My very first headphones... ATH-M50 vs HD25 vs HDJ-2000?
Jul 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

budgetboy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey HF,

I'd like some help deciding on what are to be my first (and hopefully only) full size headphones, at least until I start making some real cash. My current setup is a Cowon S9 with Sennheiser IE8s, which is just awesome. I use this setup for both portable and home uses, and it's working out great. But I've heard all about the merits of full size headphones on this forum and want to give them a try.

So I'm looking for a set of comfortable, durable headphones that sound great without a headphone amp and won't be overshadowed by my IE8s. The Sennheiser HD25-1-II and Audio-Technica ATH-M50s have both recieved great reviews on many sites, so I'd appreciate information about those, but other recommendations are more than welcome.

I like the indestructability of the HD25s, and the fact that it may have sound similar to my IE8s is a nice idea. The portability would be cool as well, if i decide to take it places, but I'm not sure that I'll need it, and I'm a little concerned about the comfort, described as "clamping" on some sites.

The ATH-M50s, though, are a different kind of headphone altorgether. I like the way they look, and comfort doesn't seem to be an issue for people, but maybe I'd be missing out on the $200 Sennheiser sound I'm accustomed to with the IE8s. Considering I'm using them primarily as home phones, though, the ATH-M50 may be all I need and more.

And then theres the Pioneer HDJ-2000s. Many have called them overpriced, but many more have praised the sound quality, comfort, and durability of these headphones. If the magnesium-alloy components live up to their promise, these headphones could outlive me.

dt880smile.png
Please help me find the headphone of my dreams.​

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 31
Either will sound great out of portable sources. The HD25 will have more detail and punchier bass, but tends to be a bit too unforgiving and gets harsh/strident with some recordings. FWIR upgrading the cable gets rid of that weakness though.

The M50's bass on the other hand extends further without taking ver the midrange too much, and I enjoyed their dynamic and fun presentation too.

Comfort and clamping force are about equal between the two, though the M50 will have more isolation because it's circumaural.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 31
Good evaluation, I'm using FLAC and the S9 has a killer EQ so I'm hoping the HD25 will be a little bit more forgiving.

Are you sure about the isolation of the M50 beating the HD25? Because every review I've seen seems to rate the HD25's isolation very high, like 30db+

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 31
Circums inherently have an advantage over Supras when it comes to isolation. Unfortunately I've not heard the HD25s so I can't compare.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 31
HD25's are really more "trooper" headphones. They are very high quality, but they're better at just getting the job done right, lasting forever, and it's hard to overdrive them. The latest HD25 model, the 1 II's, are designed primarily to be DJ headphones, so they're made to have good sound attenuation and loud, clear output that can handle huge venues. They're used by all kinds of popular DJ's. So, bottom line with them is, there are definitely better-sounding headphones out there, but the HD25's have succeeded at being really long-lasting, high quality and tough for the money. I would recommend them over the Audio Technica's, but it really depends on where they'll be going. I need mine to DJ and take around to different places. If you're going to just listen to them sitting down or in a relaxed environment, then I don't think you need HD25s. 

EDIT: and the Sennheisers are on-ear, not around-ear. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 31
What is your budget like by the way? I'm assuming it's somewhere around $100 to $200 US. Personally, since you already have IE8s for portable use, why not get a big open can instead for home use? I realize there's an allure to being able to bring these big cans around, but in practice you tend not to as it is just not convenient. IE8s you can stuff in a pocket and be done with. None of these big cans can be given the same treatment.

That said I don't know what to recommend for big open cans at $200. It seems you are looking more for a bassy headphone. I'm thinking the M50 is already the best value for you to get.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 31
for home use the m50s are probably best
but for portable use the senns are brilliant, isolation is good, they also dont leak much sound.
& if you choose to go for the senns dont worry about the clamping, velour pads help (all though you do lose some isolation) 
& you can stretch them out easily, they get more and more comfortable with every hours use :) 

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 31
If you are worried about the clamping of the pads on the M50 you can always stretch them out and then buy the super comfy 840 pads.

I own the M50s and truthfully the clamp doesnt bother me at all.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 31
Thanks for the responses, I'm getting a better idea of what I want.

I'm not exactly a basshead, but the ATH-M50s look like such a bargain that I'm not as concerned with getting a balanced sound. I think the HD25s are out, Mochan made a great point about portability not really factoring into this purchase. I really enjoy the security of having a durable headphone though, that's part of the reason I got the IE8s.

So how about the Sennheiser 595s? I know they're supposed to have a better soundstage than the M50s, and that the M50s have better bass, but are the 595s durable enough to really last? And would I be missing out on said soundstage without amping? If so, it's gonna have to be the M50s for me.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 31
M50 is your best bet, they sound great unamped. You will get your M50's and probolly will not like the sound, allow them to burn in and they will sound great!

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 31
The HD595 will last - no problem - and you very likely would find it much more comfy than the M50 or HD25-1 II. And, you should have no problem enjoying its larger soundstage from your Cowan S9. So - which of these would you enjoy the most? 
Quote:

So how about the Sennheiser 595s? I know they're supposed to have a better soundstage than the M50s, and that the M50s have better bass, but are the 595s durable enough to really last? And would I be missing out on said soundstage without amping? If so, it's gonna have to be the M50s for me.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 31
The HD 25's hands down. I'm surprised you, or anyone for that matter would compare the HD 25's to the M50's. They both come from two very different classes, which is demonstrated primarily through price.

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 31
Ive owned both.. sold the M50 for the HD25..  im very happy with the HD25s for portable use..  Though id agree that the M50s would be more suitable for home use..  for portable its HD25 by far.  I found the M50s to be too big for portable use anyway- at least when walking around..
Still yet to try different cables but am quite happy with the stock cable..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back