My Temporary Solution to the HD 650's Weak Pads
Nov 20, 2010 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Satellite_6

1000+ Head-Fier
I just thought I would share, for anyone who cares.

First, a story: When I first got my HD 650s they had a strong clamping force and over time the pads bent outwards and became squished, ruining the soundstage. After this happened I was able to carefully bend the pads back into shape, thank goodness, and the clamping force had subsided due to use. Recently I used the technique to loosen the headband by stretching the metal parts of the band, further reducing the clamping force, and I also added rubber bands around the pads to prevent them from bending out. For now it is working beautifully, and I hope it can keep the pads in shape: 

The key is to get the size of the rubber band just right, you don't need a lot of pressure or the pads will deform in the opposite direction. I really don't feel like paying $50 for pads anytime soon. I don't think this has any noticeable effect on the sound.

That's all. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 4
Great tinker stuff.

But why did you use yellow bands, didn't you have pink ones at hand?
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 4
See the link in my sig about adjusting the clamping force of the HD650, HD600, and HD580. These headphones should be properly adjusted right front the start to minimize wear on the pads. 

I've also used rubber bands around the pads - but with the Ultrasone Proline 650. Its effect was a bass boost, which was a whole lot of fun with electronic music. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Great tinker stuff.

But why did you use yellow bands, didn't you have pink ones at hand?
tongue.gif

They are actually green, my favorite color. :p Bad picture. . . 

Yeah, I probably should have bent the headband when I first got them!

I really don't know what Sennheiser was thinking when they designed these things. . . they still manage to be pretty comfortable tho. . . after much use. 

I don't think this affects the sound, I'll add that to the original post. . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back