My take on the K701 and comfort of headphones
Jun 21, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #61 of 72
As a new owner of K701, I must say that one of the first things that struck me was the complete opposite of the original post in this thread.

This headphone is supremely comfortable to me. It must really suit my head/hair as I can barely tell they're on my head. Large soft cups fully contain the ears and the self adjusting mechanism/padded headband is gentle, precise and secure. A fluffy white cloud of sonic goodness on my head!!

For comparison, I find HD650 to have an almost nausiating clamp and rigidness. The plastic Grados are acceptable, bar the badly designed Y-cord getting in the way.

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #62 of 72
Alu,

I know what you mean. There are some parts of the earpads that touch some sensitive places around my ears which i really hate. I can't explain it. It's bloody irritating cos they sound so good. Maybe the cups are just too round. I prefer the shape of the 580/650. I don't think the clamp is bad at all.

That said, i think the ath-ad2000 beats all of em in comfort and SQ.
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #63 of 72
I have to say I've always found headphones uncomfortable, every pair I've ever owned except one. I dislike supraaural as I cannot stand the feel of stuff on my ears. Circumaural are not generally much better as they tend to have some kind of pad inside that rubs on my outer earlobes. They also get warm and sometimes exert a bit too much pressure. The biggest bugbear for me is headbands though. Any headband that is narrow or has a limited contact area gets really painful for me in a very short time. Stax makes the best headband I've ever come across and is totally pain free, however, it still has that foam pad inside that rubs my ears.

I wish someone would design some cans that are angled out at the back like our ears are so they don't contact anywhere. Preferably with a wide, fabric headband that molds itself to your head for maximum contact area.

To the OP, I doubt very much you'll find the Senns any more comy than the AKG. I disliked wearing mine intensly.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #64 of 72
My head has been raped by horrifically uncomfortable headphones. So now, anyting feels comfortable, be it a CD3k, akg 701, grados, dt880s, hd650s, whatever. You name it, it's comfy for me :p

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #65 of 72
I think I'am like the second person here on headfi who's having an issue with the comfort of those K701's Because of that, albeit the great sound, I've almost totally stopped using them and stored them back into the box. The clamping force is not as strong as that on the HD650 but it seems that the really hard pads are contacting the area where my jaw hinge is (behind and below the ears area) and its very uncomfortable and painful even for 10 mins...Is there anyway to solve this problem?

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Alu,

I know what you mean. There are some parts of the earpads that touch some sensitive places around my ears which i really hate. I can't explain it. It's bloody irritating cos they sound so good. Maybe the cups are just too round. I prefer the shape of the 580/650. I don't think the clamp is bad at all.

That said, i think the ath-ad2000 beats all of em in comfort and[size=small] SQ[/size].
tongue.gif

I agree with you on SQ but definitly not on comfort. The clamping force is a little too tight and my ear tips touch the drivers which can be sore and painful after long periods of listening. The L3000's and the GS-1000's are the most comfortable but the L3000 is a little heavy and my neck will be sore after some time...When can we have headphones that float close to your ears ?
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #67 of 72
I have AKG K501's and find them very comfortable. Aren't these similar physically as the K701's?

I see many people commenting on the clamping force of the Senn 650's, but isn't the headband adjustable? I think I saw a post here on how to do it.

Another problem for some people is that after a while their ears 'cook' inside the phones (excessive heat build-up). I think the extra size of the AKGs may aleviate this.

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #69 of 72
Just got my K701's in the day before yesterday. For me I dont have any problem with the headband. I really like the self adjusting mechanism. I just have a problem with the clamp. It seems to be a combination of too much pressure and also the pads being a little stiff. For reference, I find my HD595's to be very comfortable. As of right now, I would not be able to do any long listening sessions with the K701. They sound and look awesome though IMO so theres no way I'm selling them. Hopefully theyll just loose up a bit with use.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #70 of 72
I know this post is a little old, but as a new K701 owner, I must agree that these are not nearly as comfortable as my DT880s or HD650s. In terms of comfort, the Beyers are amazing. I could wear those things all day. My problem with the 701 is the pressure exerted from the headband. On the top of my head, right in the middle, there is pressure which is uncomfortable after a period of time. These headphones are fairly new. My question is: does the headband break in and become more comfortable.

Thanks

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Comfort ranking for me.

1. DT880's (just about perfect)
2. K701 (top of head is the pain point)
3. HD650 (clamping force too high)

Completely agree with this rank. DT880 is sooo comfortable compare to my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back