My take on the K701 and comfort of headphones
May 26, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
It works wonders on brand new crunchy Grado bowls. Also, you could try washing them, which also makes Grado bowls a lot softer inside....

I was thinking about washing them actually. I guess I'll figure out some way to make them more comfy, and if not, well there's a whole world of headphones out there...picking their moment.

May 26, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #47 of 72
I second the recommendations for the Beyer DT770/880/990. (beware the Pro versions though, they tend to put you in more of a death-grip.) Otherwise - so soft and luxurious! After putting up with scratchy Grados for many years, sometimes I just sit and enjoy the comfort of my new 770s ... even when there's no music playing ...

Hope nobody's reading this ...
rolleyes.gif

May 26, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #48 of 72
I can take some pictures of the pads on my 701's tonight, but if some one wants to do it earlier just press the pads in, get a firm grip, turn them counterclockwise, and take 'em right out.

May 26, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #50 of 72
I'm sorry guys, but I think that these threads on headphone pain are kind of silly. Most of the people that complain of headphone pain must wear them like all day without any breaks. I consider myself a real lover of music - but I don't listen without ceasing. Just take some breaks from listening. You shouldn't do anything without taking breaks. It's not like these things were made to wear like clothes. Your ear drums definitely need breaks, so maybe it's a sign to stop listening when your head starts to hurt.

May 26, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
I'm sorry guys, but I think that these threads on headphone pain are kind of silly. Most of the people that complain of headphone pain must wear them like all day without any breaks. I consider myself a real lover of music - but I don't listen without ceasing. Just take some breaks from listening. You shouldn't do anything without taking breaks. It's not like these things were made to wear like clothes. Your ear drums definitely need breaks, so maybe it's a sign to stop listening when your head starts to hurt.

I guess you don't love them like we do
It's another level of love, baby
evil_smiley.gif

24/7 or bust

May 26, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #52 of 72
Actually, I'm not so sure if it has anything to do with love - more like obsession. As a professional musician, I've dedicated countless hours of blood sweat and tears to music and I love it with all my heart. If you truly love music, you should also be prudent and protect your ears - take breaks for Pete's sake! You'll end up enjoying it longer.

May 26, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Actually, I'm not so sure if it has anything to do with love - more like obsession. As a professional musician, I've dedicated countless hours of blood sweat and tears to music and I love it with all my heart. If you truly love music, you should also be prudent and protect your ears - take breaks for Pete's sake! You'll end up enjoying it longer.

No breaks! No sleep! 24/7!

I agree, protect your ears
Eat healthy
Exercise

May 26, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #54 of 72
I see the HD650/600 comfort as better short term compared to the K701, but worse long term; the K701 allows me the "forget you're wearing it" feeling after awhile of having it on. The HD650's fairly plush and soft at first, but then eventually the clamp would get to me, I'd think.

May 26, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I see the HD650/600 comfort as better short term compared to the K701, but worse long term; the K701 allows me the "forget you're wearing it" feeling after awhile of having it on. The HD650's fairly plush and soft at first, but then eventually the clamp would get to me, I'd think.

There's also the massage aspect
The bass on the HD650s can be pushed to where they dance on your head and massage the sides of your head.

Taking this into account, I would say I prefer the HD650 when music is actually playing.

May 26, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

As for the comfort, I think using the word "uncomfortable" is pretty much an understatement. The pads on the 'phones are applying pressure onto some places on my head that it makes me stop enjoying the music and worry about the headphone itself. It's not something that I can ignore easily as I thought I could a couple of times. Long periods of usage just can't happen here. And here I thought I had a normal head

I've noticed one or two claims of discomfort/pain recently, but this is where you can use the K701's perfectly round cups to your advantage (if you haven't tried already). I've found tat keeping the headphone in a perfectly perpendicular position adds pressure to the top of my head, but rotating them too far back makes them slip. Try to find a perfect (or less imperfect) medium.

Here's a neat trick I recently discovered: flex the cups outward before gently putting the cups on your ears. It cuts down on the pressure by about 30% (I don't know how I came up with that number), which might be enough.

May 26, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Well for me the pain with the K701 starts at about 1-2 hours of usage, which is really not a lot to me. When using my speakers I sometimes listen to one album after another for various hours in a row, I just love this hobby that much. I guess I also wouldn't be investing this much if I'd randomly pop in a song or two a day.

And about the eardrums, I guess that's more of a volumedependant thing, and with headphoneusage I listen at very cautiously low levels.

May 26, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

People's eardrums aren't hurting, it's that the phones are placing too much pressure on certain areas of the head. Some people experience discomfort. Others don't. And it's not necessarily because they were listening too long. It has to do with the shape of the head and sensitivity.

Your post=ignorant.

May 26, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #59 of 72
Jeez, I feel so stupid and ignorant. Thanks for the wise words threEchelon.

May 27, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #60 of 72
1. I listen to my music at over 6 hours at a time! with no fatigue wutsoever with the 701s 2. I've used both 650s and 701s, and comfort is purely based upon head shape and size. I, having a "narrow" head, have no clamp problem with the 650s nor the top pressure of the 701s that you guys have expressed on. 3. 701s are darn expensive in comp. to 650s? I dun thik 280 dollars is too expensive for a brand new pair :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back