My take on LCD-2 and HD800
Feb 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #31 of 149
So in that sense I guess I won't be getting the HE-6.  After listening to the LCD-2 and finding its shortcomings, and having a bass not much different from HE-400, I thought HE-6 might be the answer.  Guess it isn't.

The first thing I noticed about the LCD2 was its mids tbh.  I didn't notice its bass until I was hearing some tubas and contrabassoons. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #32 of 149
Good read, Maxvla. I think you were very fair and spot-on in your comparisons. 

These two make great companion pieces in my rig, and I haven't found another headphone that's made me trade in my LCD-2 quite yet (as a compliment to the HD800, at least). It seems that I do enjoy the LCD-2 more than most folks here, then again I don't judge the two using the same report card. I love the HD800 for its resolution, transparency, expansive presentation, and dynamics. The LCD-2 ticks my boxes on occasions I want that warm, liquid, holistic experience -- especially instances where I want to passively listen.

Quote:
The chain you have these headphones jacked into determines the divide between the two. Stifling the HD800 will obviously level the playing field for the LCD-2.

+1 

This point can't be stressed enough, as the LCD-2 does hit a ceiling while the HD800 seemingly scales to infinity. I was quite a skeptic about the benefits of quality amping and the transparency of upstream gear until I went to a big meet and plugged my HD800 into everything

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #33 of 149
Quote:

That's mostly a component of soundstage.  By dynamic, I speak purely about how much one-noted the bass is-- or lack thereof.  LCD-2 is extremely tight in its bass reproduction, drums and orchestral instruments are rendered without a hint of bloat, yet very forceful.  HD800 on the other hand, doesn't have bloat because it lacks the amount of bass it should have to be neutral, especially down low.  This is why I often feel people say the HD800 has more 'bass texture' than the LCD-2.  What they think is more bass texture is ultimately less bass and more upper harmonics of bass instruments coming through as a result of it.  At the end of the day for me, the LCD-2's bass has the most dynamics by being able to completely hide any bloat when it shouldn't be there, yet coming out of nowhere with a huge thud of force when the song calls for it.  HD800 isn't able to do that as well.

HD800 has more extension than the LCD-2 with a good amp?  I doubt an amp is able to change the physical limitations of a headphone, and if so, then the LCD-2 should benefit from it just as much, if not more.

I sort of agree and disagree with this. 

The LCD-2 does have very clean bass, especially with electronic music. With acoustic music that has more higher order harmonics, the HD800 renders that better than the LCD-2. 

With regards to dynamics, the bass seems overdamped on the LCD-2. The greater dynamic contrast of the HD800 (lower --> higher volume) gives the bass more impact compared to the LCD-2. The Audeze sounds a bit over-damped compared to the dynamic thump of the HD800 bass hits. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #34 of 149
I'll echo the sentiments regarding the HD800's bass rendition. It's a strength IMO, and often overlooked when this headphone is discussed. Bass on the HD800 extends deep, and is tight and nuanced, whereas the LCD-2 is homogeneous. The LCD-2 smothers every track with its fat, overbearing bass.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #35 of 149
Wow I can pretty much agree with you on the LCD2.2 even though I much less experience overall.  The bass is one of the strongest points of the LCD2.2 and is sooo good, but...it's also a problem point for me.  Like you said sometimes the volume levels of instruments vocals etc all sound like they are on the same level.   That it feels a little linear and boring, and add on the fact of the rolled off treble, there is little sparkle there.  I sit there in my chair feeling too comfortable almost that I just drift off to sleep.  This is also why I won't like the LCD3s if they are even darker.  Or the bass would be too thick at times and intrude on the vocals.  I love vocals more than bass I guess.  The next headphone I was looking for should have a slightly rolled off bass, slightly bumped up mids, sparkle in the treble but not too much.  Looking at the FR graph of HD800, it pretty much matches what I was looking for and hearing your subjective impressions makes me just want them even more.  

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #36 of 149
Well written review.

Can't say that it makes me want to swap my LCD2's for an HD800 though. If your descritions had been less dramatic it could have been more believable. It reads like someone who doesn't like the LCD2's at all. Your false objectivism has fooled some, but not all :wink:

The LCD2 for me is not about technicalities. Its simply not! It is about the pure and intimate enjoyment of music. Only it; delivers the music in a warm liquid like gloop, encompassing the listener in a way that renders them numb to artificiality's that wouldn't normally show up in the music. Artificiality's that can easily become distracting and focused upon more so than the more important emotional aspects.
These leather clad predators envelope the listeners ears (and most of their face) like two gorillas hands, holding the recipient helpless as it induces an allegoric fusion where component and animal almost transmogrify in an illusionary state of consciousness. You become the headphone. Or indeed, the headphone becomes you.
The Bass is what bass should be, it is deep and impactful, warm and seductive. It cups its leathery hand on your scrotum and gently squeezes when the double bass is slapped, or the cello's crunch in unison. The mids suck you into a small but perfectly assembled stage. A stage that is lined with dark red velvet on all sides and candle lit. Light shines through the dimly lit room. But not too much. Not enough to see the dirt.
A warm intimacy befriends the lonely here, a place for everyone to hold hands and hold each other naked. Not far away there is a sweet voice calling out. The treble is your best friend. It will never get angry, no matter how bad you treat it. It is there when you need it, but never more so.  But be warned my children, as given half the chance it will and without hesitation gently caress your whole body with a wet and oily tongue- leaving nothing but goosebumps in it's wake.
A whole is present here. Every 'thing' is one. There is not a 'wall of sound' but a 'whole'. A whole that carries your weary mind away at the end of long days. Held as in a mothers arms and protected. Protected from a cruel world below. A world where robots have the rule. A cold place.

Just saying..

(and not to be taken seriously under any circumstances)

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #38 of 149
dra·mat·ic  (dr
schwa.gif
-m
abreve.gif
t
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
k)

adj.

1. Of or relating to drama or the theater.
2. Characterized by or expressive of the action or emotion associated with drama or the theatre: a dramatic rescue at sea.
3. Arresting or forceful in appearance or effect: a dramatic sunset.
4. Music Having a powerful, expressive singing voice: a dramatic tenor.
5. LugBug's over the top description of the Audez'e LCD-2

Well done!

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #39 of 149
Quote:
Well written review.

Can't say that it makes me want to swap my LCD2's for an HD800 though. If your descritions had been less dramatic it could have been more believable. It reads like someone who doesn't like the LCD2's at all. Your false objectivism has fooled some, but not all :wink:

The LCD2 for me is not about technicalities. Its simply not! It is about the pure and intimate enjoyment of music. Only it; delivers the music in a warm liquid like gloop, encompassing the listener in a way that renders them numb to artificiality's that wouldn't normally show up in the music. Artificiality's that can easily become distracting and focused upon more so than the more important emotional aspects.
These leather clad predators envelope the listeners ears (and most of their face) like two gorillas hands, holding the recipient helpless as it induces an allegoric fusion where component and animal almost transmogrify in an illusionary state of consciousness. You become the headphone. Or indeed, the headphone becomes you.
The Bass is what bass should be, it is deep and impactful, warm and seductive. It cups its leathery hand on your scrotum and gently squeezes when the double bass is slapped, or the cello's crunch in unison. The mids suck you into a small but perfectly assembled stage. A stage that is lined with dark red velvet on all sides and candle lit. Light shines through the dimly lit room. But not too much. Not enough to see the dirt.
A warm intimacy befriends the lonely here, a place for everyone to hold hands and hold each other naked. Not far away there is a sweet voice calling out. The treble is your best friend. It will never get angry, no matter how bad you treat it. It is there when you need it, but never more so.  But be warned my children, as given half the chance it will and without hesitation gently caress your whole body with a wet and oily tongue- leaving nothing but goosebumps in it's wake.
A whole is present here. Every 'thing' is one. There is not a 'wall of sound' but a 'whole'. A whole that carries your weary mind away at the end of long days. Held as in a mothers arms and protected. Protected from a cruel world below. A world where robots have the rule. A cold place.

Just saying..

I completely agree... Even though I prefer HD800, the only reason for selling LCD-2 is my serious lack of money at the moment. LCD-2 are so beautiful (soundwise) and unique within high-end... Wish I had the money to keep them!

Get HD800, LugBug, but do not sell them... Those two headphones will give you all you ever wanted from headphones.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #41 of 149
You, sir, have just made my day. Thank you...
Quote:
Well written review.

Just saying..

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #43 of 149
Agree with the review. Felt that way immediately after owning both. HD800s scale higher too. If they sound too distant, get a silver cable. Their imaging is more precise and accurate than the HE6 with silver.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #45 of 149
Quote:
Agree with the review. Felt that way immediately after owning both. HD800s scale higher too. If they sound too distant, get a silver cable. Their imaging is more precise and accurate than the HE6 with silver.

The Silver does not endanger the HD800 to become brighter? Only curious, not trying to make a statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back