Mylar driver (gold plated) in HFI2400, an issue?
Aug 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MaximumSandvich

100+ Head-Fier
Ultrasone says that the HFI2400's driver is made of gold-plated mylar, but mylar itself is considered a low quality material for drivers, compared to, say, titanium or neodymium. Does this mean that the drivers are low quality?

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Grados are Mylar and they are pretty dam good, I own the Znos wich are also gold plated Mylar and I consider them exquisite little gems, I believe gold adds rigidity the new edition 12 are also gold plated while I haven't herd the ed10s they use titanium even stiffer and lighter then gold however gld is good at conducting and well they sound like gold ! They use nyiudim in the voice coil. For the elctromagnt.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Driver membranes are simply mylar ( or other specific plastic type ) atomized with titanium or whatever coating they feel like adding, such as gold in this instance. Diaphragms are certainly not made out of titanium.  Neodymium is a specific magnet type within the driver construction that drives the voice coil which is attached to the diaphragm, so nothing at all to do with diaphragms. been eyeing those 2400s myself, so tempting.

There was a pretty good deal posted in here from one of the sponsors. Here is the place.http://www.head-fi.org/t/671580/peachbudz-introduction
check back in one of the Ultrasone threads if you do get these and let us know what you think. Be sure to run them in a fair bit also.

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Driver membranes are simply mylar ( or other specific plastic type ) atomized with titanium or whatever coating they feel like adding, such as gold in this instance. Diaphragms are certainly not made out of titanium.  Neodymium is a specific magnet type within the driver construction that drives the voice coil which is attached to the diaphragm, so nothing at all to do with diaphragms. been eyeing those 2400s myself, so tempting.

There was a pretty good deal posted in here from one of the sponsors. Here is the place.http://www.head-fi.org/t/671580/peachbudz-introduction
check back in one of the Ultrasone threads if you do get these and let us know what you think. Be sure to run them in a fair bit also.

Thanks for the explanation, very helpful! They arrive tomorrow, I'll be trying them on out of the box then burning them in overnight for the next few nights, perhaps I'll write up how the sound changes, since gold is a very soft metal (people say that because titanium is hard, it is very stiff and hard to break in)

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 6
any impressions you decide to post ( or not
bigsmile_face.gif
) are good, don't need to use crazy language or descriptions, just what you think of them!  Congratulations. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back