"Mystery" Amp
Dec 28, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #256 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robfow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrea, how would you compare the mSeed Faith amp to the XTra?

I didn't ever get to hear the Faith AMP, eventually. Sorry. I'm still curious though
frown.gif

As for my Xtra X-1, it truly sounds excellent with the AD8620 in (I haven't heard the Headphonia, but I can say for sure that I find it far better than the GV5). The problem is, I modified it before even giving it a listen with the stock op-amp (call me irrational), sorry...
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #257 of 570
Haha...we all have our favorite opamps
smily_headphones1.gif
My favorite is AD797.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I modified it before even giving it a listen with the stock op-amp (call me irrational), sorry...
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #258 of 570
AD797...that is one op-amp that I'm sure I'd like. Too bad that I haven't had the occasion (read: suitable hardware
tongue.gif
) to give it a spin yet.

Dec 28, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #259 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With full-sized cans, I prefer the Headphonia, hands down. More neutral and transparent. The Xtra is seductive sounding, but I don't think it's really very neutral (remember that all mu comments always refer to the stock amps, since I don't modify/op-amp roll).

w/r/t the adapter plug for the Xtra, it's this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Just a little observation...

I can see how the LM6171 can sound more "transparent" than a (buffered) OPA2134, with its distinct upper midrange openness and slight bass lightness (all flavored with really good detail).

However, I though that the op-amp in question spoiled my music by taking away some of the emotion. The OPA2134 may not be as open, detailed, or silky smooth in the treble, but it's truer to the whole range of sonic colors found in music.

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #262 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordansugars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any ideas how this little fella might fair with the K501's?

IMO it might fare very well, with the stock op-amp I mean.

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #263 of 570
Just found one of these on eBay. The price isn't too bad. He was asking for $89 Plus $18 USD to have it shipped to California. There is "best offer" option. I offered $70 bucks, and received a counter-offer of $75. So i got out with $93 dollars for it instead of $107. It's not a bad price if this amp is what people are saying what it is. I just sent in my payment. I look forward to hearing it in a couple of days.

If any of you want to grab one of these state-side without having to deal with foreign language eBay or Western Union payments, now's the time to grab it. The seller put up 10 two days ago, and has already sold 4 of them. I have no doubt most of the buyers are Head-fiers. But I wanted to share the tip that you can best offer for $75.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2600&rd=1&rd=1

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #264 of 570
i posted a $70 offer, wonder if that will fly... i live in kansas so.

a question though, and please flame if you must - im new around here and have settled with my brother's old HD280 pros. they are my first audiophile headphones and decided this amp was the best choice for me and my budget (college student). these 280's are 64ohm, would the stock op-amp be good enough, or should i look into one of the others mentioned in this thread? i mean the LM or AD op-amp

EDIT:: hehe i guess this was my first post :O

Dec 28, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #265 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by brinox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i posted a $70 offer, wonder if that will fly... i live in kansas so.

a question though, and please flame if you must - im new around here and have settled with my brother's old HD280 pros. they are my first audiophile headphones and decided this amp was the best choice for me and my budget (college student). these 280's are 64ohm, would the stock op-amp be good enough, or should i look into one of the others mentioned in this thread? i mean the LM or AD op-amp

EDIT:: hehe i guess this was my first post :O

From what I've gathered in this thread. The stock OPA2134 opamp sounds pretty decent. There are some who have changed it out for other opamps to see how they sound, and from what I gather, it's been positive. However, the tedious nature of desolder and resoldering an opamp would probably discourage average users from doing so. It's not as simple as it sounds or looks, it's very easy to damage your circuit.

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #266 of 570
Just put a best offer in. With the strong pound against the dollar it works out at less than £50 GBP delivered.

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #267 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just put a best offer in. With the strong pound against the dollar it works out at less than £50 GBP delivered.

Plus possible VAT and handling charges.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #268 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybaek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've gathered in this thread. The stock OPA2134 opamp sounds pretty decent. There are some who have changed it out for other opamps to see how they sound, and from what I gather, it's been positive. However, the tedious nature of desolder and resoldering an opamp would probably discourage average users from doing so. It's not as simple as it sounds or looks, it's very easy to damage your circuit.

Exactly

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #269 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybaek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found one of these on eBay. The price isn't too bad. He was asking for $89 Plus $18 USD to have it shipped to California. There is "best offer" option. I offered $70 bucks, and received a counter-offer of $75. So i got out with $93 dollars for it instead of $107. It's not a bad price if this amp is what people are saying what it is. I just sent in my payment. I look forward to hearing it in a couple of days.

If any of you want to grab one of these state-side without having to deal with foreign language eBay or Western Union payments, now's the time to grab it. The seller put up 10 two days ago, and has already sold 4 of them. I have no doubt most of the buyers are Head-fiers. But I wanted to share the tip that you can best offer for $75.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2600&rd=1&rd=1

I purchased mine from that same seller for $100 shipped. They were really quick at returning my emails and were very helpful. For those of you who have already received this amp, how long was the turnaround time from the point you sent the money to the point the amp was shipped. I remember when I bought my LDM+ it took around 2 weeks before it was finally shipped. I hope this one won't take as long.

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #270 of 570
I payed $80 AUD (~$60USD) shipped last Friday and it arrived on Tuesday; pretty good considering it was over Christmas! I got it through the Chinese Ebay listing so it cost me a little bit to pay Western Union.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back