My take on the K701 and comfort of headphones
May 24, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Have you seen the pictures of them? They essentially HAVE Beyer pads. The main difference is that the foam on the K701 pad is a little harder, but I'd imagine it'd pack down with time, wouldn't it?

I've never tried the beyer pads but I imagined that they would be very squishy. Is that not the case? Are they more like the 701 pads?

I'm trying to find a solution to my comfort woes. I experience discomfort on the toop of the head, on the end of the jaw, and the neck just behind the jaw (this place is a very sensative area for me with headphones).

Edit: The phones are actually more uncomfortable now that the pads have formed to my head.

May 24, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #32 of 72
I owned the HD650 and now own the K701 (preferred the sound).

The HD650 clamps like crazy when you first get it, and any small movement often makes the swivels on the earcup<>headband joint creak annoyingly. But after wiggling that joint and manually stretching out the headband, I found them to be the most comfy headphone I've ever used. The cups are smaller than the K701 like everyone says.

The K701 is much lighter in weight (at least to my noggin). I got the "single point of pressure" problem with the headband. Just added a small amount of material taped over the band to fix that (ugly but works). The thing that REALLY got me about the K701 was the massive earcups. First of all, in an ideal world (for me) the headband would be about an inch shorter because at it's most "retracted/shrunken" state, I still wish it was a bit more compressed because the ear cups sit only just a bit low on my face for me (considering the size). Proof of this is that after my first extended use (5 hours), the next day my jaw ached like someone had punched me! I couldn't figure out what caused it until I got home and put the cans on again and went "OOWWWW!" It's like the earcups are angled in too sharply (even taking into consideration they adjust). I've since stretched and fiddled with the headband, and also turned the earcup sections slightly, using the pivots where they join the headband. Seems much better now and I haven't had the ache again. Maybe I have a small head. The HD650 could be "compressed" for a much smaller size head.

HD650 wins in terms of comfort for me (after a bit of break-in).

May 24, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #33 of 72
As my Headfi handle implies, comfort is important to me; I wear headphones all day long when I'm in the office. That is what first sucked me into buying Triports; they are sooo light and comfortable. To bad they aren't better at reproducing music.

Anway, the K701s are very comfortable to me. There is a pressure point on the top of the head, but it does not bother me. I can see how it could bother some people, however.

May 25, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #35 of 72
I have one small problem with the 701s that I experienced with the Senn's 555s. It's not with the headband but rather the earpads. My head is not less wide and my face is not abnormally large but I larger ears and I think because of this the earpads sometimes sit on my ears or if I push them down vertically then sit on the bones in my face - both fitting positions cause distraction (small pain). Every now and then though I get a good fit.

Q: Is my face shape and sizing changing?
icon10.gif

May 25, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
I would not describe my 701s as comfortable. They did improve some when I stretched them out overnight on one of my speakers - but now they clamp a little too loose, and fall down over time, so be careful with this.

Now, I WOULD describe my 701's as very comfortable BUT...I feel like I almost have your problem here at times. They fit well on my head but sometimes I feel like they're almost "too loose" and I wish I could make a minor adjustment of sorts.

May 25, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I tried them again for one hour, I think I really want to keep them because of the sound, and sell/trade them because when I'm removing them from my head I have this liberating feeling, while it should be the usage of the headphones that should give me that. But I guess that's the fun thing about this hobby, well...except for the pain thing...

I like your sense of humor in the face of adversity; made me chuckle!
580smile.gif

May 25, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
I owned the HD650 and now own the K701 (preferred the sound).

The HD650 clamps like crazy when you first get it, and any small movement often makes the swivels on the earcup<>headband joint creak annoyingly. But after wiggling that joint and manually stretching out the headband, I found them to be the most comfy headphone I've ever used. The cups are smaller than the K701 like everyone says.

The K701 is much lighter in weight (at least to my noggin). I got the "single point of pressure" problem with the headband. Just added a small amount of material taped over the band to fix that (ugly but works). The thing that REALLY got me about the K701 was the massive earcups. First of all, in an ideal world (for me) the headband would be about an inch shorter because at it's most "retracted/shrunken" state, I still wish it was a bit more compressed because the ear cups sit only just a bit low on my face for me (considering the size). Proof of this is that after my first extended use (5 hours), the next day my jaw ached like someone had punched me! I couldn't figure out what caused it until I got home and put the cans on again and went "OOWWWW!" It's like the earcups are angled in too sharply (even taking into consideration they adjust). I've since stretched and fiddled with the headband, and also turned the earcup sections slightly, using the pivots where they join the headband. Seems much better now and I haven't had the ache again. Maybe I have a small head. The HD650 could be "compressed" for a much smaller size head.

HD650 wins in terms of comfort for me (after a bit of break-in).

Exactly! It's the jaw thing that also got to me. I guess I will try some tweaking and I will try some HD650 after all.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #40 of 72
Comfort impressions are the same as sound impressions, always subjective. Everyone has other ears and heads.

For me I had to widen up the headbands on all my phones. But most the Alessandros and the 650s. The 650s did pressure to strong against my jaw, so I got headache. But I just placed them on my lamp and now they're perfectly comfortable. The Alessandros are very critical. I have to find the perfect position, and that can take some time.

In 2 weeks I'm able to compare the K701 with my other cans.
icon10.gif

May 25, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #41 of 72
I found the K701 to be much more comfortable than the Senn 650, of all the headphones I've tried I think only the Sony SA5000 fits as well. My problem with the 650 is the headband, after a couple hours it feels like it's pushing a dent into my skull, and the top of my head feels funny for a 20-30 minutes after an extended listening session. The only way to get around it is to lie down so I can have the headband floating free from my head. I had no such issues with the K701, to me it's light enough that I barely notice it, and it spreads its weight out nicely so there's no pressure points.

May 25, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #42 of 72
I twisted them around a bit. Also pushed the upper ends of the pads some more onto my head, thus removing the pressure from the jaw. It's more comfortable now, but still not really what I'm looking for over long periods of music listening. I guess manipulating the 'phones does help. Need to figure out some more stuff here. I read the following in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
From my memory, the main difference is the hardness of the foam inside. The K701 pads are a bit more rigid, and I think the fabric is a tad less soft to the touch.

However, I really don't think the pads are interchangable. Maybe you could try taking off the K701 pads and leaving them squished under a book for a few hours? That ought to help the foam out a little bit. They'll spring back to full volume in a few days, and will probably be more squishy.

If there's a way to make the pads only slightly more "squishy", then I don't think that I would have any problems with them, especially in the jaw region.

May 25, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #43 of 72
It would be great to get some top of the line memory foam (Tempur Pedic) and make ear cups and headbands out of that stuff. Not a mod I'd have the skills to attempt, but it sure sounds comfy.

Heaphone manufacturers, if you are reading....

May 25, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
If there's a way to make the pads only slightly more "squishy", then I don't think that I would have any problems with them, especially in the jaw region.

It works wonders on brand new crunchy Grado bowls. Also, you could try washing them, which also makes Grado bowls a lot softer inside. I've never taken off K701 pads though, so I don't really know what other parts come with them. Make sure you dry 'em carefully after though, all the way through. You don't want them to end up moldy inside, do ya? 20 seconds in the microwave dries a Grado bowl pretty well with no melting (or any other seemingly negative consequence), but I dunno what the fur on the K701 pad is made of, or if it would melt.

Also, if you DO decide to wash the K701 pads (and I really think this will help) be sure to use a very mild smelling soap.

Speaking of all of this... can anyone take off their K701 pads and snap a few quick pictures? I think this might help. I do think with all confidence that if they contain foam, they can be broken in to your liking. I have not encountered a Grado pad that couldn't be!

Oh yeah, and the SA5k. Talk about overdesigned. The cups felt great and the whole thing was so weightless at first... but after a while it feels like it's drilling directly into your scalp from above! And the sound changes way too much when you re-adjust it...

May 25, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
My problem with the 650 is the headband, after a couple hours it feels like it's pushing a dent into my skull, and the top of my head feels funny for a 20-30 minutes after an extended listening session.

That's just what I meant. The HD580/600/650, along with the old HD5x5 series, have rather narrow headbands, and once stretched out they are rather top-heavy so to speak. I have already increased the effective width by wrapping foam around the headband (the headband pad itself is dead flat), but the pressure on top is still noticeable. The HD590's headband is widened (weight distribution is pretty even between earcups and top), and the HD540, while having rather shallow earcups and quite a bit of clamping (takes a while to get comfortable with if your ears stick out a bit), has a wide inner headband to distribute that bit of remaining weight well (has a low hairdo messup factor, too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back