My very first headphones... ATH-M50 vs HD25 vs HDJ-2000?
Jul 6, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Either will sound great out of portable sources. The HD25 will have more detail and punchier bass, but tends to be a bit too unforgiving and gets harsh/strident with some recordings. FWIR upgrading the cable gets rid of that weakness though.

The M50's bass on the other hand extends further without taking ver the midrange too much, and I enjoyed their dynamic and fun presentation too.

Comfort and clamping force are about equal between the two, though the M50 will have more isolation because it's circumaural.

have you tried a few different cables?.. if so which would you recommend?.. thinking of HD650 but only thing putting me off the the fact that it will require a Y connection.. would it be hard to mod a HD650 cable to have the LHS running through the headband?..

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 31
I haven't heard the 25's before but I do own the M50s , am well I'm pretty pleased with it :D
It has a pretty balanced sound , but sometimes I feel that the bass tends to be stronger , and the mid is abit recessed.
Otherwise they sound pretty good , controlled bass , detailed mids and distinct highs.

I run them on the iTouch unamped , and they sound pretty good on it.
And yeah , they will probably not sound good on first try , give them around 60~100+ hours burn in and they start to sound really good.

Comfort-wise , I don't really find it uncomfortable , but when you try to wear glasses with it , it really clamps alot.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 31
Realized that since I will need a pair for biking/skating, portability is a priority. And the 595s soundstage is really tempting.
I might go the sennheiser fanboy route, and get the HD25 for portability and the HD595 for home use.

How about the Pioneer HDJ-2000 for portable use? I know they're more money, but they're made of magnesium alloy - probably stronger than the "indestructible" plastic of the HD25. And I know the 25's have replacable parts. I've heard the comfort of the HDJ-2000 is better than the HD25, and that they sound great unamped. Pretty positive reviews on Amazon too. Anyone heard these or have anything to say about HD25 vs HDJ-2000? 

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 31
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=603&graphID[]=513&graphID[]=183
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=603&graphID[]=513&graphID[]=183

This is cool but not very useful

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #22 of 31
Yeah I was initially considering them, but as I'm in the prime of my life and trying to get girls, I took them off my list. I will pay more for better looking headphones.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
i don't understand how the m50s are so easy to drive?? it doesn't make sense looking at the specs.

What's wrong with their specs? 99db sensitivity and 38ohm. Looks pretty easy to drive to me.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #25 of 31
Lol thats a major diss at head-fi
rolleyes.gif

But I'm not gonna buy from skullcandy, for two reasons.

One, they sound like crap , especially for the price.
Two, they break within two months. You know how sweathouse plastic is...

But on the other hand, I'm not gonna go to high school wearing Stax 404s.

Ouch. I can already feel the anxiety.

So, I'm looking for the cheapest and best sounding cans that won't make my head look like a toaster.
I'm not gonna have a 17 year old's sex drive my whole life, its use it or lose it.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #26 of 31
Take a look at the Shure SRH750DJ (according to reviews they are better then the M50's), they are also very easy to drive and have a detailled and smooth sound with a pretty large soundstage (at least compared to my HD 25's) I also find them more comfortable then the HD 25, though they are not as portable and the build quality of the HD 25 is on another level.

It also depends on the sound sig you prefer, the HD 25 definitely do not have the "Sennheiser sound". They are quite bright and have a more "in your face" Grado-ish sound. Out of the box they can be a little harsh but this will improve with burn in and a recable (using HD 600 cable on mine). Overall i find the SRH750DJ more refined, but the HD 25 have a more involving sound which i prefer for some music.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #27 of 31
Pioneer HDJ-2000s are great looking and sounding headphones.

They are built by Fujikon in Shenzhen.  They are top notch sound and quality.  I have spent time with them and spent time at the factory where they are built.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
Take a look at the Shure SRH750DJ (according to reviews they are better then the M50's), they are also very easy to drive and have a detailled and smooth sound with a pretty large soundstage (at least compared to my HD 25's) I also find them more comfortable then the HD 25, though they are not as portable and the build quality of the HD 25 is on another level.

That depends on how the shape of your head is though, I've auditioned the SRH750DJ three times now, and I could not stand them for more than 10 minutes due to the pressure they exert on the top of my head.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 31
I'm going to post some observations which clash and agree with certain parts of different people's posts. Entirely based on my own experiences.

1. hd25s are easier to drive than m50s
2. hd25s have better instrument separation (perhaps due to being easier to drive and less 'boomy' bass. The bass is still there but it's very crisp and punchy)
3. m50s have better isolation. Yes I said it. Hd25s don't really 'seal' in the true sense of the word.
4. Even though the hd25s are more punchy and involved, I find them less fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time despite the 'harshness'
5. Comfort is a mixed bag with either.

It's odd that I prefer the hd25s generally based on SQ, because I usually prefer a less up front phone. Separation on the hd25 is actually really good. Even though I prefer my semi open hd668b for the type of music I usually listen to (analytical technical music.. ie psychedelic folk), I prefer the hd25 to the m50 -- which suggests my experience with the m50 is considerably different from most people's; or that they are using better sources than generic portable DAPS with mediocre amps (iphone 4 & nano 3g)

Hope it helps. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
3. m50s have better isolation. Yes I said it. Hd25s don't really 'seal' in the true sense of the word.

This is a first..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back