My "subjective" experience with AKM vs ESS DAC chip "sound signature".
Mar 11, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #61 of 112
Oh I certainly agree. Same case for people that take measurements as absolute fact.
Yip. I think the first R2R dongle dac - the Cayin RU6 - quite frankly has blown the measurements argument (as to how good a dac sounds) right out of the park. There has not been much mention of R2R as a dac architecture vs DS (AKM, ES, CL).

I have a dac with each architecture, but the RU6, for me, is the most musical and organic. Not too harsh in the treble, but neither bass lacking. Mids are beautifully presented and all seems effortless with the RU6. It never over emphasises certain frequencies nor recedes others in the background. As it should be I would say.

This is never an experience I have had with DS dacs. But, I haven't tried some of the most modern dacs (M15, DC03/04 pro, etc) in fairness not to mention modern desktop DS dacs. Maybe someone could shed light on any evolution to my argument about R2R vs DS.

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #62 of 112
Have you any experience with dacs with Cirrus Logic chips? How do they compare lined up with ESS Sabre dacs and AKM dacs?
The FiiO Q11 has a Cirrus Logic chip. It's my second FiiO device. I can't judge it because I have no other experience yet. I'm thinking my next purchase will be an ESS-equipped iFi Uno. But I'm wanting a Burr Brown-equipped iFi xDSD Gryphon. However, the Chord Mojo 2 is really intriguing me with its homemade DAC. Too expensive, though

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #63 of 112
Yip. I think the first R2R dongle dac - the Cayin RU6 - quite frankly has blown the measurements argument (as to how good a dac sounds) right out of the park. There has not been much mention of R2R as a dac architecture vs DS (AKM, ES, CL).

I have a dac with each architecture, but the RU6, for me, is the most musical and organic. Not too harsh in the treble, but neither bass lacking. Mids are beautifully presented and all seems effortless with the RU6. It never over emphasises certain frequencies nor recedes others in the background. As it should be I would say.

This is never an experience I have had with DS dacs. But, I haven't tried some of the most modern dacs (M15, DC03/04 pro, etc) in fairness not to mention modern desktop DS dacs. Maybe someone could shed light on any evolution to my argument about R2R vs DS.
I think I may buy a Cayin RU6 as I keep trying various dongles using the ESS 9219 series dac. That is a $12 part and most dongles say "dual," but the chip itself is 2-channel, so I am not sure. What I am getting convinced of is that I do not care for the ESS dac sound signature.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #64 of 112
There's so many ESS and AKM devices out there, but I'd have to say, the CS43131 beats the other ones in the same price range that I've personally tried, in some regards, however, there are so many dongles out there in a similar vein and price range that I haven't tried. My only problem is, I'm iffy on the quality control of CL-based devices, but it's my experience with one model, but still, a variance in sound reproduction could mean a variance in the quality of production over potentially everything about CL-based implementations, even though one doesn't sound particularly bad over the other. If I had to look past the flaws, I'd say the iBasso DC03Pro is the best "overall-sounding" portable dac within the $100 price range (that I've tried so far), but also, especially if you look at sheer specs, and price per performance and size for low-medium impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #65 of 112
There's so many ESS and AKM devices out there, but I'd have to say, the CS43131 beats the other ones in the same price range that I've personally tried, in some regards, however, there are so many dongles out there in a similar vein and price range that I haven't tried. My only problem is, I'm iffy on the quality control of CL-based devices, but it's my experience with one model, but still, a variance in sound reproduction could mean a variance in the quality of production over potentially everything about CL-based implementations, even though one doesn't sound particularly bad over the other. If I had to look past the flaws, I'd say the iBasso DC03Pro is the best "overall-sounding" portable dac within the $100 price range (that I've tried so far), but also, especially if you look at sheer specs, and price per performance and size for low-medium impedance headphones.
I had the iBasso DC05 which appears to have the exact same specs / chip as the 03, but no volume control. It did not impress me...but maybe i should have been more patient.
why is the newer iBasso a "lower" model number.....anyone compare the 05 to the 03?

EDIT:
the 05 was ESS 9129.......and a bit harsh. the 03 (and 04) are Cirrus.....gonna try it.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #67 of 112
Then there’s the rabbit hole we could go down as to the DAC manufacturer, implementation, and in conjunction with THX technology, such as certain FiiO M11 models, the FiiO AM3D amp module for the Q5s, and stuff like the Monoprice Monolith with THX (which I believe uses the AK4499EQ chips as well).

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #68 of 112
Just tried a dual CS43918 Based chi-fi dongle. Overly warm, but stage is there. Not sure how to feel.

DX1 is more "clear" subjectively.. but thats expected.. apples to oranges.. dongle vs full enclosed dac.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #69 of 112
Just tried a dual CS43918 Based chi-fi dongle. Overly warm, but stage is there. Not sure how to feel.

DX1 is more "clear" subjectively.. but thats expected.. apples to oranges.. dongle vs full enclosed dac.
I suspect CL-based chips tend to be a balance between warm and clinical, like extensive smooth lows and crispy highs, with slightly anemic but well presented lower-mids, slight lack in the mid-bass?

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #70 of 112
I suspect CL-based chips tend to be a balance between warm and clinical, like extensive smooth lows and crispy highs, with slightly anemic but well presented lower-mids, slight lack in the mid-bass?

Likely depends on implementation/unit. Creative G6 I had was a bit more neutral and balanced. This is warmer than the AKM DX1... very odd to me.

Relatively cirrus apple dongle is dirty, but has the sound signature I want.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #71 of 112
Likely depends on implementation/unit. Creative G6 I had was a bit more neutral and balanced. This is warmer than the AKM DX1... very odd to me.

Relatively cirrus apple dongle is dirty, but has the sound signature I want.

I sent my DX1 back. I'll prob avoid AKM stuff for a little (Soundstage is too consistent, even if its all in my head), at least with my preferred headphone stack.

The dongle I bought (Truthear Shio) has the soundstage I prefer, just wish it wasn't overly warm... Interested in FiiO KA5 and IBasso DC04PRO now.

All 3 compete with each other (twin new gen cirrus + decent amp), but I couldn't resist SHIO at $60 USD. (Build quality/material on center body isn't the greatest, but its half the cost of both the competitors).

A lot of people say its similar to Moondrop Moon River 2, which kinda makes sense given the truthear engineer apparently works for Moondrop. (sites are also similar layout).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #72 of 112
I sent my DX1 back. I'll prob avoid AKM stuff for a little (Soundstage is too consistent, even if its all in my head), at least with my preferred headphone stack.

The dongle I bought (Truthear Shio) has the soundstage I prefer, just wish it wasn't overly warm... Interested in FiiO KA5 and IBasso DC04PRO now.

All 3 compete with each other (twin new gen cirrus + decent amp), but I couldn't resist SHIO at $60 USD. (Build quality/material on center body isn't the greatest, but its half the cost of both the competitors).

A lot of people say its similar to Moondrop Moon River 2, which kinda makes sense given the truthear engineer apparently works for Moondrop. (sites are also similar layout).
You could try another DX1 unit, and see if there is a difference in soundstage.

I have multiple dacs of the same model (usually for backup reasons, in case of the failure of one, or general wear), and found two of the same model can sound a little different from each other in some, or, a lot of areas of the overall sound signature, even if you may think it's all in you're head. Remember, slight differences can give you either more massively positive, or negative impressions that can add or subtract from your total experience, especially if are seeking a certain signature, or quality of the sound.

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #73 of 112
You could try another DX1 unit, and see if there is a difference in soundstage.

I have multiple dacs of the same model (usually for backup reasons, in case of the failure of one, or general wear), and found two of the same model can sound a little different from each other in some, or, a lot of areas of the overall sound signature, even if you may think it's all in you're head. Remember, slight differences can give you either more massively positive, or negative impressions that can add or subtract from your total experience, especially if are seeking a certain signature, or quality of the sound.

Eh, its a nice well built unit, but I'm pretty set on this cirrus chips atm. Wish The creative X5 wasn't so overpriced.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #74 of 112
Less resolving, lesser detailed/instrument separation, somewhat thick, warm, and dark. This makes them sound bad, but they actually aren't. I've previously owned the Opus#1s, and still have my Hiby R5.
I prefer AKM in general. ESS is typically too harsh and bright for my tastes. Dac chips are only a portion of the end result. Implementation, tuning, other components are at play as well.
love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back