My time with a SuperMacro 4
Jun 5, 2006 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bobjew

100+ Head-Fier
Last Tuesday I received a nice package in the mail. It seems I have received one of the first production SuperMacro 4's from my friend and amp builder Xin Feng.

As one who has heard just about every version of Xin's amps since the very first ones; the ex-rocket scientist has cooked up his masterpiece. That's an exaggeration, of course, because he is sure to still have more amps and electronic trickery up his sleeves, but this is his very best now and sometimes I truly feel that way when the goosebumps surface.

The amp has been playing almost constantly since last Tuesday and now has over 100 hours burn-in. It sounds great in stock form. Mine came with Buf 634 buffers in Hi C mode with an OPA 2134 opamp.
I felt no need to change anything about this arrangement. The soundstage is big precise and layered, Bass is powerful, fast, deep and tight, slightly forward with a sweet midrange, and sweet sweet highs. Temperature tends toward warm and sunny.

Flashback to notes last Tuesday and beyond...
The 4 is excellent right out of the bag. Soundstaging and detail retreival is striking but rather opaque.

Hours 4-5- SM4 begins to loosen
Hour 60- A light glaze of brightness covers the sound scape. The soundstage comes forward and sibilence can go white at this point.
Another day or so- the brightness starts to give way to transparency and greater detailing.
90-100 Hours- the brightness is gone, sibilance sounds like it should, microdetail, air and ambience abounds.

Today...
Listening to the great Indian Jazz percussion master Trilok Gurtu "The Beat of Love", just about any cut Bass is fantastic, no need for stacked buffers here.
Hiromi- "Another Mind" incredible piano playing reproduced with realism and power.
The Elysian Fields "Queen of the Meadow", Hearts are Open Graves, excellent separation and resolution. TEF can get mushy and blobby sounding very much like The Cocteau Twins.
Diana Krall-"Girl in the Other Room" excellent sibilance control- DK can get hissy fast.

Aethetically, the front of the 4 has a new type volume knob, front allen screws, power on/off switch. Mine didn't come with the four switches option as I don't need those functions.

The new power switch is really cool, I thought because it lights and blinks different colors to indicate power, and all the different battery charge modes. The only problem with this light over the previous straight blue LED on the SM3's is that its difficult to see in sunlight, even inside a bag. The new volume knob is excellent inside a bag because its shorter and smoother so less likely to auto-move if it brushes up to something inside there. It did with the v3. It's amazing how flexible and movable a portable system can get. The new screws on the front are neater, more minimal and doesn't remind me of bicycle toe clip screws.
Besides the way this thing sounds, open up the 4 and this is where the real art lies, a real exercise in form follows function. The worksmanship is really jewel like with all those tiny components perfectly soldered onto the immaculately laid out traces and tiny boards. It all looks like a miniature city seen from a aerial view.
Another neat new design feature is the battery guides which are now integrated onto the main circuit boards and fit into slots in the case for pleasant and precise battery insertion. The battery contact springs are also redesigned to create more intimate contact with the batteries which I am glad for because I have had battery problems on previous verions. The only "rough" spot left I can see are the copper contacts on the back of the rear battery panel as they still look too "hand-made" for want of a better expression. They work fine though. Oh, since the back panel hardly ever needs to be removed anyway, maybe a pair of those screws from the front panel can be substituted for the thumbscrews in back. I think it may look cleaner.

For this write up the SuperMacro 4 was connected by a modded Headphile Black Diamond (modified for portable use) interconnect to a Vinnie Rossi I-modded 60gb Ipod out to Sensaphonics IEM's.

Nothing better than taking a walk these days!

Bob

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 18
great news, bob, thanks for posting!

and good to see you 'round these parts again
biggrin.gif

now, if you'd be so kind as to pull out one of your awesome cameras and snap some pics for the greedy audience
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 18
Bob,

I received my SM IV last Friday after much back and forth with Xin in the upgrade process (from my orginal SM3). We had a slip-up in cases so he sent me a new SM IV to tide me over whilst he changed cases and did some more final tweaks. I was never without an amp! Can't beat that for customer service. Like you, I too have a Red Wine iMod (only difference is the Wyvern AG16 IC, and ending in a pair of AKG DJ81s or a Drew Moon recabled KSC75.

Glad to hear about the improvements with burn in, although it's hard to believe how good it sounds out of the "box" (of course, I have no idea what Xin may have kept in op amps from the SM3, if at all. I will need to ask him and get back to you).

Thanks for the great post.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 18
I miss hanging out with you, Nanahachi, had a chance to come down to the Palisades, but business got in the way. Are you ever up? I will do some shots with the Leaf back if I can figure out how to post photos here. I was going to take some for Xin anyway. Still can't do it well after all this time!

Kiwirugby, I have been curious about Alex's (Wyvern) cables, what do you think of yours, are they mostly constructed from silver wire?

Xin Feng, Vinnie Rossi, Larry of Headphile, three exquisite gentlemen with insanely great products that create amazing synergy when connected together IMO!

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 18
Great review.

I just ordered one. It will go well with my Red Wine modded Pod and sensa
wink.gif

I can not find the dimensions. I am hoping it will fit in a giga bag

Thanks

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 18
bobjew,

Yes, the Wyvern AG16 is all silver, I believe (sixteen strands). Really crystal clear. Of course is it the iMod, Xin's SM4, or the Wyvern??? Or some synergy between all three??

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 18
John:

Outside dimensions are:
Lenght- 3 7/8" from the tip of the knob to the back of the thumbscrews
Width- from the the outside edges of the thumbscrews in the back- 2 1/4"
Depth- 15/16"
Any SM should easily fit in a Gigabag- Congrats on your new purchase , be interested in hearing what you think about the 4 as well.

kiwirugby: You have a good point there, Today it sounds more like the Imod than the amp- could be me, though.

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 18
bobjew, it is funny you like that volume pot. My III Version 6 (early 2006) came with it and I ordered one of the older knobs he used to put in his amps. I did it so my fat fingers could grab the volume knob better.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 18
So how does it sound with your Etys? Have the same IEMs using with a 5g Ipod. Wondered how the amp would sound with Etys. Input please

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 18
marroyo: Yeah, I agree the old knob is easier to grab by a long shot, but I had problems with it moving too easily in my bag. One trade-off and pref for another, I guess.
tnmike: I will take my 4s's to work today and have a run down for you later

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
So how does it sound with your Etys? Have the same IEMs using with a 5g Ipod. Wondered how the amp would sound with Etys. Input please

They sound great together. The bass boost is a welcome addition.

Dr. Xin told me that for the kind of sound I like (detailed with punch) to try the 8620 w/ buffers. Well it is on order
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 18
...close to 200 hrs. of burn-in, and the SM has become more transparent up and down the range including the Bass. It doesn't seem like its going to change much from here. Sounds excellent! I thought yesterday that the highs may have sounded somewhat repressed but I had a rough day and it may have been my own judgement not being 100%. Checking in this morning, (day off) everything sounded great on the Etys as well as the Sensaphonics. I found myself enjoying the music and having as much fun with either phone.

One thing, the Sensas are more efficient than the Etys and I'm listening with the Sensas with the volume knob at 11:30-12:00 position. With the Etys to get approximately the same volume, I'm at 2:30.
If this would bother you, let Xin know what phones you would be using and he can adjust the amp for you.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjew
...close to 200 hrs. of burn-in, and the SM has become more transparent up and down the range including the Bass. It doesn't seem like its going to change much from here. Sounds excellent! I thought yesterday that the highs may have sounded somewhat repressed but I had a rough day and it may have been my own judgement not being 100%. Checking in this morning, (day off) everything sounded great on the Etys as well as the Sensaphonics. I found myself enjoying the music and having as much fun with either phone.

One thing, the Sensas are more efficient than the Etys and I'm listening with the Sensas with the volume knob at 11:30-12:00 position. With the Etys to get approximately the same volume, I'm at 2:30.
If this would bother you, let Xin know what phones you would be using and he can adjust the amp for you.

You know, I am glad you posted the volume pot setting. With my AKG K701 or my Senn HD600 I have my volume pot at 9 to 9:30 and I am happy. I must listen to very low levels as compared to you.
confused.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #15 of 18
Sensas are quite known for their extreme sensitivity, just as a UM2 or UE-10 Pro; all in the range of 120dB/mW SPL and very low impedance. The only thing I'd understand in case you turn it up to like 1 o'clock, is when your source has a very low power output. Is this the case? I couldn't barely touch the volume knob on my amp (no Xin) when hooking up my UM2. Just to note: the volume on my source was all the way up, but it's still a European capped Awai PCDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back