My take on LCD-2 and HD800
Feb 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #61 of 149
Quote:
Well said. Now that I can agree with. I perceive it to be more of a difference in delicacy and finesse. This is where that extra body may actually hurt the LCD2.2 because it just makes it so much harder to hear those subtle little details. Again, this is kind of a genre specific issue, since there are many genres where that extra body in the LCD2.2 is really appreciated. I'm starting to think I'm going to need at least 2 headphones going forward. The plan was to replace both of these guys with the LCD3, but now I'm not so sure. My wallet sure hopes the LCD3 can get me enough of that HD800 flavor...

There is a guy doing reviews on You Tube who says it won't. : (

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #63 of 149
Quote:
I guess I'll find out soon enough. Maybe as early as next week.

I would love it if the LCD-3 could give us everything we want in one HP. After Tyll's raves, I thought this was it, Jesus in a headphone, transparent and detailed and clear and sweet and "perfect"... Then the buzz dies down for a bit and nay sayers are heard. I have been on a Stax heading for some time, now with the SRM-006ts and SR-507, and I have been gritting my teeth and trying to suck it up to buy a used SR-007 and maybe a SRM-727. Those kinds of  costs are getting very high by my standards, however, and yet the folks in the Stax thread say, well, if you don't have a KGSS or better, you won't really know what the Omega 2 (007) can do, and it goes even higher. So, I bet there are a lot of us out there who would love for the HD-800 or the LCD-3 or the ??? to come along at saner price levels (vs. 009, etc.), with more modest amp requirements, and hit the home run. I am anxious to hear what you think about the LCD-3. I do wish they weren't so heavy and clumsy. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #65 of 149
Quote:

I would love it if the LCD-3 could give us everything we want in one HP. After Tyll's raves, I thought this was it, Jesus in a headphone, transparent and detailed and clear and sweet and "perfect"... Then the buzz dies down for a bit and nay sayers are heard. I have been on a Stax heading for some time, now with the SRM-006ts and SR-507, and I have been gritting my teeth and trying to suck it up to buy a used SR-007 and maybe a SRM-727. Those kinds of  costs are getting very high by my standards, however, and yet the folks in the Stax thread say, well, if you don't have a KGSS or better, you won't really know what the Omega 2 (007) can do, and it goes even higher. So, I bet there are a lot of us out there who would love for the HD-800 or the LCD-3 or the ??? to come along at saner price levels (vs. 009, etc.), with more modest amp requirements, and hit the home run. I am anxious to hear what you think about the LCD-3. I do wish they weren't so heavy and clumsy. 

I will definitely post some impressions after I get my LCD3.

Funny enough, I don't really find the LCD2.2 that heavy and awkward. That is, until I switch back to the HD800. The HD800 really is a dream to wear. It's feels like I'm not even wearing headphones, plus my ears stay nice and cool.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #66 of 149
Quote:

LCD3 is an incremental upgrade to LCD2; if you've already heard LCD2r2 in detail then you could extrapolate what LCD3 sounds like simply from others' comparative impressions (of which there are lots of).

My demo impressions have been that LCD3 has a significantly less prominent and less grainy treble that extends better, a lighter more refined bass, and less "thick and syrupy" but still Audeze-level lush midrange. All relative to LCD2r2 of course, not absolute evaluations. LCD3 also has a slightly less wall-o-sound imaging that still sounds a bit closed-in. All of these changes are due to 1) thinner diaphragm and 2) better earpads.

Take all of that into consideration and you can judge for yourself if that would be a "perfect" sound to you.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #67 of 149
I have finished my take on these 2 wonderful headphones. You can read it on headfi or on my blog . I love them both actually :)

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #68 of 149
Quote:
I will definitely post some impressions after I get my LCD3.

Funny enough, I don't really find the LCD2.2 that heavy and awkward. That is, until I switch back to the HD800. The HD800 really is a dream to wear. It's feels like I'm not even wearing headphones, plus my ears stay nice and cool.

You can make yourself live with them but Audeze need to do something with ergonomic for sure. As much as I loved LCD-2.2, the wearing comfort bothered me to the point of stealing enjoyment of the music.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #69 of 149
Quote:
You can make yourself live with them but Audeze need to do something with ergonomic for sure. As much as I loved LCD-2.2, the wearing comfort bothered me to the point of stealing enjoyment of the music.

Comfort is such a subjective topic, but I can see where you are coming from. My LCD2.2 is good enough as to not steal my enjoyment of the music. Sometimes I even forget that it's on my head. 

That said, I certainly wouldn't object to a lighter more compact LCD2.2.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #70 of 149
Quote:

I feel somehow validated that you've mentioned this about the LCD-2 as well and wanted to quote it to bring more attention to it.
wink.gif
That was one of the things that bothered me most about both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 when I tried to listen to classical music on them. I've actually found that true musical dynamics are lost on most headphones and only a very few headphones I've heard accurately portray "quiet" and "loud".

This is true IMO. It's not only the microdynamics, but in comparison to the HD800, they also lack subtlety, nuance and delicacy.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #71 of 149
Quote:

This is true IMO. It's not only the microdynamics, but in comparison to the HD800, they also lack subtlety, nuance and delicacy.

Ah yes, perhaps Audeze wanted to present the "big American sound", so to speak.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #72 of 149
Quote:

Shahrose: Have you heard the LCD-3s? They certainly don't lack subtlety and really hit "all the right notes" to my ears.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #73 of 149
Haven't heard the 3s. Comment was aimed at the 2s.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #75 of 149
Just got the LCD3, will be comparing to the LCD2 on the Gungnir and Mjonlir with a high quality cable. Then I will be getting an HD800 to compare with one of the two Audezes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back