My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Dec 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #136 of 516
I just got this player the 16GB one in white. But I cannot find the setting called "Clear Bass" does it not exist for this player?

I have found: DSEE, Clear Stereo and Dynamic Normalizer

thanks

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #137 of 516
If it's anything like the X1060, the Clear Bass is part of the manual user equalizer. In that same menu, just to go 'equalizer', then to one of the custom ones where you can adjust the slider bars for the different bands, and the Clear bass is hopefully at the bottom of that screen.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #140 of 516
Dynamic normalizer can make some music sound quite compressed...

Basically, it makes the quiet bits louder, and the louder bits quieter...  it can be quite noticeable at times...

DSEE isn't really required if you have high bitrate rips (although it does still make a difference) - it boosts bass and treble, as these are normally what are stripped first from low bitrate rips...

Clear Bass 1 is fine, but - if you do 2 or 3, be prepared (if you listen at high volumes) for the sound to be compressed when loud (bassy) things happen in your music (the Sony players compress the sound rather than clipping it if the internal amp runs out of steam)...

Clear Stereo is generally quite nice, gives a very slighy lift to the sound, I do have this on...

...The easiest thing to do is try it yourself, there is ultimately no right or wrong answer :)

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #141 of 516

Quote:

Sony have already tried it and everyone was disappointed. I prefer products that concentrate on one function and do it realy well than products that have a ton of half-baked functions.

i do not remember the model name?

I do not need ton of half baked functions. only internet radio app! Z1000 does have this, but size and price of this walkman is too big.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #143 of 516

Quote:
Hmm...

I feel disappointed...

Without doubt, as the OP mentioned, the soundstage and seperation are improved over the X, that being said - this (UK model) player definitely doesn't have the drive of the X, nor does it have the soul, emotion, or warmth...

It sounds much more analytical than soulful - great for some people for sure, but - i'm not so sure it is so great for me...

...Then again, I have been known to post initial impressions and then do a complete about turn further down the line - so, you never know :wink:

...Anyway - my initial impression is that I am glad that I have two X1060s :)

Sorry for such a late and odd reply, i had the x series and i believe the mx amp has'nt got the darkness???? in the sound like the x series, for that matter no other player i had, has that SOUL/WARMTH in its sound reproduction like the x series had. However whike i loved that about it, the was times were i thought it was a tad bit too unnatural, although very pleasant to listen to, especially in the low end of the spectrum. in my opinion  the  mx amp lost a bit of the darkness and added a bit more analtycal oomph.
darthsmile.gif
 which like you said great for some. not so others.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #144 of 516
How much time is your battery lasting? I think I got a defective battery as its lasting around 10 hours (EQ + DSEE + Dynamic Normalizer + Clear Stereo). I'm totally disappointed with this, as my previous X1060 battery used to last 30 hours or so. Do I got a defective battery? :s

BTW, the EX-300 sound is much more than just "decent", its awesome for a $50 IEM. Very, very good for the price, especially bass and mids. Powerful, deep bass (more quantity than the YAMAHA EPH-100 and UM3X), with forward, warm mids. A real surprise at this price range. The only downside is treble, but I still got 24 hours of burn-in (although I don't think it will change much from this point).

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #145 of 516

Does anyone know where can I get the SONY Walkman A867 (the 64GB A series) and does the Japanese A867 support English (menus can be changed to English)?
I prefer the English version.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #146 of 516
Hey guys,

I was thinking of buying the 32gb version of this (NWZ-A866). Currently, I am using 3rd gen iPod touch in combination with Fiio E5. The earphones I am using are Sennheiser IE8 and Klipsch Image X10. 
How does the sound compared to my current iTouch/E5 combi? Will there be any improvements in terms of sound quality? If there is, could you explain how improved will it be?
I guess I'm not quite familiar yet with the technical jargon, so if you could explain it in a less technical way that would be helpful.

Thanks a lot guys!

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #147 of 516
i sold my Sony S755 + fiio e5 and was planning to buy a cowon J3, until i saw this on the market.
can anyone tell me which is generally better? cowon j3 or sony A866?

i like instrument separation and drum beats, but still i want a clear sound with huge soundstage.
how does BBE compare to Sony's S-Master MX amp? i haven't heard bbe, so i dunno.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #149 of 516

Quote:
How much time is your battery lasting? I think I got a defective battery as its lasting around 10 hours (EQ + DSEE + Dynamic Normalizer + Clear Stereo). I'm totally disappointed with this, as my previous X1060 battery used to last 30 hours or so. Do I got a defective battery? :s

No, this is quite normal.
The A86x series is barely better than the A84x series, battery-wise. You can't have this form factor (ultra-thin) and get a nice powerful battery.
The X1060 is a brick next to them.
I would also prefer to have at least 20 hours at battery life, but this is not seem as a concern for the primary target of these DAPs: Japan.

Quote:
Sony Europe has it.
But it is pretty expensive though!
€349
http://www.sony.fr/product/nws-a-series/nwz-a867

Not more expensive than a 64Gb iPod Touch or 64Gb Cowon A3...
Everything in Europe is expensive, Sony or not. What Americans pay in dollars we pay in Euros, if not more (add VAT and other taxes).
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #150 of 516

Quote:
Not more expensive than a 64Gb iPod Touch or 64Gb Cowon A3...
Everything in Europe is expensive, Sony or not. What Americans pay in dollars we pay in Euros, if not more (add VAT and other taxes).
frown.gif

J3 got expandable memory with marathon battery life & the iPod touch is a smart audio player/device thing.
Sony's pricing is unfair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back