My take on MDR V6
Jul 26, 2010 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ehreiyc

New Head-Fier
SO I read every review on these headphones before buying them, and had a lot of preconceptions about them before I bought them off Amazon. Just some things I felt were different from what everyone else was saying about them:

First, the build. Everybody praised how rugged it felt. The V6's are very light, and on top of that have these swinging hinge thingies that make me feel like I'm holding some kind of mechanical eel. When people said 'rugged' I expected something very stiff and heavier. I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just a lot more looser that I thought it would be.

Second, the sound. I haven't worn them for very long, maybe 10 hours so far only, but I expected a very round, warm sound that would be perfect for acoustic music from these. I thought it was more of a veiled sound; okay, that sounds bad. A better way to describe the sound from the V6's would be that they seemed to mix all the sounds together rather than showing individual instrument sounds.

The Cord, also, was very surprising. I got the coiled cord, and it is incredibly long; I've been using my friends SR60 and was very taken back by how much of the cord there was. The coil is actually very fun; while at the library I get distracted from pulling the thing down and watching it sway :/

Everyone commented on their comfort. I must repeat, these are extremmmely comfortable. I fell asleep wearing them the first day I got them, listening to Lullaby of Birdland by Ella Fitzgerald. And the pads seem a lot more sturdier than people say; my friend has had these for a couple of months and reports no sign of wear or tear.

Though my review might seem negative, I am actually more than please with my purchase. The leaking sound from the Grado's has never appealed to me, especially because I spend time in the library. The sound is good even right out of the box; I am interested in seeing how this will change with time. And though people might say otherwise, these do have a certain look that is very attractive. All in all, very happy with my first headphones :)

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, the overall feeling of them is sturdy - no creaking, aluminum housing of the drivers, plastic parts feel strong too. They can last a lot of time. The problem with the pads is that they disintegrate with time, not right away. Though, mine teared open the second week I got them. (so I'm going to be trying some srh-840 pads)

I wonder how you came to expect a warm sound, when in pretty much every related thread on this forum there's a mention of how too bright they are :)  I agree about the instrument separation and IMO it could be these cans' biggest flaw. The sound easily gets congested with some songs, especially in the midrange. Mainly with faster rock/metal with lots of instruments and effects.(of what I have tried at least, but I don't listen to much of that, so it doesn't bother me usually)

Anyway, I like mine too even with the flaws. They are comfortable for long listening periods and I like how the vocals/voices are always in front of everything else (due to being bright in 2 to 3khz range maybe?), so I can hear voices in movies/audio tracks very clearly (I use them for translating too).

And congrats on the new phones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back