY...
eek.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #238 of 570
I don't know what there problem is. Even here in China they send it with an adapter that has the European prongs, which don't work here in China. The flat type, as used in the US and other countries like Nepal, you know the major players, oh and China, use the flat prongs with no problem. I soldered a short extension on mine with, of course the flat prongs. The AC adapter is nice and light though, which is good for travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back