My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Mar 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #155 of 516

Quote:
i sold my Sony S755 + fiio e5 and was planning to buy a cowon J3, until i saw this on the market.
can anyone tell me which is generally better? cowon j3 or sony A866?

i like instrument separation and drum beats, but still i want a clear sound with huge soundstage.
how does BBE compare to Sony's S-Master MX amp? i haven't heard bbe, so i dunno.

Well, the BBE is a sound enhancement featured in the Cowon unit.  From my memory, it is pretty impressive.  However the S-Master MX is a digital amp inside the X, A, and Z series walkman.  Unlike other players, these Sony units don't have a DAC.  It is basically the same technology as their Flagship HT receiver back in the early 2000, the Sony STR-DA9000ES ($4500).  I doubt any player beside the DX100 and H801 can compete with the Sony without the use of external amplification.  You can read more about it here.  I have the Z1060 right now and its headphone output is a noticeable upgrade from my X1060.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/ES_STR_05_Final.pdf

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #156 of 516

I have the A865 and have the Z for a week now.  The A865 is good,  the Z puts out the best sound I have ever heard from any portable source.  Every time I've bought (and returned) a cowon (the X5 and the S9 I couldn't shake the digital (not exactly sure if this is the right way to describe it) feeling of the sound, also poor UI compared to other players.  i have not used the J3 although have played with it at BH and I would say the UI is an upgrade.
Quote:
Well, the BBE is a sound enhancement featured in the Cowon unit.  From my memory, it is pretty impressive.  However the S-Master MX is a digital amp inside the X, A, and Z series walkman.  Unlike other players, these Sony units don't have a DAC.  It is basically the same technology as their Flagship HT receiver back in the early 2000, the Sony STR-DA9000ES ($4500).  I doubt any player beside the DX100 and H801 can compete with the Sony without the use of external amplification.  You can read more about it here.  I have the Z1060 right now and its headphone output is a noticeable upgrade from my X1060.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #157 of 516

Quote:
I have the A865 and have the Z for a week now.  The A865 is good,  the Z puts out the best sound I have ever heard from any portable source.  Every time I've bought (and returned) a cowon (the X5 and the S9 I couldn't shake the digital (not exactly sure if this is the right way to describe it) feeling of the sound, also poor UI compared to other players.  i have not used the J3 although have played with it at BH and I would say the UI is an upgrade.

Thanks for your input as I'm thinking about buying the A867 for myself if fund is permitted.  If the sound comparison b/w the two are true, the Z may just have more real estate to house a better or beefier version of the S-master Pro MX amplifier inside the unit.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #159 of 516

Quote:

Enjoyed reading documentation. Has it been confirmed in any way that the S Master in X, Z and A series is based on the tech from those receivers? Is the A series really that good? 

Quote:

I would probably go for the Z1070 as it seems to be the most logical upgrae from the X, but battery life on Android and its huge size (almost the same as my phone) is a bi no-go for me. If I were to get something huge I would get DX100. 

I am really torn between flac support, uSD and great battery life of the Cowon J3 and the A867/ Z1070/ DX100. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #160 of 516

Quote:

Enjoyed reading documentation. Has it been confirmed in any way that the S Master in X, Z and A series is based on the tech from those receivers? Is the A series really that good? 

I would probably go for the Z1070 as it seems to be the most logical upgrae from the X, but battery life on Android and its huge size (almost the same as my phone) is a bi no-go for me. If I were to get something huge I would get DX100. 

I am really torn between flac support, uSD and great battery life of the Cowon J3 and the A867/ Z1070/ DX100. 

Well, the "S-Master Pro" was the code name for Sony Digital developed back in the early 2000's.  I'm quite sure it is likely the same technology otherwise, why using pretty much the same name.  My X & Z are really great sounding especially the Z.  The Z has no business sounding this good without any sound enhancement.  You can also use Poweramp app to play FLAC so I see that as non issue.  Sadly, Sony went conservative on us and decided not to export the 1070 w/ 64GB of on board memory to any where beside Japan.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #161 of 516

Quote:
Well, the "S-Master Pro" was the code name for Sony Digital developed back in the early 2000's.  I'm quite sure it is likely the same technology otherwise, why using pretty much the same name.  My X & Z are really great sounding especially the Z.  The Z has no business sounding this good without any sound enhancement.  You can also use Poweramp app to play FLAC so I see that as non issue.  Sadly, Sony went conservative on us and decided not to export the 1070 w/ 64GB of on board memory to any where beside Japan.

Yeah, well. The whole thing with limited memory because of no SD slot, not flac support on A series and the hugeness of the Z I am more and more thiking abotut DX100. It has its own issues though.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #162 of 516

Quote:

Yeah, well. The whole thing with limited memory because of no SD slot, not flac support on A series and the hugeness of the Z I am more and more thiking abotut DX100. It has its own issues though.

Honestly, the DX100 should and must sound quite a bit better than the Z given its form-factor.  Still, the Z1070 + Headamp Pico may still be smaller and cheaper as well as better sounding than the stand alone DX100.  I'm only speaking of headphones out via top flight IEM of course.  I personally would love to get the DX100, but it just too thick for me to be portable.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #163 of 516

Quote:

Honestly, the DX100 should and must sound quite a bit better than the Z given its form-factor.  Still, the Z1070 + Headamp Pico may still be smaller and cheaper as well as better sounding than the stand alone DX100.  I'm only speaking of headphones out via top flight IEM of course.  I personally would love to get the DX100, but it just too thick for me to be portable.

No amps for me. I've already been there and with IEMs or earbuds I see no need for one in most cases. Thickness itself is not as big an issue as the fact that you cannot charge fit from a portable battery pack. 

Z1070 is a PMP and I do not really need such capabilities as I carry a tablet around just for movies anyway. 

Seems like J3 and A series should still be quite high on my list :)

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #164 of 516
Just signed up here to let UK residents know that Advanced MP3 Players have a limited time deal (about 35 hours left, as I write) on the 64GB A867 for £199. Unfortunately, they can't offer this deal to Europe (don't know about ROW).

Been looking to upgrade from my old S639F - which I dearly love - for a while now. This was too good to miss and has kept me from the clutches of the ubiquitous iPod......  :wink:

I'll follow up with my opinions when it arrives.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #165 of 516

Quote:
Just signed up here to let UK residents know that Advanced MP3 Players have a limited time deal (about 35 hours left, as I write) on the 64GB A867 for £199. Unfortunately, they can't offer this deal to Europe (don't know about ROW).

Been looking to upgrade from my old S639F - which I dearly love - for a while now. This was too good to miss and has kept me from the clutches of the ubiquitous iPod......  :wink:

I'll follow up with my opinions when it arrives.

Thanks for this.  Do you happen to know if they ship to USA?  I did place an order but not quite sure if they will be processed and ship here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back